Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samyatrous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 135
Message 11 of 14

Re: Legion Y530 AC Adapter coil whine

Just did the update.

I still have the same sound coming out from the AC.

Is it normal to have it ? 

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 126
Message 12 of 14

Guys, please, let me be clear that coil whine is not a software problem or a BIOS issue. There are several potential solutions to coil whine, but many times they DO NOT work.

Coil whine is basically a high frequency vibrations of the capacitors. There are usually vibration dampners used to stop this, but over time or due to poor application these dampners can deteriorate. When these vibrations enter the frequency of our audible range we hear a high pitched noise.

You can try changing the charger, but it may not fix it.

Coil Whine is not harmful to the system or any accessory , it is simply annoying to have.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Dan_Petrescu
Token Ring
Views: 121
Message 13 of 14

@rockykoston wrote:

Guys, please, let me be clear that coil whine is not a software problem or a BIOS issue. There are several potential solutions to coil whine, but many times they DO NOT work.

Coil whine is basically a high frequency vibrations of the capacitors. There are usually vibration dampners used to stop this, but over time or due to poor application these dampners can deteriorate. When these vibrations enter the frequency of our audible range we hear a high pitched noise.

You can try changing the charger, but it may not fix it.

Coil Whine is not harmful to the system or any accessory , it is simply annoying to have.

What about this ?  3) Adjust PWM inverter frequency as 4KHz. This is from latest BIOS ( 8JCN49WW ) changelog. This should fix the problem, I guess. I don't have this issue anymore. How do you explain that ? You can add/adjust/fix many things from BIOS, such as the coil whine.

Guru
Views: 111
Message 14 of 14

I agree that changing / varying frequency CAN help but this is not a fix for everyone. Trust me I've tried frequency fixes several times in unlocked BIOSes and GPU overclocking/underclocking.

I said, there are solutions that may fix the coil whine, but there is no sure shot way to fix it for everyone at one go.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors