Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Elmo11080
Serial Port
Views: 23,492
Message 1 of 18

Legion Y520 overclock

So, as the title says, I am a proud owner of legion y520 with i7 cpu

laptop is running so cool that I decided to overclock the gpu a little bit.

Thing that I want to note as well is that cpu is running in mid/high 70

So I did an undervolt since I noticed that cpu will downclock from 3.4 to 2.6 once it goes above 75C

with unervolt of 135 it is on stable clock of 3.4 and the temps dont go over 72C 

as for gpu the temps are pretty much low not exceeding 65C so I decided to to a core overclock by 200 and cache by 500, the temps actually dont change much for gpu so I am happy. 

End result is that I got 5-15fps extra on BF1 on ultra setting

so, I want to get your oppinion if you think that this is safe since the temps are looking good Smiley Happy 

what is your experience with your legion? 

///// EDIT//// Update

So I read that cpu will throttle ehen ever it tries to pull more than 45W? 

It makes sense to an extent but I cant confirm this as of yet

daUseros
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,405
Message 2 of 18

Re: Legion Y520 overclock

hi. I think the limit of 2.6 ghz is because the cpu is not used at its's full performance(like 50%) . i run benchmarking on intel extreme tuning utility and it reached 81C with 3.4 ghz(without cooler pad), no more being  stuck at 2.6ghz and 70C. the fps you've got are because you oc the gpu. and btw, what tool did you use for gpu oc ?

Elmo11080
Serial Port
Views: 23,403
Message 3 of 18

I used msi afterburner, well even when I use xtu, the temps dont go over 65C so I cant confirm if it is utilization or not,however I doubt it is since once I did the undervolt the cpu stays locked on 3.4 where without undervolt it doesnt
Elmo11080
Serial Port
Views: 23,402
Message 4 of 18

It is strange then if it will throttle down on 75C, its not having any major impact on the performance but if 75 is throttle limit then I have to say I am not to happy with that
daUseros
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,384
Message 5 of 18

i just undervolted by 0.130. i run prime 95. at normal voltage i get 70 with 2.7 ghz. at -0.130V i get 81-83 at 3.4 ghz. sometimes it just decides that the temperature is too much so it goes 65 with 2.7 ghz. the tests were done using deepcool x6 cooling pad and no turbo mode ( as it's just too noisy). also, i have legion y720.

Elmo11080
Serial Port
Views: 23,379
Message 6 of 18

Exactly it is confusing right? Anyway, with undervolt it seems to be fine.
I read slmewhere that if the cpu will pull more than 45w it will downclock, which kind off makes sense, I have y520 tho but to be honest I am very happy with the performance of the laptop
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 23,410
Message 7 of 18

Bear in mind this is all at your own risk.

Traditionally, the system is throttled through Intel DPTF (Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework) at the OS level, and then had a emergency hi-level thermal throttle caked into the BIOS / processor die. Intel SpeedStep also contributes by dynamically changing your core speed as needed. Usually this one isn't an issue, but it could cause studders if not ramping up quick enough.

Although I don't recommend usually disabling DPTF, I ended up doing it on my Yoga 3 Pro to get the clock to run above 900mHz all the time. It resulted in the laptop running MUCH warmer, but I wasn't bottlenecked all the time. If you are finding the 65C threshold too low, try removing the DPTF software and driver, and disable it in the BIOS (if shown). Just be aware that the laptop will run warmer, and if it gets too warm, will shut off when tjmax is achieved.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
Elmo11080
Serial Port
Views: 23,371
Message 8 of 18

Hey thanks for the reply!

I manage to solve it with throttle stop Smiley Happy but your answer is helpfull as well!
I am actually very happy with the laptop, and honestly I had my doubts in lenovo, but, as of now it is serving me well.
Downside so far is display quality and low C treshold, which as mentioned I managed to resolve!
As far as it is under 85C I am happy
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 23,368
Message 9 of 18

Glad to hear!

I tore mine down a bit, and the display looks to be a standard DP connection, so there may be a way in the future to retrofit in a 4K display (I have to revisit my knowledge of displayport. I know the old LVDS stuff was a nightmare by comparison...)

Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
Elmo11080
Serial Port
Views: 23,366
Message 10 of 18

Well, I just adjust the brightness in game, but overall its not that food tbh, I have also acer v15 nitro black edition and display is much better ( used to be before I puched it) however thermal job is disaster while on lenovo I am amazed actually like 70C max on both cpu and gpu which for laptop I find to be amazingb

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors