07-25-2019

IN

6 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 16

Legion Y540 display colour is too warm

2019-08-09, 8:50 AM

I recently got the Legion Y540 with Intel Core i5-9300 9th Gen, 8GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, and the laptop display tuning is too warm. The whites and all other windows seem to be overlayed with a yellow hue since the initial setup. Here's my progress in trying to fix it: 

First I checked if the Windows 10 Night Light was on, and it was not. 

Then I checked the Lenovo Vantage app which has a colour temperature slider under System Tools/Hardware Settings/Audio-Visual, that did not help as the slider was already at the coolest setting possible, and to be extra certain I disabled the Eye Care mode and Auto Eye Care mode to no solution. 

Then I went under the NVIDIA Control Panel, under Display / Adjust despot colour settings. There I tuned the RGB colours to improve the situation, and for a while it worked. Then for some reason the settings would not stick, and the display would randomly become warmer again. I would have to go into the NVIDIA control panel again and manually change the colour sliders for the settings to take effect again. But then the problem would persist all over again. I had the selection set to "Use NVIDIA settings" and not "Otehr applications control settings". 

Then I tried messing with the Windows 10 settings like those under System / Display, and even the Colour Filter settings under Ease of Access settings, but that didn't help either. 

Then I went into Bios and enabled the Intel Discrete Graphics, and tried using their colour profile settings under display, but those settings like the NVIDIA ones did not stick, the display kept reverting to the warm tone over and over. 

I could not figure out what app / setting was overriding my other settings, and based on my research online the NVIDIA settings did not stick due to some driver issue in Windows 10 where the issue is known but no solution has been provided by Microsoft.

At one point I read somewhere going into Tasks and disabling some settings under the Windows tab might solve this, but that didn't help so I reverted to the original settings. 

I finally found a solution working for me at the moment. After reading online I went into Start, typed "Colour Management" and went into those settings, and under the Advanced tab used the "Caliberate Display" option to make the display cooler. So far (since a week) these settings have stuck.

Since I had also set the NVIDIA settings, upon booting all the colours would be way off, so I chaned the Display settings there to "Otehr applications control colour settings" and things have been kind of okay. 

The colours still seem way off, all reds appear more like vermillion and so this solution has not been a proper fix, more like a bandage on the problem. I use this laptop as much for architecture and graphics as I do for gaming (work and personal), so having a proper solution would be much appreciated. 

Could this be a problem with the display being faulty? I haven't contacted support directly yet since my usual experience has been very on the surface solutions like Windows 10 Night Light etc, and I have gone way deeper than that already.  

Thank you in advance for your response

Options

65 Posts

04-07-2019

IT

438 Signins

2581 Page Views

• Views: 2581
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Legion Y540 display colour is too warm

2019-08-09, 9:18 AM

If you log-out from your windows user, the colors of the log-in page are normal?

Options

7 Posts

07-25-2019

IN

6 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 3 of 16

2019-08-09, 10:04 AM

I signed out from my account through the start menu by clicking on my account icon and sign out. It led me to a lock screen not containing my custom image, giving me an option to sign in to my account. The colours on this screen (with a generic landscape wallpaper) seemed normal and not warm. 

This above mentioned screen was different from my lockscreen. This leads me to believe there is a problem with me syncing settings across devices? I have a different personal, older Acer laptop which I have kept around as backup, I am signed in there as well, with "sync settings across devices" turned on for both. Heck, I also have a Lumia 950 XL that I use actively (as a media device) which has sync personal settings turned on. 

Could there be an issue due to this? Any change in settings you can point me to would be of great help. 

Options

65 Posts

04-07-2019

IT

438 Signins

2581 Page Views

• Views: 2581
  • Message 4 of 16

2019-08-09, 12:25 PM

Your problem is related to the "night light settings" of windows 10.
The problem can be caused by a lot of factors, search on google for one of the many guides.
In my experience removing Lenovo Vantage from autostart solved the issue.

Options

2 Posts

08-31-2019

IN

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 5 of 16

2019-08-31, 8:38 AM

I am getting the same issue with the screen i turned off but not working. Then I make it on now. But on start for a few time display shows correct then it turns to warm screen.

Options

2 Posts

08-31-2019

IN

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 6 of 16

Re: Legion Y540 display colour is too warm (Solution)

2019-08-31, 16:05 PM

How to use Eye Care Mode in Lenovo Vantage:

1. Search "Lenovo Vantage" using your Windows operating system search function (in the Start menu or task bar, lower left corner of your computer).
  2. Click "Lenovo Vantage" 
  3. Click the "Hardware Settings" button on the main page, then select "Audio/Visual"
  4. In the "Eye Care Mode" section, when a user turns on the "Eye Care Mode" toggle, blue light emission will be reduced to a more comfortable level and the slide bar cannot be moved. If user turns off the "Eye Care Mode" toggle, blue light emission will return to the last value the user set.
  5. The user will be able to slide the bar to adjust the blue light emission level when the "Eye Care Mode" toggle is turned off. Sliding the bar to the left results in a warmer screen color and to the right a colder screen color.
Options

6 Posts

10-08-2019

IN

9 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 7 of 16

2019-10-08, 16:31 PM

I am facing the same issue, can you please share the update or the solution for the same, please?

I tried all the steps mentioned by you and no luck whatsoever.

Please do reply and let me know.
My device is just 1 day old and I am really worried about this.

Options

6 Posts

10-08-2019

IN

9 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 8 of 16

2019-10-08, 16:40 PM
I tried this but there is no such thing in the autostart app list.
maybe you can help us out with a screenshot, please?
Options

0 Posts

02-14-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 9 of 16

2020-02-14, 11:41 AM

I just got this laptop and I have the same problem. My reds look like vermillion and I have to tweak pretty hard inside the Nvidia color settings to make things look better, but they're never really accurate. It has nothing to do with Windows night lights setting, those are off from the get go. I got this laptop for video editing but the color scheme is a nightmare. I see no other option as to return it to the shop. Too bad!

Options

1 Posts

03-03-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 10 of 16

Re:Legion Y540 display colour is too warm

2020-03-03, 12:08 PM

Has anyone tackled this problem? In my opinion yellow is too intense in my Y540. I checked Lenovo Vantage applications, I have eye protection turned off, the temperature is set to cold by default.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete