Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArgelTa1
Punch Card
Views: 1,235
Message 251 of 310

Re: Legion Y530 Fan Control

Y530 features one of the most silent fans among gaming laptops during gaming. On all of them with same specs, fans would go 100% and there will be thermal throttling, because of bad set-up, even for high-en gaming like Hp Omen. Actually, HP gaming series has the worst cooling solution. 

So, when you are gaming on a laptop with similar specs as y530, fans at 100% would be moch louder and less effective then y530. Because of good cooling, the surface of y530 actually don't get very hot.

So, the only solution is to game with heaphones and be glad that your laptop is so noisy and cools so well.

If you want to game in silence and peace, like I do, get yourself a nice gaming rig with many silent fans that will work at min rpms (mine work at 600 rmp only and all components are cool). Fans of my 1070 work on their own, but they are pretty silent too.

With current videocards prices and ryzen available, you can built a very good gaming rig.

Mine is as follows:

Ryzen 2600 (will upgrade to 3000 series) 160 EUR new, can be safely overclocked at 4.0 ghz with a good cooler and the below mentioned MB

Asrock B450 Fatality Gaming K4 90 EUR new

EVGA 1070 8 GB 250 EUR second hand with 2 years warranty left

Cheep ass super silent Arctic Freezer 11-12 and some artic fans inside (5 EUR per piece)

and some other stuff like Gigabyte 750W 80 EUR and 2x8 GB RAM overclocked at 2800 mhz Crucial Balistix ESports 100 EUR

So the price of a very good gaming rig is same as loud and underpowered y530, bad option for gaming, compairing to a desktop PC (I have both, because I need my laptop to travel and work, can't have vacations without working).

qvanphong
Punch Card
Views: 1,092
Message 252 of 310

@chaugh wrote:

wow that is crazy... thermal throttling on Chrome...

I've spent over $20CAD on this problem already, buying the Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste, then the arctic MX-4 because I heard that was better for laptops.  Neither made any real, noticeable difference.  I am still 45c-55c on IDLE, just website browsing, etc.  I have a uneven heatsink so I can have 10c difference between cores.  Fans spin whenever CPU is over 50c. 

I can make my CPU thermal throttle WITHIN 10 seconds using the CPU burner on furmark (keep in mind this isnt even the most intensive CPU stresser out there).  I have repasted with MC4 and undervolted -125mv using throttleStop (the most my CPU can take).

My last step before I request heatpipe replacement from Lenovo is to use liquid metal.  Has anyone tried using thermal grizzly liquid metal on the Y530?

I even try Mx-4, NT-H1, Kryonaut, Conductonaut, LT Cooling (Liquid metal, which is more powerful than Conductonaut) but... all of them failed the test "Make this laptop more cooler"

B_M_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,066
Message 253 of 310

Not sure why you claim this to be true.

I repasted with Kryonaut (was my 1st time), and this got my temps down a lot.

Before my temps were the same, 45/55c on idle, so the fans kicked in many times. Thats why I started this topic.

Now my temps dont go over 37/40c while browsing, watching youtube or running a scan or update.

On idle it stays even below 35 c, when I start it up its 28/30 c.

So the fans kick in very rare now, when they do its mostly when I've been using the laptop for a while

watching or casting a video, have some other tabs or programs open and then I get a windows update or virus scan.

Highlighted
qvanphong
Punch Card
Views: 1,059
Message 254 of 310

@B_M_ wrote:

Not sure why you claim this to be true.

I repasted with Kryonaut (was my 1st time), and this got my temps down a lot.

Before my temps were the same, 45/55c on idle, so the fans kicked in many times. Thats why I started this topic.

Now my temps dont go over 37/40c while browsing, watching youtube or running a scan or update.

On idle it stays even below 35 c, when I start it up its 28/30 c.

So the fans kick in very rare now, when they do its mostly when I've been using the laptop for a while

watching or casting a video, have some other tabs or programs open and then I get a windows update or virus scan.

So it would be nice for you, i tried liquid but still stay over 45 - 55C on idle

iMAC
Punch Card
Views: 1,045
Message 255 of 310

Trying to get this laptop cool is not what this topic is about and you should discuss this elsewhere.

Just to note:

It is crazy to think that gaming class laptop with latest Coffee Lake will run cool and noiseless under load. You can repaste, you can undervolt or put it in freezer but this will not change the fact that gaming laptops runs hot because cooling solution is not sufficient to cool it under load...reasonably.

But this topic is about what cooling solution is perfectly cabable.  And being noiseless under light load is this laptop perfectly cabable from hardware point of view,  but  preset fan curve is fu..... disaster and we all are trying to fix this here!        Without help from Lenovo unfortunately. 

sagisapir
Punch Card
Views: 1,032
Message 256 of 310

"But this topic is about what cooling solution is perfectly cabable. And being noiseless under light load is this laptop perfectly cabable from hardware point of view, but preset fan curve is disaster and we all are trying to fix this here! Without help from Lenovo "unfortunately.

Yes Exactly...

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

ArgelTa1
Punch Card
Views: 1,014
Message 257 of 310

It is a fantasy for this laptop to be silent under load. Or any laptop with same specs. Y530 is one of the best and still very loud. You can't put this kind of power in such a small case and I believe Lenovo made their cooling pretty good. Fan curve is good on some models or maybe on some BIOS-es. I guess I just got lucky with the second Y530.

B_M_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 986
Message 258 of 310

@ Imac: Trying to get this laptop cool is not what this topic is about and you should discuss this elsewhere.

But this topic is about what cooling solution is perfectly capable.

Let me get this straight, you decide why I created this topic, and you decide on what I can answer?

Are you serious?

I created this topic cause the fans were annoying on idle, I never mentioned on load.

Dont blame me that others go off topic.

What the laptop is capable of, isnt that important as I cant change that anyway. I cant change the terrible fan curve. Lenovo can.

What I can do is keep the temps under that turning point where the fan curve starts.

Obviously this is not THE solution, Lenovo should change the fan curve or give us that option, but as long as they dont do that this 

topic is about finding ways around that. And if cooling helps, repasting, undervolting or a freezer, its better as nothing.

Yavor_Ivanov
Paper Tape
Views: 815
Message 259 of 310

I just received the laptop from Lenovo service Germany. They changed the RAM... as you think it was not better, still 96 Degrees on Chrome or some times on idle. I decided this time to repaste it myself with mx-4. Aaaaaaand it is working. Without turning the fans i get about 50 Degrees on Chrome and stable 43 on Idle. I did some under volting, about - 0.125V. I got even more stable temps when i change the power option cooling from active to passive.

At Lenovo Germany seems to be very bad at repasting. Some picture before and after repasting. received_1009941475868161.jpegSome kind of paste with metal particles

received_2292375697547675.jpegDifficult to clean

received_164176807851207.jpegMX-4 just enough to solve the problem

UPDATE : It works better than expected. This not idle. Programs installation, web browsing and other received_1531355737000493.png

obscurson
Paper Tape
Views: 658
Message 260 of 310

Hi, let me tell you my opinion. Laptop in desktop is like a heating fan wrong turn. That means no fresh air to cooling fans. If you lift laptop is much better. If you put laptot to cooling system, then you reach a better temperatures. In my way I play all the time Rainbow Six Siege in standard position laptop without cooling system, temperature of CPU was 92 celsius without turbo fan. With laptop cooling system the temperature CPU are max 82 celsius without turbo fan. Yust for record... I can`t hear any noisy wents and hearing only cooling system. Cooling system gives me a grood position of laptop monitor. br. Gregor

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors