cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenPro
What's DOS?
Views: 3,462
Message 1 of 5

Legion Y540: Does i5, 60Hz display configuration significantly improve battery life?

Hello everyone,

what keeps me from buying the new Y540 with GTX 1660 Ti are reports from reviewers and users saying the battery life would last for around 2 hrs while doing office only tasks.

However, what I noticed is that the machines used in these reviews were configured with Intel's six cores i7 cpu along with a 144Hz display.

So I wonder how much of additional battery life could you squeeze out of the 57Wh standard battery if I configured the Y540 with a four cores i5 cpu and with a 60Hz display?

Does this significantly improve the battery life? If not, do you know other ways (e.g. undervolting, deactivating cores) that might work and help increase the mobility of the Y540?

Many thx!

Regards,

LenPro

Guru
Views: 3,434
Message 2 of 5

Re: Legion Y540: Does i5, 60Hz display configuration significantly improve battery life?

"Does i5, 60Hz display configuration significantly improve battery life?" 

No.

The Legion is a gaming laptop with desktop CPU.

If you need long battery life look for laptops with Intel's xxxxU mobile CPU and 10-12 hours of battery usage.

DatIsNice
Paper Tape
Views: 3,290
Message 3 of 5

Re: Legion Y540: Does i5, 60Hz display configuration significantly improve battery life?

Hello LenPro,

I can't really tell you whether using the i5 instead of a i7 provides you with any benefits in any regards or not.
But what I can tell you is, that the battery life of my Y540 with i5-9300H  (RTX 2060, 60Hz) lasts for maybe 5 - 6 hours when (really) only watching Videos at FHD and HD - display brightness at max. If I work with Office tools aggressivly maybe about 5 hours. 

If I only read and write documents - or - use the laptop only *on the side* for sporadic surfing and some calculations and maybe some short explaning videos while being in lecture or so, lowering the brightness, it might hold for almost 7 hours. Without turning it off inbetween.

But it should be noted, that while the display on full brightness really is surprisingly nice, lowering its brightness turns it pretty dim. Still, I know that there are users who are comfortable with it, and this surely beneftis their laptop's batterly life.

If you are constantly watching videos and surfing the net for nsfw, while working on a project or what ever, I guess, it will be less than 4 hours^^ It also depends on your operating system, choice of internet browser, etc.

However, in battery mode, my CPU is limited to 50 %, about 1,2 Ghz, (still enough for everything that comes to mind [as it is still a quad-core] - but gaming), I use the energy saving mode right from 100 % battery life - but without permission to adjust the brightness of the display. My Windows look is dark, as well as my Youtube design. And, I do undervolt sometimes - even though I expect [actually I have no clue] to make no real difference when the CPU is limited that strong anyway.

If my options are responsible for this fair results, it might work similarly with a i7 as well, as you can limit its CPU while battery mode to the same level as I do. I guess it is still far less efficient than the "Us" processors - but at least the CPU doesn't waste so much energy on powering up for random stuff.

But I do not know.

These are just my settings for my laptop - and the outcome of my configuration might actually be pretty insignificant.

And it only works as long, as you don't need your Nvidia (especially as it starts the fans too), which you usually don't. 

Hope I could somehow help you^^

Regards,

DatIsNice

alf100
Punch Card
Views: 3,257
Message 4 of 5

Yes, a 60hz monitor has lower power consumption compared to 144hz.

For the processor, there is not a lot of difference in the power consumption difference between i5 and i7. at least not while using the battery. For longer battery life, I think disabling turbo boost will have more inpact on battery consumption. You can use throttlestop application to disable turbo boost

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/47qczd/how_to_disable_intel_turbo_boost_to_improve/

DatIsNice
Paper Tape
Views: 3,241
Message 5 of 5

Yeah, or using Windows energy settings. Reducing it even further, with a six core, should have a strong beneficial effect on the power concumption without hindering any casual works. 
Still, the other components of the notebook, and the battery itself, will limit the battery life soon.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors