Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iidxgold
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,044
Message 21 of 295

Re: Legion Y530 Fan Control

You're right. Repasting is not a common thing that a regular consumer can do, and it should not be the consumers problem. It should have been fixed at the factory. if I could I would repaste the computer for you for free i would, because I still think the Y530 is a fantastic computer, but it's probably not possible.

Under-volting is only a workaround fix to the PRIMARY underlying problem which is, the stock thermal pad is poor and not transferring heat properly to the fan. This is the main issue. 

If you can find a friend who is knowledgeable with repasting, if done properly, it does not void warranty. Does not require removal of the fans either, only the bottom lid, and the heatsinks only.

FabioGaspar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,005
Message 22 of 295

Hi iidxgold,

Well, I know how to repaste, I am just too busy right now for doing it Smiley Tongue 

Nevertheless, the fans behave weirdly and Lenovo should review their software because it annoys many people.

I have been using Linux for working recently, and I noticed that the fans never kicked in while working (nothing super hardcore, just browsing and basic software development). The same type of work on Windows, and fans will spike randomly. I would expect the opposite, because Windows, from my experience, has much better resource management. Anyway, I will try to force the fans to kick in Linux and see if they behave the same as in Windows.

At this point I am wondering if the issue is not on the BIOS/EC Firmware, but on Lenovo's software for Windows or eventually some provided driver. I don't have time right now for a Windows clean install and find out what is causing the fans to behave like this, but if anyone has some spare time and patience, give it a try! Vantage provides interface to activate fans in a super fast mode, so this one could be the responsible for overriding the fans table. But, take this with a grain of salt.

iidxgold
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,000
Message 23 of 295

After the initial test, the first thing I did was do a fresh install of Windows off Microsoft's stock Windows iso, then applied individual Lenovo/Intel drivers, then Nvidia. i did not install any Lenovo software. The fan behaved the same way. Then I repasted, the problem went away. I installed Vantage a few days after repasting.

ZMFong
Token Ring
Views: 2,971
Message 24 of 295

Stock paste in laptops nowadays is really bad

Laptop enthusiast and recommender from LTT forum
I own a Legion Y530.
Mikson
Paper Tape
Views: 2,881
Message 25 of 295

Hello, do u have any new resolution how to fix it? thanks

AlexaRazum
Paper Tape
Views: 2,830
Message 26 of 295

Hi. What type of paste do you use? I repaste my laptop and for some reason it started overheating... I am using zalman stg2, i used it before for macbooks, aser laptops and geforce 1070 and everything was great. Stock paste was solid and my is liquid.
iidxgold
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,824
Message 27 of 295

I used Arctic Silver 5, and I applied a very thin layer. 

ivan123
Paper Tape
Views: 2,748
Message 28 of 295

Processor Performance Boost Mode Tweaker
Version: 1.0

Haugefar
Paper Tape
Views: 2,509
Message 29 of 295

I have the same problem, very annoying. can someone send lenovo an email or something. We need a fan control software for this wonderfull laptop. I didnt find lenovos email. 

I have installed a new clean windows and undervolted 0.100mv, doesnt help.

Going to try some new paste on the heatsink. 

sagisapir
Punch Card
Views: 2,262
Message 30 of 295

Hi

No need to explain but having the same problem Smiley Sad 

Can i please ask if it is true that repasting the CPU GPU etc.. doesn't void warranty ??

Thank's

Best,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors