05-24-2015

ID

22 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 1 of 8

Legion Y530 stable undervolt for hot climate

2019-10-13, 4:31 AM

HI Guys, I just want to share my success with undervolting Lenovo Legion Y530-15ICH, the configuration is for prolonged game session, hot climate, non-AC environment (31-32 C), and laptop is placed upon plywood table without any external cooling. As I used this laptop occasionally to game, but mostly to code, render and create video content. So, highest performance is not the main goal, but maintaining the temperature in prolonged high load is.

My Specs are:

• Intel i7-8750H, stock thermal paste
  • Memory 16 GB Dual Channel 1333Mhz (19-19-19-43)
  • SSD Samsung Evo 970 Plus -256GB  NvMe + Stock HDD 1 GB (5400 Rpm)
  • WIn 10 Pro x64-  Build 18362
  • BIOS Version 8JCN52WW
  • Throttle Stop 8.70, Msi AfterBurner 4.6.1
  • Nvidia Gtx 1050-Nvidia Driver 431.70

Before the underclock, it throttles a lot, specially because of the heat (>94 C)

I find my Stable config as follow:

1. FiVR
    1. CPU core = -0.1602
    2. CPU Cache=  -0.1602
    3. Intel GPU = -0.0355 (could go lower but i focused for nvidia)
  2. Turbo Ratio Limit = 1 core x41,gradation to 6 core x33 (not max because still reach high temp in testing)
  3. TPL
    1. Turbo boost long = 42
    2. turbo boost short = 46
    3. Turbo time limit = 20
    4. PP0 Current limit = 130
  4. After burner voltage graph

TESTING (should be remembered that CPU shares the same heatsink system with GPU):

1. Browsing / Typing / watching movies h264 720p ==> from ~65 C becomes  ~53 C
  2. Stable on all Throttle Stop bench ==> from ~94 C (prochot throttle) becomes ~75 C (12 Thread normal prio-1024 M in 125 seconds), there is a PL1 throttle sometimes (because I set TPL in above settings)
  3. This is unigine heaven score
    the heat ~80 C
  4. AIDA64 bechmarks in ~70 C
  5. Resident evil 2 Remake, 1920x1080 high settings, ~28 fps ==> ~78 C ( 3 hour straight test)
  6. World of tanks, 1920x1080 high setting, ==> ~77 C ( 2 hour straight test)

As conclusion, I think I manage to achieve a stable undervolt without any errors while maintain a high enough multiplier (x33) on all cores in prolonged high load. No doubt that many can achieve better performance, but I balance it for longer lasting usage (reduce wear level). Thanks for reading. 

Options

17 Posts

10-17-2019

CA

18 Signins

231 Page Views

• Views: 231
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Legion Y530 stable undervolt for hot climate

2019-10-21, 6:15 AM

Now when you say hot region, your speaking of brazil because thats my secondary residence compaired to canada, i will need to look at this when mine comes back from the shop. as I worry about this with my legion y545

Options

18 Posts

05-24-2015

ID

22 Signins

192 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

Re: Legion Y530 stable undervolt for hot climate

2019-10-21, 7:51 AM

UPDATE:

I do a thermal repaste using Arctic-MX4 and achieve generally same heat result, only this time I changed:

TPL

1. Turbo boost long = 50 (TDP is 45 watts)
  2. turbo boost short = 60
  3. Turbo time limit = 16

normal usage temp is about 3-5 Celcius lower.

I can say that the repaste is functioning, but one strange behaviour show In prime95 test:

Core 0, 2, and 4 is can reach 10 degrees higher than core 1,3,and 5. (before is only 2-3 degrees difference)

I've checked and repaste a second time (validating that the first repaste is good, no excessive paste or too little- just the right amount). no heatsink problem/ mounting was found. 

one theory i came up with is the cores nearer the chipsets (the chipset is also attached to the heatsink), is harder to dissipate heat (but for a difference of < 1cm space between cores, can it be?) 

Options

18 Posts

05-24-2015

ID

22 Signins

192 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

Re:Legion Y530 stable undervolt for hot climate

2020-04-11, 13:44 PM

Update :
today I try a bit extreme mod : for the core  temp differences, nobody can tell me a solution, I still guess that it's because the position of cores in the processor architecture, But I can't find the detailed diagram than shows the core number position.

Anyway I think maybe the pressure between processor and IHS is not high enough (even though the screw is  already at max. So I played with the idea of putting an aluminium foil between the processor core and IHS (dismissed that idea though, find a better one)

WARNING : do this steps with caution, if you don't feel up to it, don't do it!

1. So I hand make a small copper plate (from AC copper pipe), about 20 mmx10 mm (a litter bigger than the processor die size), make it sure it's very flat, then paper sand it multiple times (with multiple abrasive level) until it shines like a mirror, and very smooth in hand.
  2. the final product is very thin, no more than 0.3 mm.
  3. Then I delid the IHS,  clean the thermal paste (MX-4) both on IHS and processor die. and GPU
  4. On the IHS : cut the black isolator in IHS contact area (too make it bigger, about 2 mm on each side)
  5. re-apply thermal paste (the same MX-4) on the processor die (very minimal), and on GPU
  6. put the copper plate above the processor die
  7. carefully place back the IHS so that the contact area of copper plate meets throughly with IHS
  8. Carefully screw back the IHS to the motherboard (make sure to keep light pressure on IHS while mounting)
  9. close the back lid, and  cross your finger before starting the laptop

Results:

1. Parameters is still the same with my previous post in this thread (throttle stop config, ambiance temp, etc)
  2. A 3-5 degrees lower in processor temps. When I type this , the temps is around 46-50, with average background processor use  ~10%
  3. testing with P95 is stable, a 100% load of turbo boost with multiplier x26  on all cores is stable to maintain, the temps did not go above 90C (around 85-88)
  4. core temperature discrepancy is lowered (average of 8C) between the coolest core (no #1) and hottest core (no #2) , core  no #0, no #4 is about 4C lower than no#2, and core no #3 and no #5 is about 4C hotter than no #1
  5. I summarized that the temp is better because the pressure between processor die and IHS is strongger (because of the 0.3mm added copper plate), and bigger contact area (black isolator)

that's it for now, if any of you can share opinion or other mod, I appreciate it.

Options

2 Posts

09-12-2020

PH

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 5 of 8

2020-09-12, 16:11 PM

Hey! I just created my account after reading your community post as of now and I wanted to let you know that I managed to decrease my overall temperatures from my 8-month-old Y530 which I bought last December of 2019 (I5-8300h, GTX 1050 TI, 24GB Ram, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD) by roughly 40 degrees celsius. I wish I could've done it before when I purchased my unit but I'm still glad that I made this tweak last month. My max temperature under heavy load never exceeds 60 degrees celsius and I'm living in the Philippines. I use my laptop primarily for Architecture software such as AutoCAD, Sketchup, Lumion, as well as Adobe stuffs for editing/post-production. Some games I installed on my laptop are DOTA 2, LoL, Dauntless, Valorant, and Spellbreak. By the way, thanks for sharing your ideas. I'll try to apply some of it later. If you're interested to learn about what I did to configure my unit, well basically we've done some similar methods using ThrottleStop but our values are different then I locked my clock speed for CPU and GPU using MSI Afterburner at exactly 1299 MHz. I disregarded the curve since I locked them on their respective base clock speeds based on the Community Benchmarks.

Options

18 Posts

05-24-2015

ID

22 Signins

192 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2020-09-15, 3:40 AM

Nice to hear you managed to control the temperature. I would like to know the values you used in throttle stop (although each CPU die is not the same, and our mileage may vary).
I you want a more extreme mod, check this out : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Legion-Y530-peltier-cooling-mod/m-p/5018613

Options

2 Posts

09-12-2020

PH

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-09-16, 17:59 PM

Sure! Please correct me if I did something wrong okay? I'll just edit my comment if I forgot to include something. Haha!

ThrottleStop Settings:
(MAIN MENU) Set Multiplier - 22

(MAIN MENU) Speed Shift EPP - 0

(FIVR) Turbo Ratio Limits - Change all the values of your 4 cores 30

(FIVR) CPU Core, CPU Cache, Intel GPU, iGPU Unslice - Undervolt/Offset Voltage at -150.4

(FIVR) Save Voltage Changes To ThrottleStop.INI - Change your option to OK Save Voltages Immediately

(TPL) Turbo Boost Long Power Max - Turn Clamp ON then set the value to 24

(TPL) Turbo Boost Short Power Max - Turn Clamp OFF then set the value to 24

(TPL) Turbo Time Limit - 28

(TPL) Miscellaneous Max - 30

(TPL) Intel CPU - 9

(TPL) Intel GPU - 13

If you want to do some heavy tasks, turn Disable Turbo OFF. If you're only doing light tasks such as browsing, turn it ON. Hit SAVE.

Go to Start Menu then search for Background Apps then turn it OFF. Don't forget to turn off your Bluetooth as well as Mobile Hotspot.

Press Windows Key + R then type services.msc and scroll down until you find Windows Search. Right click to view its properties, click STOP then change Status Type to Disabled.

In MSI Afterburner, go to settings. Go to Monitoring tab and tweak your On-Screen Display options. If you want to know everything that is happening in your laptop, make all the Graph Properties to in OSD. However, if you only want to show the important parts just like I do, only show GPU1 Temperature, GPU 1 Usage, CPU Temperature, CPU Usage, RAM Usage, and all the settings below it (make sure to mark these in OSD). Afterwards, close it then hover your cursor towards GPU1 Temperature °C then press Ctrl + F to bring up the voltage curve. Click the very first cube on the graph then bring it up towards the Base Clock Speed Value of 1289 MHz (GTX 1050 TI Base Clock Speed) or 1354 MHz (GTX 1050 Base Clock Speed) then hit Ctrl + L. After that procedure, just make sure that the following cubes/points are in an ascending manner. Don't touch the ones that are already ascended, just the graph cubes/points that are lower than your set clock speed. After doing this method, close the graph then scroll down again towards CPU1 Temperature °C then press Ctrl + F again to bring up the voltage curve while repeating the same process of setting your Base Clock Speed Value before locking it using CTRL + L (same values as your new GPU1 Temperature °C value). Close the graph then hit the Check Icon on the MSI Afterburner.  If you're curious about my settings in RivaTuner, I set my On-Screen Display Zoom to the lowest option while experimenting on my On-Screen Display options to fit my style such as Vector 3D or Raster 3D and so on.

Since Lenovo Vantage doesn't allow us to access the Battery Options such as Hybrid Mode and Conservation mode to limit our battery charging capacity, download a safe Battery Limiter Software here, https://www.robotonfire.com/bl/. After downloading it, set your Charge limit at 80% and your Low Chage Limit at 40%. You can tweak your battery limiter's alarm and colors to your liking. Unplug your laptop if it reaches 80% battery life then charge it back in when it reaches 40%. This will allow you to conserve your battery life as much as possible. You can keep it plugged in if you're doing heavy tasks like gaming or rendering to maximize your laptop's performance while plugged in. Remember to choose the option before Best Performance on your power mode. You can also tweak your battery settings by right clicking the battery icon on your Taskbar towards Power Options. I personally prefer using Best Battery Life performance whenever I'm unplugged then I hit Sleep when I'm gonna be away for an hour or two. Hibernating comes in when I sleep at night or go travel in a bit. I just shut my laptop down during important updates or every Sunday. To check the remaining life of your battery, press Windows Key + R, type powercfg /batteryreport then press Windows Key + R again to type C:\Users\User\battery-report.html right after CMD loads up and closes itself. A browser will pop-up which shows the statistics of your battery. View your Battery Cycle Count using Lenovo Vantage to see how many cycles that you've done since your purchase. Mine is 231 cycles with a full charge capacity of 45,550 mWh (this was around 45,100 mWh last month but after I optimized my kinda base model laptop given that it's a GTX 1050 TI with the configurations above, it managed to increase this month in mWh, though I'm not sure if it's good or bad but at least I'm getting more battery use when unplugged). To minimize battery consumption, close your active apps on your Taskbar such as Bluestacks or Rainmeter if you're not using them. Don't forget to turn off your keyboard lights (Fn + Spacebar) to maximize its life span. Hopefully, your laptop temperatures will get lower as well as increase your battery life during unplugged use. Try to invest on a laptop cooler/stand to maximize the airflow of your unit when you're using it. I haven't tried repasting my unit so maybe I'll do it soon. I usually turn my 2 fans on (Fn + Q) only when I use heavy tasks ranging from Adobe and Rendering software to Online and Offline Games. This may also be applicable to other laptops as well especially to the Legion Lineup Series. Keep in mind that your overall PC performance might lessen due to the methods that I mentioned. In my case, I only experienced a little FPS drop from High to Ultra Settings on different games while maintaining the same and adequate FPS within the Low and Medium settings. Lastly, I believe that prolonging your PC lifespan includes optimizing its overall temperatures during usage rather than keeping it around 90-100 degrees Celsius at peak use. But if you want to make the best use of your unit and not care about when you'll replace it, you can keep using it the way that you like (fry your internals as much as you want).

Options

18 Posts

05-24-2015

ID

22 Signins

192 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2020-09-30, 13:44 PM

Nice and good update,  hope our other (Y530) friends out there follow our suggestions. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete