Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamIceBear
Punch Card
Views: 194
Message 61 of 72

Re: Legion Y530 battery problems

Sorry to hear about your situation Dan, it's true, they only have PremiumCare Support in Canada, US and mostly Southeast Asia. There's another option to "Chat with a Support Agent" in My Products-->Contact Us but I'm not sure if that's open for everyone. Even so, my personal experience with their support has been nothing but a waste of time.

It's quite a surprise they made these forums for us but not a single Lenovo staff responds to this case, and they even told me the problems you guys have might not be true after I told them to look here. Unprofessional and irresponsible.

iamIceBear
Punch Card
Views: 192
Message 62 of 72

Hi 303, great that you were able to test the 170W from their technician! My customer suppport is adamant that I do not test the 170W. They warn me that future damages to my laptop will not be covered under warranty if they do so. Essentially, they would choose to lose a customer than find out if a potential solution works (which is what the technical department is being paid to do).

I appreciate that they would replace the battery/mobo (and now they want to replace AGAIN). But common sense suggests there's an elephant in the room. They better hope this problem stays private.

For whatever reason Lenovo has for blocking the official use of an adapter stronger than 135W, they need to understand that the reason customers like me choose to settle this privately with them is because elegant solutions can be found without affecting Lenovo's business and mine.

Dan_Petrescu
Token Ring
Views: 175
Message 63 of 72

@iamIceBear wrote:

Hi 303, great that you were able to test the 170W from their technician! My customer suppport is adamant that I do not test the 170W. They warn me that future damages to my laptop will not be covered under warranty if they do so. Essentially, they would choose to lose a customer than find out if a potential solution works (which is what the technical department is being paid to do).

I appreciate that they would replace the battery/mobo (and now they want to replace AGAIN). But common sense suggests there's an elephant in the room. They better hope this problem stays private.

For whatever reason Lenovo has for blocking the official use of an adapter stronger than 135W, they need to understand that the reason customers like me choose to settle this privately with them is because elegant solutions can be found without affecting Lenovo's business and mine.

Power brick is the problem for sure ! It is proved that the 135W power brick is not enough for this laptop. They updated the BIOS indeed, but that didn't change anything. This laptop still have the same behaviour. I even undervolted by -0.125 mV core/cache and reduced the power limit 1(PL1) of the processor from 45W to 30W and I still have the problem with the battery draining while gaming/heavy tasks. Some people say this is normal for a Li-Polymer battery, just to protect it from damage/overcharge. I dont really know what to think...I'm already tired and sick of this since lenovo is not giving a **bleep** about it. Some people here got the 170W power brick, some people didn't get it, I dont get it, what's the deal lenovo ?

kuntadjanggo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 159
Message 64 of 72

i went to sc this morning, and found out that my laptop has no warranty already, so theres nothing they can do or determine the cause. so now i have to return it back to the store i bought it from. and just now, the flickering thing happened even when im on battery....
iamIceBear
Punch Card
Views: 139
Message 65 of 72

@Mahomie wrote:

@iamIceBear

I informed http://www.servisaict.lt/ . I don't remember when (maybe 4 months ago or something). They changed motherboard but problem were still there so I decided to buy 170w adapter myself. No problem till now. 

Thanks for the info Mahomie. Glad to know that the 170W works like everyone else says. If I'm not wrong, Servisa is the support partner for Lenovo in your country, so I guess your case counts as one that Lenovo didn't take note of too

iamIceBear
Punch Card
Views: 135
Message 66 of 72

@Dan_Petrescu wrote:

@iamIceBear

Power brick is the problem for sure ! It is proved that the 135W power brick is not enough for this laptop. They updated the BIOS indeed, but that didn't change anything. This laptop still have the same behaviour. I even undervolted by -0.125 mV core/cache and reduced the power limit 1(PL1) of the processor from 45W to 30W and I still have the problem with the battery draining while gaming/heavy tasks. Some people say this is normal for a Li-Polymer battery, just to protect it from damage/overcharge. I dont really know what to think...I'm already tired and sick of this since lenovo is not giving a **bleep** about it. Some people here got the 170W power brick, some people didn't get it, I dont get it, what's the deal lenovo ?

Exactly, the BIOS didn't do anything about the discharge. However, it revealed that Lenovo actually knows about this issue. For anyone who wants the BIOS changelogs from 43WW to 50WW, just use the link below and change the number "XXww" to the corresponding BIOS log you wish to see.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/8jcn43ww.txt

Key details in 43WW: "Battery RSOC decreases obviously after running Biohazard5 game for 1hr"

44WW: "Add 170W DPTF setting" and "Add 170W AC setting"

46WW: "Adjust PL1 value as 30W" (what Dan did by himself)

We purchased the system for the hardware as it is. There should be no need for us to manually undervolt or throttle its performance if there's a simple adapter miscalculation-- this would be like buying different hardware specs in the first place. And really, why bother adding a 170W AC setting in the BIOS if you want to void our warranty Lenovo?

Dan_Petrescu
Token Ring
Views: 132
Message 67 of 72

@iamIceBear wrote:

@Dan_Petrescu wrote:

@iamIceBear

Exactly, the BIOS didn't do anything about the discharge. However, it revealed that Lenovo actually knows about this issue. For anyone who wants the BIOS changelogs from 43WW to 50WW, just use the link below and change the number "XXww" to the corresponding BIOS log you wish to see.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/8jcn43ww.txt

Key details in 43WW: "Battery RSOC decreases obviously after running Biohazard5 game for 1hr"

44WW: "Add 170W DPTF setting" and "Add 170W AC setting"

46WW: "Adjust PL1 value as 30W" (what Dan did by himself)

We purchased the system for the hardware as it is. There should be no need for us to manually undervolt or throttle its performance if there's a simple adapter miscalculation-- this would be like buying different hardware specs in the first place. And really, why bother adding a 170W AC setting in the BIOS if you want to void our warranty Lenovo?

Speaking of power limit 1, they changed it back to 45W in the upcoming versions of BIOS, which is annoying...I can't understand why they did it, but nevermind, I already gave up. I got used to this laptop the way it is. I'm just checking for new driver/firmware updates from time to time just to see if they are fixing something, but it seems like they are missing the "important things".

Highlighted
sashko02
Punch Card
Views: 117
Message 68 of 72

The thing is that in their official documentation it's written that 1050Ti models are coming with 135W bricks and they use this for plausible deniability - "it's written so it should be like that!".

The 1060 models (coming with 170W) should be the same overall hardware with different GPU - I don't believe they designed 3 separate motherboards for the 1050/1050Ti/1060 models.

The reason why the 170W bricks (coming by default with 1060) are working is that they supply the same Voltage just the Amperage is higher so if the hardware can take it and needs it it can use the extra juce. It's the same thing with computer PSUs. You can have 400, 500, 700, 1000W PSU on the same computer, the question is which is the best fit for the given hardware - not too weak so the PC does't freez or restart and not too powerful so it's not a waste of money.

I had discussion with couple of reps from Czech Republic/Slovakia from Lenovo's support and they all said the same thing - "it's like that in the spec sheet, we cannot do anything". I even asked one of the guys to take this to the upper management but I don't think this will have any effect.

Etringita
Paper Tape
Views: 40
Message 69 of 72

Hi all,

well, i ordered my Y530 (i5 8300H 1050 4Gb) last week and I received and all that stuff. I was concerned about battery issues before i had it received, so I espected that issue on my product like you.

However, I have just signed up in Lenovo Forum to tell u all: I have no battery problems, my brick is 135w like yours (I think it's like yours) and playing Quake Champions, NFS Payback, Path of Exile.. charging, the brick is enough. Not just enough, i can't see much difference between charging while working (excel, firefox etc) and while playing.. difference of 10 min or so (2h 10 min while playing, 2h on light use).

So, could you tell Lenovo Supporters that the issue could be on your own product? Maybe the laptop, maybe the brick.

Could you ask for a service where test the brick and if is not ok, then give u another brand new brick, or if the issue is on any part of your laptop, then find it and give ur laptop fixed up or if it's necessary, another bran new laptop (isn't that the existing reason of a warranty?).

Hope this info is usefull for you.

Edit: Bios 50WW

sashko02
Punch Card
Views: 29
Message 70 of 72

Please take into account that there is considerable difference between i5-8300 and i7-8750 (2 extra physical cores). On top of that 1050 is also less power hungry than 1050Ti (this one has power consumption closer to 1060 than 1050).

So thank you for the advice but it's not relevant in his case.

Cheers!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors