Did you mean: 
Mahomie
Token Ring
Views: 1,438
Message 141 of 270

Re: Legion Y530 Fan Control

@Len0vation wrote:

Mahomie:

There wouldn't be any problems running the ThrottleStop and Afterburner concurrently?   Would I need to make different selections in ThrottleStop to run them both, as far choosing the graphics hardware?

You can run both at the same time. Throttlestop designed to work with CPU and inbuilt gpu(intel hd graphics) and afterburner only for external gpu(nvidia)

LENOVO Legion Y530. I7-8750h, Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti, 16GB ram 2666MHz. SSD(128GB), HDD 1TB(7200RPM)
ArgelTa1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,428
Message 142 of 270

Lenovo support told me that we can do re-pasting ourselves and it will not affect the warranty. Hope it's true. If I will solve fan issue with my new Y530, I will definitely do the re-pasting.

andmoniker
Paper Tape
Views: 1,402
Message 143 of 270

I seem to have just mitigated this issue by uninstalling Lenovo Vantage and setting Windows power plan scheme to Balanced in Control panel. The fans still do kick in occasionally, like when launching new application or moving large files, but they no longer randomly rev up every 2 minutes like they did before while just browsing internet or even at idle. Will wait and see whether this will prove to be permanent solution and keep this tab bookmarked until then. Considering replacing the stock thermal paste if the problem persists.

ArgelTa1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,394
Message 144 of 270

Man, you are so right. I now remember what went wrong with my Y530. 

1. I installed Win 10, BIOS ver 49 and some basic apps.

2. Used my laptop for a bit and put it away (I have Gaming PC at home).

3. I installed Lenovo Vantage and used it for couple of days on weekends and it started doing this.

It's possible that Lenovo Vantage is causing this. 

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Len0vation
SCSI Port
Views: 1,258
Message 145 of 270

Mahomie:

Thank you, I figured as much as I had read, the only reason that I had asked was because of the Nvidia GPU checkbox option under Miscellaneous inside the Options.   Other than that, yes it is all designed to control the Intel integrated GPU.

Len0vation
SCSI Port
Views: 1,254
Message 146 of 270

They told you that repasting would not affect the warranty?   That is unbelievable.

Highlighted
thefullY
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,251
Message 147 of 270

Are we still talking about the way the Y530 spins up the fans for 2 seconds and then calms down in another 3 seconds like every 5 minutes? I had a fresh windows install and this problem was present. THEN I installed Lenovo Vantage to test and see if that helps in any way. As far as I can tell the software does nothing to the fans. Also installed Lenovo Nerve Sense as per a post on this thread. Extreme Cooling is the equivalent to Ctrl+Shift+1 on Y530 and does nothing to help with the randoms fan spikes.

I have the i5-8300, 8GB, 1050 version of the laptop with updated BIOS. Undervolting does help, as in it makes the spikes less often and repasting might help as well, BUT the underlying problem, which is a wonky fan curve from Lenovo, will continue to be present in spite of my optimizations. The normal response to a slow steady increase from 44C to 50C is not to blast the fans, cooling the CPU back down to 41C and then turning the fans completly off or at least slow enough that I'm not sure they are on. This is exactly what I am seeing, 5 minutes of slow increase of CPU temperature, hit 50, we have a liftoff.

The first reaction to a slow increase in temperature should be a slow ramp up to fans. It's been some months since this laptop hit the market and as far as I can tell no real solution has been provided by Lenovo yet? Either a BIOS update or a way to set a custom fan curve would be ideal.

ArgelTa1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,179
Message 148 of 270

My issued was a bit different. CPU fan was 100% ON in temp ranges 38-50C. Sometimes it kicked in on 50C, cooled till 38C and continued to fly away for another 20 minutes, before switching OFF. Also, lifting it off the table helps a bit. Lenovo support sounds incompetent to me (the ones on facebook). But, yeah, they said re-pasting doesn't affect warranty.

ArgelTa1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,176
Message 149 of 270

Honestly, with my problem FAN working at 100% for 20-30 minutes while temperature is only 38C, I am just jealous you have this fan kicking in from time to time. That would literally not bother me at all. 

iMAC
Punch Card
Views: 880
Message 150 of 270

Any progress here?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors