Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 6,077
Message 1 of 4

Legion Y530: Max RAM and RAM upgrade

There is some confusion about what is the max amount of RAM in the Legion Y530 that is supported. Here are the facts:

• The Legion Y530 contains 2 memory slots for RAM
  • Total memory amount supported is 32GB of RAM
  • Each slot can take a 2666MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM with maximum capacity 16GB (and thus 2x16 = 32GB max memory)

I upgraded a Lenovo Legion Y530 with 32GB of RAM. I documented the procedure for those that want to try it here: Legion Y530 RAM upgrade 

P8240694.jpgRAM slots in the Y530

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
CovaraC
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,095
Message 2 of 4

Re: Legion Y530: Max RAM and RAM upgrade

Lenard,

You are the best! Thanks for sharing.

I want to buy this Y530 5ICH laptop.

I want to add RAM later to make it 32GB. While I am customizing this laptop on Lenovo website, if I choose 16GB 1 DIMM RAM, can I add any 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM later, or it has  to be the same chipset brand?

When you took your original RAM out, what was the chipset brand ? Hynix or ...?

Did you order 1 16GB or 2 8Gb or 1 8GB? I want to minimize my cost since I want to order without SSD and add a NVMe SSD later. I guess they are selling this laptop with none NMVe (PCIe only) SSD. right ?

All the best from Canada to Finland

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 5,050
Message 3 of 4

The original memory was Samsung branded for me. But it doesn't tell you much, since Lenovo uses 4-6 different memory manufacturers, and you will only know what you get when you buy the machine. My ThinkPad P52 came with Micron memory modules, for example. 

It doesn't have to be the same to be usable, so you should be fine in getting any DDR4 2666Mhz RAM module. There might be a teeny tiny difference in speeds based on the differences of the various modules, but I sincerely doubt you would be able to notice any real world difference. So you can just buy any module when the time comes.

(Do note, that you can find out your module in parts lookup if you enter your serial number when you have bought the machine. This way you do not need to open it up just to check.)

I ordered with 8GB. Although I knew I might end up with a 8GB stick I do not need, free customization is not available in Finland. So I had to choose from a number of preconfigured systems, and given other requirements for the CPU and GPU for example, this is what I had to go with. The RAM and HDD/SSD are replaceable, the CPU/GPU are not. 

As for the SSD type, I am a little loss at the differences between PCIe and NVMe Smiley Happy The spec sheet says the Y530 supports: "M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s (e.g. xxxGB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe)". So I would get NVMe Smiley Happy

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
Alejandro931
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,564
Message 4 of 4

It has to be an NMVe I upgrate my Y530 with a XPG gammix s11 and it works grate

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors