Views: 6,155
Message 1 of 38

Legion Y530 Fan Control

Specs: 

Processor, I5 8300H

RAM, 16 GB

SSD, 256 GB

Graphics, Intel UHD 630 and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050

2nd screen, 27 inch LG 3840x2160 on NVIDIA.

Hi guys,

the fans of my Legion Y530 keep switching on like every 2 minutes, just for 3 seconds or so then quit.

Its not like scheduled as its not always the case, but even when I have nothing open, so pretty random.

So I downloaded Speccy and looked at the temperatures.

After boot up without opening any programs, CPU: 45/55 degrees and GPU (NVIDIA) 40/45 degrees.

CPU use is 1/2%, RAM 15%, SSD 1%.

No idea if this is too high or normal, but weird part is, when I do open some programs (pokerstars, pokersoftware, database)

and some tabs on chrome the temperatures dont go up, maybe 2 degrees. Neither does the % use in CPU and SSD,

only my RAM goes up to 25/30%.

If I use turbo function of the fans, cntrl+shft+1, temperature goes down like 5 degrees.

But shouldnt the temperature be lower at start, without doing any hard work?

I assume the fans are automatically turned on when a certain temp is reached? Is this maybe set too low?

If these temperatures are normal, what can I do to stop the fans keep turning on?

Thanks for all the help,

B.M.

I just ran a virusscan by Bullguard, my CPU and SSD usage went up to 90/100% and CPU temperature to 70/80 degrees.

This doesnt look normal to me. Virusscan was clean by the way, I also ran adwcleaner.

The laptop is brand new, just own it few days so its still pretty empty.

urbanjake
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,942
Message 2 of 38

Re: Legion Y530 Fan Control

I'm having the same issue, I love my new Y530 but these fans are driving me crazy! I click any program (my web browser mostly) and they always run full throttle for a few seconds. I barely have stuff running in the background except for like Windows Defender. I would expect full throttle fans playing games but not for lightweight tasks.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,915
Message 3 of 38

How is the room ambient temp? For the Y530 I am using, the fans would only kick in whenever I game. Browsing or streaming movies seems fine. Normally the fan would kick in after 2 minutes of gaming then stop whenever I exit the game after 5 seconds.

@B_M_ ... I am not sure if the output of extra monitor causes the heat on GPU

@urbanjake ... I have Nod32 running as AV then just browsing on Chrome ... Hmmm what BIOS version are you guys on?

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
B_M_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,912
Message 4 of 38

Thanks both for replying.

What I've found out so far, the temperatures I mentioned are standard so nothing wrong there.

Without my extra monitor connected the GPU heat drops dramatically. This is for the NVIDIA card which I used for extra monitor, on 4K  60Hz settings HDMI connected. The UHD 630 cant handle 4K on 60 Hz with HDMI, maybe I should try it with a DisplayPort and UHD630.

Another option I haven't tried yet is what happens if I lower resolution from 4K to 1080. But I bought this laptop because it can handle multiple screens and 4K 60Hz both on HDMI and DisplayPort, wanted to use it like a desktop and laptop. But has to be quiet for that.

Not sure about this, but I also think there's a difference between using the laptop on battery, or on the charger.

I'm using it now without charger and extra monitor, been browsing for a few hours now and the fans haven't turned on yet.

There's also a setting in Win10 where you can choose between active or passive cooling for both on battery or charger.

Still I think there should be a way to control this, like a "silent" "normal" and "max" modus, or even better adjust the fans manually.

Ambient temp when posting was very high, midsummer here, was about 35 degrees Celcius I guess. So yeah, that will affect it,

but my idea is it has more to do with the NVIDIA GPU causing the fans to work harder. Without using NVIDIA the fans hardly ever start.

BIOS version is the most current if I'm right, 8JCN43WW

urbanjake
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,902
Message 5 of 38

I did some testing without the charger and surpisingly, I got the same result... no fan spinups when starting programs. Getting somewhere.

I can confirm I'm on the latest BIOS (8JCN43WW). I use Windows Defender + Firefox mainly.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,876
Message 6 of 38

@B_M_ ... 4k monitor definitely will put some strain to the GPU together with the ambient temp guess thats why your fans are spinning ... I am running my Y530 without an external monitors. Will bring this unit to office to test out some external monitors there.

@urbanjake ... Hmmm ... I am using the laptop with the charger + Chrome (7 tabs open) + CS:Go running in the background ... The fan is not spinning though.. I am on BIOS 8JCN21WW (seems pretty old - May 2018)... I am not sure if I want to upgrade the BIOS cause its working fine so far ...

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
urbanjake
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,864
Message 7 of 38

This actually happened on 8JCN21WW, before the BIOS update.

I have mine custom configured with an i5-8300h, 16gb RAM and 1050ti (not regular 1050) if that helps.

I'm only using the screen and not an external monitor.

Dacaramo
What's DOS?
Views: 5,816
Message 8 of 38

Hi there, I have the same problem. While doing almost nothing the fan kicks in like every 15 min for like 3 sec, but it is not normal. I have alredy set a quiet mode in the power settings, setting the cooling system to passive, and lowing the max power of the CPU to 75% instead of 100%, while i'm not gaming obiously. But the problem persists and is anoying. I also have the latest version of the BIOS, but It's imposible to manage the fan speeds at that BIOS. I need some help this is so frustrating, I'm even not using 10% of the CPU, the fans should be quiet. The laptop is brand new and the hardware diagnostic says that every piece of hardware is working perfectly fine. Maybe the fan setting of this Y530 wasn't well set. I don't know.

Digustavo
Punch Card
Views: 5,024
Message 9 of 38

Hi, I have exactly the same problem on a Y530 i7 and 1050ti.

Every 10-20 seconds the fans will spike for 2 seconds and then quiet down. The temperatures never exceed 50 degrees Celsius.

Seems like whenever the processor goes into turbo boost (just by surfing internet) and even if the temperatures are low, fans will spike.

Saw some recommended switching from chrome to edge, but no difference for me.

Anyone tried anything successfully?

Thanks

HuyTa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,961
Message 10 of 38

I experienced the samething, but after i disabled the turbo boost everything became normal. I beleive Y530 bios has problems
I follow this link to disable turbo boost .https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98167-Disable-Turbo-Boost

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors