Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

111 Posts

01-01-2018

Lithuania

571 Signins

4944 Page Views

• Views: 4944
  • Message 61 of 80

Re: Legion Y530 battery problems

2019-04-14, 18:12 PM

wrote:

Most importantly, if you opened a case, please let us know which region’s PremiumCare was informed and how it turned out. Let’s support one another.

I informed http://www.servisaict.lt/ . I don't remember when (maybe 4 months ago or something). They changed motherboard but problem were still there so I decided to buy 170w adapter myself. No problem till now. 

LENOVO Legion Y530. I7-8750h, Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti, 16GB ram 2666MHz. SSD(128GB), HDD 1TB(7200RPM)
Options

10 Posts

04-12-2019

Malaysia

31 Signins

161 Page Views

• Views: 161
  • Message 62 of 80

2019-04-15, 1:15 AM

hi, since i saw this topic about battery and power brick issue, i'd like to share my issue wh legion y530.

specs: i58300h

graphics: intel uhd 630 / gtx1050

storage: intel optane 16g / 1tb hdd

ram : ddr4 8g 2666

power brick: stock 135w

the issue is, whenever i plug in the power brick, my screen starts to flicker,flashing what ever u call it.

it only happens when im charging while gaming, watching movies, furmark or any video graphics demanding programs and even watching youtube ..when i used external monitor, the external perform well, but the laptop screen still flickering.

but as sooon as or when i turn off the charger,everything becomes stable again and perform nicely.

so, is there something wrong with my power brick? i went to few pc techinal shops and they said something wrong with the board. 

and i told them how come the board or gpu is the issue? cause when i use external monitor and turn off the charger, everything is fine?

none of them could give me an answer...and yeah, i didnt got to lenovo sc because sc here is really suck..

Options

180 Posts

08-22-2014

Malaysia

241 Signins

2113 Page Views

• Views: 2113
  • Message 63 of 80

2019-04-15, 1:43 AM

wrote:

hi, since i saw this topic about battery and power brick issue, i'd like to share my issue wh legion y530.

specs: i58300h

graphics: intel uhd 630 / gtx1050

storage: intel optane 16g / 1tb hdd

ram : ddr4 8g 2666

power brick: stock 135w

the issue is, whenever i plug in the power brick, my screen starts to flicker,flashing what ever u call it.

it only happens when im charging while gaming, watching movies, furmark or any video graphics demanding programs and even watching youtube ..when i used external monitor, the external perform well, but the laptop screen still flickering.

but as sooon as or when i turn off the charger,everything becomes stable again and perform nicely.

so, is there something wrong with my power brick? i went to few pc techinal shops and they said something wrong with the board. 

and i told them how come the board or gpu is the issue? cause when i use external monitor and turn off the charger, everything is fine?

none of them could give me an answer...and yeah, i didnt got to lenovo sc because sc here is really suck..

How bad of the cs?

Find out which warranty you are.
The Y530 series defaults to 2 years Onside warranty. You can ask by one phone and they will send a technician directly to your house/address.

Ps: If you are in the south, Johor Bahru has a good service center.

Your description is a problem with the motherboard or a problem with the screen.
The GPU may also have poor capacitance soldering.

Android Roadmap
https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht101396
https://support.lenovo.com/

Options

5 Posts

03-27-2019

Singapore

15 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 64 of 80

2019-04-15, 7:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your situation Dan, it's true, they only have PremiumCare Support in Canada, US and mostly Southeast Asia. There's another option to "Chat with a Support Agent" in My Products-->Contact Us but I'm not sure if that's open for everyone. Even so, my personal experience with their support has been nothing but a waste of time.

It's quite a surprise they made these forums for us but not a single Lenovo staff responds to this case, and they even told me the problems you guys have might not be true after I told them to look here. Unprofessional and irresponsible.

Options

5 Posts

03-27-2019

Singapore

15 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 65 of 80

2019-04-15, 7:26 AM

Hi 303, great that you were able to test the 170W from their technician! My customer suppport is adamant that I do not test the 170W. They warn me that future damages to my laptop will not be covered under warranty if they do so. Essentially, they would choose to lose a customer than find out if a potential solution works (which is what the technical department is being paid to do).

I appreciate that they would replace the battery/mobo (and now they want to replace AGAIN). But common sense suggests there's an elephant in the room. They better hope this problem stays private.

For whatever reason Lenovo has for blocking the official use of an adapter stronger than 135W, they need to understand that the reason customers like me choose to settle this privately with them is because elegant solutions can be found without affecting Lenovo's business and mine.

Options

2019-04-15, 8:30 AM

wrote:

Hi 303, great that you were able to test the 170W from their technician! My customer suppport is adamant that I do not test the 170W. They warn me that future damages to my laptop will not be covered under warranty if they do so. Essentially, they would choose to lose a customer than find out if a potential solution works (which is what the technical department is being paid to do).

I appreciate that they would replace the battery/mobo (and now they want to replace AGAIN). But common sense suggests there's an elephant in the room. They better hope this problem stays private.

For whatever reason Lenovo has for blocking the official use of an adapter stronger than 135W, they need to understand that the reason customers like me choose to settle this privately with them is because elegant solutions can be found without affecting Lenovo's business and mine.

Power brick is the problem for sure ! It is proved that the 135W power brick is not enough for this laptop. They updated the BIOS indeed, but that didn't change anything. This laptop still have the same behaviour. I even undervolted by -0.125 mV core/cache and reduced the power limit 1(PL1) of the processor from 45W to 30W and I still have the problem with the battery draining while gaming/heavy tasks. Some people say this is normal for a Li-Polymer battery, just to protect it from damage/overcharge. I dont really know what to think...I'm already tired and sick of this since lenovo is not giving a **bleep** about it. Some people here got the 170W power brick, some people didn't get it, I dont get it, what's the deal lenovo ?

Options

10 Posts

04-12-2019

Malaysia

31 Signins

161 Page Views

• Views: 161
  • Message 67 of 80

2019-04-15, 13:17 PM
i went to sc this morning, and found out that my laptop has no warranty already, so theres nothing they can do or determine the cause. so now i have to return it back to the store i bought it from. and just now, the flickering thing happened even when im on battery....
Options

5 Posts

03-27-2019

Singapore

15 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 68 of 80

2019-04-15, 15:46 PM

wrote:

I informed http://www.servisaict.lt/ . I don't remember when (maybe 4 months ago or something). They changed motherboard but problem were still there so I decided to buy 170w adapter myself. No problem till now. 

Thanks for the info Mahomie. Glad to know that the 170W works like everyone else says. If I'm not wrong, Servisa is the support partner for Lenovo in your country, so I guess your case counts as one that Lenovo didn't take note of too

Options

5 Posts

03-27-2019

Singapore

15 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 69 of 80

2019-04-15, 16:08 PM

wrote:

Power brick is the problem for sure ! It is proved that the 135W power brick is not enough for this laptop. They updated the BIOS indeed, but that didn't change anything. This laptop still have the same behaviour. I even undervolted by -0.125 mV core/cache and reduced the power limit 1(PL1) of the processor from 45W to 30W and I still have the problem with the battery draining while gaming/heavy tasks. Some people say this is normal for a Li-Polymer battery, just to protect it from damage/overcharge. I dont really know what to think...I'm already tired and sick of this since lenovo is not giving a **bleep** about it. Some people here got the 170W power brick, some people didn't get it, I dont get it, what's the deal lenovo ?

Exactly, the BIOS didn't do anything about the discharge. However, it revealed that Lenovo actually knows about this issue. For anyone who wants the BIOS changelogs from 43WW to 50WW, just use the link below and change the number "XXww" to the corresponding BIOS log you wish to see.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/8jcn43ww.txt

Key details in 43WW: "Battery RSOC decreases obviously after running Biohazard5 game for 1hr"

44WW: "Add 170W DPTF setting" and "Add 170W AC setting"

46WW: "Adjust PL1 value as 30W" (what Dan did by himself)

We purchased the system for the hardware as it is. There should be no need for us to manually undervolt or throttle its performance if there's a simple adapter miscalculation-- this would be like buying different hardware specs in the first place. And really, why bother adding a 170W AC setting in the BIOS if you want to void our warranty Lenovo?

Options

2019-04-15, 16:15 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Exactly, the BIOS didn't do anything about the discharge. However, it revealed that Lenovo actually knows about this issue. For anyone who wants the BIOS changelogs from 43WW to 50WW, just use the link below and change the number "XXww" to the corresponding BIOS log you wish to see.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/8jcn43ww.txt

Key details in 43WW: "Battery RSOC decreases obviously after running Biohazard5 game for 1hr"

44WW: "Add 170W DPTF setting" and "Add 170W AC setting"

46WW: "Adjust PL1 value as 30W" (what Dan did by himself)

We purchased the system for the hardware as it is. There should be no need for us to manually undervolt or throttle its performance if there's a simple adapter miscalculation-- this would be like buying different hardware specs in the first place. And really, why bother adding a 170W AC setting in the BIOS if you want to void our warranty Lenovo?

Speaking of power limit 1, they changed it back to 45W in the upcoming versions of BIOS, which is annoying...I can't understand why they did it, but nevermind, I already gave up. I got used to this laptop the way it is. I'm just checking for new driver/firmware updates from time to time just to see if they are fixing something, but it seems like they are missing the "important things".

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms