Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArgelTa1
Punch Card
Views: 1,343
Message 301 of 311

Re: Legion Y530 Fan Control

After I got my second Y530, I have been using it incidently and rarely for work and gaming. But, this week, since Monday, I have been using only my laptop (being out of home and no access to my desktop PC). Working in very hot environment, sometimes with direct sunlight into my laptop, there have been no spikes in fans revs. The temperature outside is 35C and inside is quite hot as well (I avoid using A/C mostly). The CPU temp while using Outlook, Skype, Telegram, many tabs in Chrome, as well as some other Microsoft Office applications, is only 40-50C. The fans revs increase gradually, work a bit and then go down or OFF in High performance mode (with turbo boost enabled and Active cooling). On battery with turbo boost disabled (CPU set to 99% and cooling mode to Passive), the fans are not heard at all, almost like real passive cooling. I have not yet performed a thermo paste replacement, but I am not using it often, it stays like new.

Instead, I took advantage of hardware sales by miners, when BTC was 4k $ recently, got Gigabyte 1080Ti for 400 EUR with 2 years warranty, new Ryzen and 2k monitor. So, this laptop mostly enjoys its time on my shelf, gathering dust.

I wish I could find exactly what makes this laptop work. But, I have already shared with you everything I know.

1. I have not touched my BIOS (it is 43 out of the box) and

2. I have not installed Lenovo Vantage (I think one of Lenovo support agents told me that it may cause the issue). I have already shared this in this thread.

3. I installed Lenovo Nerve Center (an app for Y520) and it works like a charm. 

Everything else on my laptop is same as on my desktop PC, maybe some chipset drivers for this laptop and GeForce Experience with latest drivers. Fast startup is OFF and cooling is set to Active as mentioned above (in High Performance mode that I use when I am connected to power supply). 

donotmention
SCSI Port
Views: 1,278
Message 302 of 311

cant believe they will put pad on cpu gpu instead of thermal paste

Tomilee
What's DOS?
Views: 1,085
Message 303 of 311

Hey ArgelTa1,
Huge thanks for your detailed comment, could you please share how can we use these mentioned functions like "turbo boost" "active and passive cooling mode"? Are these implemented in Lenovo Nerve Center, or Windows? o.O
Thanks for your help in advance!
chaugh
Paper Tape
Views: 1,014
Message 304 of 311

I finally had the time and effort to liquid metal my Y530. 

I previously posted in this thread (a few months ago) that I had already undervolted my CPU 150mv and repasted the cpu and gpu.  I tried both arctic MX-4 and Noctua NT-H1 and both did not make any meaningful difference to temperatures or fan cycle.

Liquid metal was slightly scary (my first time) but it actually solved it!  idle temps are 44-47c but it no longer randomly jump to 55 or 60c when browsing internet.  I also did a test on load temps.  I ran furmark cpu burner for 5 minutes, before liquid metal temps were 93/76/93/71.  After LM repaste, same test gives me 78/63/66/59.  pretty amazing if you ask me.  Uneven core temps still exists though Smiley Sad

ArgelTa1
Punch Card
Views: 951
Message 305 of 311

As far as I know, on most y530 laptops thermal paste is used by Lenovo. Pads are placed on some non-vital chips.

ArgelTa1
Punch Card
Views: 947
Message 306 of 311

This is implemented in Windows. You need to open your Power options in the Control Panel, click on Change plan settings (need to do this for every power plan that you use) and then click on Change advanced power settings. In the new window that will open, you will find Active and Passive cooling options under CPU, as well as load percentage. To disable CPU turbo boost, you need to put 99% instead of 100% of max load.

donotmention
SCSI Port
Views: 945
Message 307 of 311

They should give manual fan control like Acer n msi
ArgelTa1
Punch Card
Views: 942
Message 308 of 311

The risk you took with liquid metail is not equal to the benefit. This time LM repasting went well, but what will happen, when you will be removing the heat sing for the 2nd time, when repasting will be required again. 

I have repaired many devices and even repasted few smartphones, I would say that you never know where that paste will go, no matter how careful you are.

ArgelTa1
Punch Card
Views: 936
Message 309 of 311

Agreed. Manual fan control would have been the best.

donotmention
SCSI Port
Views: 931
Message 310 of 311

U can join this discord group for laptops tech discussion
https://discordapp.com/invite/Dave2D

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors