Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AxelT
Paper Tape
Views: 834
Message 1 of 13

Legion Y520, suddenly starts lagging

Okay, so my Lenovo Legion Y520 has been running fine for the past 8 months, with the exception of a problem with the battery charging, but that's another topic. 

Yesterday my wife cleaned and had pulled out the cable to my laptop. When I came home and started the computer, unaware of the power cable being disconnected, the computer ran out of battery and shut off. I put the cable back in, started the computer and started my game again. And boy did it lag. 

I figured it had something to do with the battery not being charged to a 100%. I have had that problem before. So I left it over night to fully charge, and this morning I tried it again. Still laggy. 

Okay community, tell me what's going on here. What can I test? Be aware that I am a complete idiot with these things, so please stay very basic. 
Any help is greatly appriciated! Smiley Happy

pranav_stefan
SCSI Port
Views: 823
Message 2 of 13

Re: Legion Y520, suddenly starts lagging

First make sure that your laptop and charger did not have any physical damage! or water damage!

Lagging can be because of many reasons. You need to first find out the root cause! It might be that one of your RAM sticks is not getting detected in motherboad and you are seeing performance reduction in games. May be your charger is not supplying enough power because of damage. May be your charger's cable is damaged. Or may be since you had unexpected shutdown your power profiles got currupted so switch to maximum performance or  create new power plan and try.

Or might be because windows installed some update or driver in background and that is not working out properly. There are 1000 reasons. You need to get some numbers before some one can help you

AxelT
Paper Tape
Views: 821
Message 3 of 13

The power cable is fine, it was just unplugged. As if it was to be moved. If that damaged is I would be surprised. 

Alright, so maximum performance is not an option in my advanced power settings. I've had "Balanced" set for 8 months, and it has never been a problem before. This appeared out of the blue. 

*EDIT*

Okay, so I managed to make another "power plan" or whatever through the advanced options. I set everything to maximum performance, and still it doesn't work. 

here's how it looks in task manager when I run Jurassic World Evolution (which has worked perfect before yesterday). The red thing on the right is pending between 0-100% pretty quickly. 

pranav_stefan
SCSI Port
Views: 803
Message 4 of 13

@AxelT wrote:

The power cable is fine, it was just unplugged. As if it was to be moved. If that damaged is I would be surprised. 

Alright, so maximum performance is not an option in my advanced power settings. I've had "Balanced" set for 8 months, and it has never been a problem before. This appeared out of the blue. 

*EDIT*

Okay, so I managed to make another "power plan" or whatever through the advanced options. I set everything to maximum performance, and still it doesn't work. 

here's how it looks in task manager when I run Jurassic World Evolution (which has worked perfect before yesterday). The red thing on the right is pending between 0-100% pretty quickly. 

Looking at the pick you attached it seems your memory is 80% full and The game has only got 1.3 GB. I doubt mordern games work on that much RAM. Please confirm that your RAM memory is showing properly in task manager. Also did you apply and windows update or driver updates recently?

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 799
Message 5 of 13

@pranav_stefan wrote:

@AxelT

Looking at the pick you attached it seems your memory is 80% full and The game has only got 1.3 GB. I doubt mordern games work on that much RAM. Please confirm that your RAM memory is showing properly in task manager. Also did you apply and windows update or driver updates recently?

The 80% pertains to total memory, and has nothing to do with the 1.3GB allocation for the game itself. Not to mention the 1.3GB is not necesarily accurate either. The 100% GPU is very much understandable, because it is a game that is running.

AxelT, how much memory do you have in your notebook?

Can you take a look at the Prestanda tab (Performance) and select CPU, and play your game. Then switch back and check the CPU graph is you see any spikes in there?

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
AxelT
Paper Tape
Views: 742
Message 6 of 13

Okay, thanks everyone for the replies. I thought I'd give you an update. 

I have updated the drivers for my graphics card etc. And I also downloaded the drivers for my chipset and my energy something. I thought maybe something there might have f*cked up. 

In the beginning the problem seemed to be fixed. Now, it has gotten worse than it was before. Even opening this window and writing this, makes it lag. It randomly shuts down steam and hence the game I am playing. My wife is not able to play The Sims at all, since it will not launch, it just loads. 

Also, it still doesn't charge the battery to 100%. 

*The computer is not warm. 
* I have 8GB of RAM, I saw someone asked. 

AxelT
Paper Tape
Views: 741
Message 7 of 13

Here's how the Performance Tab looks while I play my game on Steam. 
Also, this is after I downloaded some drivers to my chipset and energy something. 

pranav_stefan
SCSI Port
Views: 726
Message 8 of 13

@AxelT wrote:

Here's how the Performance Tab looks while I play my game on Steam. 
Also, this is after I downloaded some drivers to my chipset and energy something. 

I still think it is the memory that is causing lag. look at the recommended system spec https://store.steampowered.com/app/648350/Jurassic_World_Evolution/

8 GB is minimum needed for this game which means you have to turn the graphics to absolute LOW in order to make it work in 8 GB. Hope this will solve your problem. At least give it a try...

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 715
Message 9 of 13

If you look at the screenshot, you will see that the CPU/GPU peak very much shows where the game was being played. For this same period, the memory graph does not show 100% memory utilization or even peaks. So the game did not request more memory that could not be given to it. Based on this, I doubt that the lagging is caused by memory.

Also, when the game started the Disk 0 shows activity, but it goes away during gameplay, so after the game was loaded, there was no load on the disk either.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
pranav_stefan
SCSI Port
Views: 693
Message 10 of 13

@lenardg wrote:

If you look at the screenshot, you will see that the CPU/GPU peak very much shows where the game was being played. For this same period, the memory graph does not show 100% memory utilization or even peaks. So the game did not request more memory that could not be given to it. Based on this, I doubt that the lagging is caused by memory.

Also, when the game started the Disk 0 shows activity, but it goes away during gameplay, so after the game was loaded, there was no load on the disk either.

Memmoy allocation does not really work that way. It is not same as CPU where it is safe to reach 100%. If memory usage becomes 100% your OS will crash. Why? Well OS always needs some free RAM memory in userspace to work properly. This is why every os including Android, iOS etc have dedicated hidden processes that keep monitoring your memory and push relatively low priority PAGES back to disk CACHE. Hence your memory would most likely never go beyond 80 to 90% but you will face performance degradation since your required PAGES are no longer in RAM but are on disk (Hard disk or SSD) and reading those PAGES back from disk takes significantly longer than READING them from RAM. This is proven by continious 100% disk usage in his screenshot.

Remember this is how a GOOD program execution looks like:

1. You open a program or game and OS indentifies required files to read and bring it in RAM from disk. OS will not put entire game or program in disk. It identified which part of game or program you are in right now and only brings that part in RAM from disk. So in a game if you are in X location of map then only modules related to that location are on RAM and other things are back on disk.

2. Then disk activity goes to 100% since identification is done. Now it bring those modules to RAM. This is also called LOADING... Evey gamer is familiar with this term.

3. After loading is done you can play safely assuming that you have enough RAM that everything needed for a game to run can be kept in your RAM at a time. If your RAM is too small then morden OS does not tell you that you can not run this game. Instead they try to do memory management. So push low priority PAGES back to disk and bring in new needed pages in RAM. This helps a bit but if requirement of game is too much this will result in high disk activity becasue some pages are pushed back to disk and new pages are being read from disk continiously. Makeing your games RUN but with poor performance in place of NOT RUNNING at all.

So what is needed to solve your problem is that disk activity should not be 100% while you are playing game. To solve that you need more RAM so that LOADING only happens once and then evething stays in RAM. No need of disk activity while game is running.

Anyways this is what suspect from the info i have.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors