Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krste
Punch Card
Views: 4,559
Message 11 of 290

Re: Legion Y530 Fan Control

I have the same problem, the fans switch on for a 4-5 seconds on every 2-3 minutes.
I disabled turbo boost by setting the CPU maximum processor state to 90%. That helps with the noise, the fans switch on less frequently, but I notice significant drop in performance on my laptop, which is expected since the CPU max frequency now is 1.9Gh, where with turbo boost goes up to 4.1Gh. So this is not acceptable solution.

I also tried the option to use the laptop on battery without the charger, but the fans still switch on frequently on every 5-10 min.
I see that there is a new BIOS version 8JCN44WW (18 Sep 2018), has anyone tried updating the BIOS ?

FabioGaspar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,538
Message 12 of 290

I have the same issues reported. When fans are off and the CPU reaches around 50ºC, instead of start spinning at lowest speed, the fans spike for 2-3 seconds, then stabilize on a low speed mode until eventually shutdown. Reaching 50ºC is quite easy while browsing or openning applications, thus is quite annoying. I did other tests using stress test utilities. If the fan is already running at the lowest speed profile, and the CPU is stressed, there are no spikes, but a gradual fan speed rise, as expected (altough, I believe Lenovo needs to do some refinements because it has some delay to start pushing the fans, but nothing too serious).

I contacted Lenovo Support in Portugal, and they told me to send to unit to be reviewed. I am not going to do it because I need the PC to work. I am trying to understand if Lenovo is aware of this issue, which I believe it's a simple software issue in the fan tables fixable with EC Firmware updates, and hot hardware related (I hope).

B_M_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,516
Message 13 of 290

Thanks all for additional comments and ideas.

Good to see I'm not the only one with these complaints (obviously not good for you guys) Smiley Tongue

I'll try some of the mentioned options (lower max 100% or disable turbo), but have to agree with the comment that its not a good solution.

It might work, so that would be great, and thanks for posting it! But the solution shouldn't be to disable some of the "power", that's like; my car makes a lot of noise above 100 km/h. Solution: don't drive above 100 km/h then. The solution should be with Lenovo, it must be known by them so they should fix it. We all describe the problem as the same, even on idle the fans keep spiking or whatever its called. Nobody is complaining about the fans turning on while playing heavy games, but on idle or web browsing is just annoying.

Horuskov42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,495
Message 14 of 290

Hi guys !

I saw lot of topics dealing with fan noises on Lenovo Legion. I wonder how we can convey the problem to Lenovo ? I hope to find a solution but they even don't allow end-user to modify or fix the problem (for example, BIOS do not contain any stuff for fan control) ....

urbanjake
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,469
Message 15 of 290

I'm still having this fan speed problem with the newest BIOS update (8JCN44WW). Super frustrating.

I'm surprised Lenovo hasn't acknowledged this issue, or even hinted about it in the newest BIOS notes... I don't mind when this happens in games at high temps, it's expected. But web browsing at low temps? :/

iidxgold
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,445
Message 16 of 290

Hi, i just wanted to throw my 2 cents in this discussion.

I did a fresh install with no lenovo software or other misc software to get to the bottom of this. I basically took apart the bottom and the heat pipe. the reason why the thermals are so poor, is because of the thermal pad that is being used on the CPU and GPU block. The one thats on the Geforce is particularly bad, since its literally just a dry pad.

My typical use while non-gaming does around 50c like everyone else. During gaming, the CPU can hit 80, and the GPU hits 90c+.

completely replacing the stock thermal compound improved all my gaming thermals by a DRASTIC 25c or more, on both the CPU and GPU. MY Idle temps and general web browsing sits at 43c, and the fan does not turn on and off randomly. 

Highlighted
ZMFong
Token Ring
Views: 4,396
Message 17 of 290

I don't know why everyone is complaning the fan noise but here's my thoughts:

CFL-H runs hot especially i7 8750H. Therefore fan will ramp up in idle/light load since 8750h can exceed 60C even in such load. You have to undervolt the CPU and set a custom max boost clock for idle/light loads. Same goes to KBL-R ULV. Not many models can tame the hot chips from Intel.

Laptop enthusiast and recommender from LTT forum
I own a Legion Y530.
FabioGaspar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,388
Message 18 of 290

Well, I know that. I don't think anyone here is complaining about the fans running, but asking Lenovo to do some tweaks on fans behavior.

Below 50ºC, fans are completely off. CPU reaches the 50ºC, fans start running at almost full speed for about 2-3 seconds and then slown down to the lowest speed supported, then eventually shutdown. This is what people are complaining about. The fan should start at the lowest speed first, I mean, the CPU is at an acceptable temperature, is not reaching high temperatures all of sudden to make the funs run on such high speeds. If after making fans running at low speed the CPU keeps getting warmer, then gradually increase speed. This is the expected behavior.

The issue here is when you are working on a silent environment, focus on something, and have the fans kicking at full speed "randomly". It's not the end of the world, but it's distracting, and Lenovo can improve it.

FabioGaspar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,387
Message 19 of 290

Thanks for your feedback iidxgold. Yeah, brands usually don't apply thermal paste decently.

That definitely should improve the experience. However, that's not a solution for many, either because the user doesn't have experience performing such tasks, or because of voiding the warranty. But for anyone able to replace the thermal paste, your tip is great Smiley Happy

B_M_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,367
Message 20 of 290

Think Fabio is explaining it perfectly, better as me.

Not everybody is common with undervolting, overclocking and repasting. If I'm right, these are things gamers use to improve

and use all of the possible power in a laptop/pc, cooling all parts better. Because they are demanding a lot from the pc/laptop with their heavy games.

People like me who are not common with this and don't play heavy games should learn this before they can properly use the laptop?

That doesn't sound right to me, need to repaste/undervolt before you can browse without fans at max speed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors