SI

1 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 7

Legion Y540 USB type C compatibility

2019-10-09, 16:49 PM

Hello.

I've recently purchased the laptop in question and saw it has a USB type C port.

I tried plugging a cable into it but nothing happened.

I tried plugging it into the wall socket with a USB C and nothing happened.

Is there any point to it?

Options

11777 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7064 Signins

741234 Page Views

• Views: 741234
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Legion Y540 USB type C compatibility

2019-10-09, 17:42 PM

Hi mattx1233,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

As showed in the user manual page 8, the Type C USB port is not intended to charge the laptop. What it does is :

• Charge USB-C compatible devices with the output voltage and current of 5 V and 3A.

• Transfer data at USB 3.1 speed, up to 5 Gbps.

• Connect to an external display.
– USB-C to VGA: 1900 × 1200 pixels, 60 Hz
– USB-C to DP: 3840 × 2160 pixels, 60 Hz

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

1 Posts

03-28-2020

DE

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 7

Re:Legion Y540 USB type C compatibility

2020-03-28, 11:43 AM

Hello, is it possible to connect with two Displays via usb-c?  With a USB-C Dockingstation? 

Options

1 Posts

04-26-2020

PE

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-04-26, 21:30 PM

Hi. 

In the case I need to connect a type c earphones, it is possible? Or I have to buy an adapter to use them?

Options

1 Posts

07-17-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-07-17, 16:54 PM
Does it support charge through type c port..?
Options

2 Posts

08-01-2020

AF

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-08-01, 9:17 AM

Sure can.
DP over USB Type C is just regular Displayport 1.4, which has Multi-Stream Transport (mst) which also streaming more then 1 monitor over the same cable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Multi-Stream_Transport_(MST)

and yes, mst does work over USB Type C 

In regards to how many monitors you can do (in general),
Intel integrated graphics supports up to 3 (last I checked)
Nvidia supports up to 4 monitors (which this computer uses Nvidia so the computer does 4 monitors).
AMD supports up to 6 monitors.

The laptop screen does count as one.  So with the Y540, you can either do 3 external and the laptop monitor, or 4 external and disable the laptop.

In regards to how

Option 1 ( not the best imo )
You can get monitors that let your daisy chain but there kinda rare (mostly only seen dell make these things), so I would just grab a docking station that supports mst.
Here is a description.  Anyone know if lenevo makes one?  I have yet to see one myself.
https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln293813/how-to-daisy-chain-multiple-monitors-using-displayport-multi-stream-transport-mst?lang=en

Option 2 ( best imo )
Just get a dock or dp splitter that support mst.
One thing to note though, while a dp 1.2 will work it's better to make sure the hub and splitter is DisplayPort 1.4 and NOT 1.2...
Mainly because DP 1.4 will support higher resolution and higher framerates across multiple monitor on the same DP connector.

Most docking stations out there are 1.2 which supports a lower bandwidth.

I recommend this guy for USB C.  It's a simple DP 1.4 mst hub.  Has 2 DP and 1 HMDI ports.  Uses 0.3 amp per port you connect, so 0.9 amp max
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XYCHGQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's self powered buy usb type C, so no need to plug anything into the other USB C power on the hub ( it has it there for laptop that support it, but the Y540 does not so you can just ignore it )

If you want DP, this is the same 1.4 mst splitter hub as above but with a DP connection.  This requires an external power source so you would plug a wall wart into the USB C power port on the hub.  Has the same 2 DP and 1 HMDI ports
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Splitter-Windows/dp/B08B44D3FB/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=cable+matters+mst+hub+usb+c&qid=1596270807&sr=8-4

While sure any other dock or hub with DP mst from lenevo would work fine ( I would call Lenevo and ask if you are unsure ), the two I listed above I purchased for myself and have at home for personal use with the laptop ( and use with other computers / laptops as well ).

With the Y540, I tested both of them and they work fine.  For the Y540 though, USB C one is the better of the two.  Mainly cause you just need the one USB Type C cable to plug into the Y540 and no power supply needed.
Reason why I think this option is best is because you can use any 2 monitors with a DP and a third one with a HMDI connection.
The order in which you populate the hubs does not matter.  You don't need all three filled to use.

In case you where wondering, yeah you can even mix an match what you are throwing over the USB type C and DP connection.   3 on USB C and 1 on DP, 2 on USB C and 2 on DP, 1 on USB C and 3 on DP, or maybe laptop monitor with 2 on USB C and 1 on DP.

Even more fun stuff to note is that the RTX 2060 has Display Stream Compression (DSC) so you can push more resolution/frames if the monitor you got supports it.

DP is one nifty protocol that really outshines HDMI in terms of capabilities.
Whatever laptop you get, should prolly lean towards having at least one imo.
That and a USB port with DP alt mode.
Both give you monitors for days...

and yes, the Y540 has both :)

Options

2 Posts

08-01-2020

AF

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-08-01, 10:33 AM

Oh, and no it does not support charging over usb type C

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete