09-11-2020

CA

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

Legion Y530-15ICH NVIDIA Gforce GTX 1080 Ti failure

2020-09-11, 2:51 AM

Hi  there, I've tried to figure out what happened but I fired up a game and my screen appeared to freeze for a couple moments and my computer rebooted.  Second time I attempted to access the game it did the same thing and then my Nvidia output stopped working altogether.

Geforce Experience had a game driver update available and it seemed to install but not go away (over and over).

Through Nvidia forum, I performed the following (after ensuring windows was completely updated):

1. Disconnected from the Internet
  2. booted to safe mode
  3. ran DDU (to uninstall drivers) for NVIDIA (with no reboot option)
  4. ran DDU for the Intel graphics (with no reboot option)
  5. rebooted back to normal mode
  6. installed the Intel driver for my model from the Lenovo website.
  7. rebooted
  8. installed the Nvidia VGA driver from the lenovo website
  9. rebooted
  10. installed the other Nvidia driver frpm the lenovo website/
  11. rebooted
  12. reconnected to the internet

It failed to resolve the issue.  The NVIDIA card appears in Device Manager with a status of "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

If I disable and re-enable the device in device manager, it appears with a functioning status but still no graphics ability (and no ability to even open NVIDIA Control Panel - even after restarting the services).

After reboot, the status goes back to "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

I suspect given the very first symptom that this is a hardware malfunction (which is sad as I had upgraded the RAM and Nvme drive last year) and I was looking online but cannot seem to find if the NVIDIA card is part of the Motherboard on this machine or if it is a separate thing I can replace (as it is listed in PCI Slot 1 (PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0) but I presume this is just generic even if it were attached to the Motherboard)

I guess firstly, if anyone else has seen something similar or has a suggestion of what I can check / test that would be exceptional and I'm happy to test pretty much anything at this point.

And secondly, can someone confirm - to replace the NVIDIA card on this laptop I have to replace the motherboard or is it something that can be replaced individually?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: 

I have also tried the same process with the drivers provided by Intel and Nvidia directly.  

I have also recently concluded the main board does contain the Nvidia GPU as  that is where the ports are for HDMI and mini display-  an $855 CAD replacement  which is more than my initial cost of the laptop.  As this seems to look very much to m e like a hardware failure, it is quite upsetting and discouraging.

Solved! See the solution
Options

1308 Posts

05-01-2012

IL

2090 Signins

22427 Page Views

• Views: 22427
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Legion Y530-15ICH NVIDIA Gforce GTX 1080 Ti failure

2020-09-11, 6:42 AM

Remove both Intel and Nvidia drivers.

Install Intel DCH driver from Intel (not Lenovo). Search forum for link (latest igfx_win10_100.8587)

Install Nvidia DCH driver from Nvidia (not Lenovo). Search forum for link (latest 452.06)

Options

3 Posts

09-11-2020

CA

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-09-11, 11:55 AM

Thanks alex, I tried this first as I was told the NVIDIA drivers relied on the Intel ones and I just assumed I would  want the vendor  of each video card but someone on the NVIDIA forums side told me that t hey had to use the Lenovo specific ones when they had a similar issue so I tried again with the  ones provided directly from   Lenovo.

Sadly  this thing is out of warranty and looking at the pictures/videos, the manboard is what contains the external HDMI and miniDVI output so I am pretty sure that I would need to replace that (lenovo cost to replace: $885 CAD  Original price for the laptop was $799 at Shoppers Drugmart (of all places) so if I wanted to repair this, it is actually cheaper for me to buy a new one when it goes back on sale (assuming it is not currently as it was March 28/29 2020)  but honestly, I am not impressed at all of the quality of t he hardware (not to mention I had to upgrade the Drive and RAM just to make it  usable to begin with) or the lackluster support (not against the community but specifically Lenovo) so I think I'll just take the bit extra and build out a low end gaming desktop that I can invest in over time and upgrade piece by piece.  Better than investing any more money into something that will just become a homework machine for my children once the timer runs out on the malfunctioning hardware.

When I got the NvMe drive and RAM  in this t hing it was a pretty decent machine for what I paid for it (on sale with PC optimum points during one of the 'spend your point events' it cost me less than $100 out of pocket) but I have an Asus laptop that I purchased over 10 years ago that still  has all it's working parts - never had an issue.

@ alex5723 wrote:

Remove both Intel and Nvidia drivers.

Install Intel DCH driver from Intel (not Lenovo). Search forum for link (latest igfx_win10_100.8587)

Install Nvidia DCH driver from Nvidia (not Lenovo). Search forum for link (latest 452.06)

@ alex5723 wrote:

Options

1 Posts

09-14-2020

US

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2020-09-14, 18:54 PM

I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 and having the same issue.  I've tried all the steps you've undertaken, in addition to a clean reset of the OS.  Both adapters show a problem:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics 630

The NVIDIA adapter is showing the (Code 43) on the adapter's Properties/General tab

My laptop is also out of warranty.  I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or a software/driver issue.

Options

3 Posts

09-11-2020

CA

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-09-16, 18:05 PM

I think it's safe to say that Lenovo doesn't care and it's likely that no one from their support would be looking through the forums but I am going to save up enough cash to buy a mid level gaming tower that I can upgrade parts over time.  I am going to steer very clear from Lenovo for anything in the future.

I didn't even have an option to call and talk to someone after I put in my serial.  They very clearly say "Oh out of Warranty - you may go fornicate yourself"

For your issue, the Nvidia driver relies on the Intel so perhaps you have a problem with the Intel chipset or driver.  For me, my last ditch effort is going to be to try this:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/

it was given to me from a member in the Nvidia forum (a much more helpful forum by the way) as a last ditch effort but I'll scan and inspect all this before I attempt anything myself.

Good luck with your issue. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete