Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IgorGorka
Token Ring
Views: 5,197
Message 1 of 10

Legion Y720 Tips & Tweaks for Heating

Hi everybody!

After troubleshoting some heat problems and underclocking issues at my Legion Y720, I found out what causes them and repaired by myself due to untrusted waranty service in my country. Some will include delicate handling, some will not. So let's start the topic! This is only for Legion Y720.

Step 1: Identify if you have thermal throttling.

First, check the temperatures of your both CPU & GPU. If they go up to 85C maximum without downclocking the CPU or GPU, then your laptop is not encountering thermal throttling. How to detect the thermal throttling? Here is how:

Option 1: Using HWInfo64

Firstly, you can use a program like HWInfo64 to identify if you have any throttling. Here is a picture on how it looks with no throttling.

picture1.png

Option 2: Check it in your Task Manager -> Performance Tab

Right Click on the Task Bar -> Task Manager -> Performance tab and click on CPU. Run a stress test (I use Aida64 Stability Test in Tools option with first three options enabled) and see if the CPU downclocks itself to 2.66-2.69Ghz. If yes, that's thermal throttling. This occurs because processor it's downclocking to reduce the temperatures so it not burns itself. It's a good thing but also it's bad to have it.

Step 2: Fixing the issue.

Now, let's see what we can do if we encounter thermal throttling.

Option 1: Undervolting & Disable Turbo Boost using ThrottleStop.

Search on Google and download ThrottleStop. After downloading it, open it. It will ask for Administrator Control so select Yes. 

WARNING! DO NOT PLAY WITH VOLTAGE UNLESS YOU'RE KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE DOING! DOWNVOLTING IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM OVERVOLTING AND OVERCLOCKING! DO NOT OVERVOLT! IT MAY CAUSE YOUR CPU TO FRY UP! I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FRIED COMPONENT BY FOLLOWING THE NEXT TUTORIAL! DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES BY YOURSELF UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCED WITH THOSE STUFFS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Now, let's start. Enter in ThrottleStop and chech the box "Disable Turbo". This will dissable your CPU Turbo Boost Technology. Don't check/uncheck anything else.

picture2.png

Turbo Boost Technology is used by Intel CPU's to overclock their clock speeds when heavy tasks occur. It increases performance, but it heats up the CPU more (sometimes by 20C+). Disabling it will save a lot of CPU power consumption and will cool it down for not a big impact on performace.

CPU cores on I7-7700HQ with Turbo Boost enabled will be:

1 Core Active: 38x

2 Core Active: 36x

3 Core Active: 35x

4 Core Active: 34x

These are their default options on Turbo Boost.

Now, go to the FIVR tab.

picture3.png

Here, you will check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage. Leave it selected to the Adaptive and don't change it. Now, you will need to do this to the CPU Core, CPU Cache and Intel GPU. Same steps: Unlock Adjustable Voltage and now you will change those specific settings.

picture5.png

Before changing any voltage offset, check the box named Save Voltage Changes to ThrottleStop.INI. Check the first box, named "OK - Do not save voltages". This will allow you to be more safe.

picture4.png

To the Offset Voltage, use the left arrow or drag with the cursor to the left, not right. Set it to the -100mV -> -120mV. This is a safe number. Tested for one week, no crashes even in stability test over one hour. Now, set this to CPU Core, CPU Cache and Intel GPU. Don't change anything in the other tabs. Just those three.

Now click Apply, then Ok. Close the FIVR Tab, click on Save in ThrottleStop, run a benchmark and now you will see your CPU standing at 72C maximum with the worst thermal compound applied and not properly applied even. Your CPU won't downgrade it's clocking speed to 2.66-2.69C because isn't hitting thermal throttling anymore (starts at about 87-90C).

Option 2: Opening the laptop and reapply the thermal compound with a better one.

This method is more delicated. First, check if your waranty will be voided if you are opening your laptop case. In some countries yes, in some not. I opened myself even if the waranty would be voided but I didn't left any evidence that it has been opened. So use this method by yourself, but I'm not responsible for any waranty voids! You have been warned again!

The laptop is easy to open. Just unscrew gently the screws from the back of the laptop and remove the backplate and try not to be too agressive. You should be able now to see the heatsink with the fans. 

Remove the screws from heatsing which keeps the heatsink attached to the motherboard, but gently.

Clean the old thermal compound with some Isopropyl Alcohol 99% (for best effect) and be sure that the old compound is removed. Don't be agressive so you will not break anything from CPU or GPU. Use the X method to apply the new thermal compound, and don't put too much. Search on google to see how it's done. 

Now put everything back, gently so you don't scratch anything or break anything, and screw the screws back. Same with the backplate of the laptop. Power your laptop and you should see a cooler operation. This method drops the temps by 5C to 25C depends on appliance and thermal compound. I use Arctic MX-4. Other good options and even better than MX-4 are Noctua NT-H1, Arctic Silver 5, Grizzly Kryonaut and IC Diamond 24-Carat. Those compounds should be non-electric conductive. So it won't affect your CPU/GPU.

Option 3: Waranty

If you still see too much heat in your processor, you can use both Option 1 and 2 to cool it even more, but this will be user limits. If still heats up too much (above 85C and the CPU underclocks itself) you should send your laptop to the waranty service or ask for a replacement.

This method is for Lenovo Legion Y720 and again, try it on your own risk. If you thinks it's too dangerous or you don't know what are you doing, go directly for the waranty option.

And that's all! Enjoy your laptop!

Wanna talk about an issue? Message me and we will see if we can solve it in some fast way without damaging anything!

Troubleshoting a problem is better than living with it. Nothing cannot be solved unless it's destroyed with a hammer or flamethrower. XD
Guru
Views: 5,171
Message 2 of 10

Re: Legion Y720 Tips & Tweaks for Heating

Great post buddy. Keep it up.

Also for anyone following this, please take care and DO NOT overvolt or overclock without knowing what it is.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
IgorGorka
Token Ring
Views: 5,168
Message 3 of 10

Thanks buddy! I told them in post to not overclock or overvolt the CPU/GPU because it will end in frying it up if it's not done properly. It's written with Bold, Underline and red color.

Cheers!
Wanna talk about an issue? Message me and we will see if we can solve it in some fast way without damaging anything!

Troubleshoting a problem is better than living with it. Nothing cannot be solved unless it's destroyed with a hammer or flamethrower. XD
IgorGorka
Token Ring
Views: 5,166
Message 4 of 10

Found an issue that I struggled with it in this week. My number 3 numpad key wasn't working at about 2-3 minutes after booting Windows (thought it was an undervolt issue. Founded out that it was a bug from HWInfo64. So don't panic if a key isn't working (try for numpad 3 first to see if it's like mine). Maybe HWInfo64 has a problem with the keyboard (Dunno why, but after closing it, everything on keyboard goes up to normal again)

Don't panic, it's not a hardware issue. Just a bug from monitoring program.

Cheers!

NEODENJIN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,108
Message 5 of 10

Why do you feel the need to turn off turbo boost?

What if we left turbo boost on for regular web browsing and low performance tasks, but for gaming, turn turbo boost off because your probrably going to hit thermal throttling.

Alsom did you shedule throttlestop to boot each time you turn your computer on?

Has anyone undervolted beyond 120?  If so, what are your results?  This is a great thread with some good information, let's all share our CPU and GPU overclock and undervolt strategies.

EDDjoemena
Punch Card
Views: 1,753
Message 6 of 10

I've managed -0.155V and completed the benchmark using intel XTU it did that fine at 32C on idle though when playing games for some reason it crashed most likely due to GPU temps intervering. Afther that i tried turning it up untill it ran like a well oiled engine wich was -0.145V since than i ran it with no issue no crashes as stable as it can get on a idle temp of 35C ( note it is summer now and my room is at 34C when i did it i didnt take note of temps in room during -0.155 but assuming its probably 30 then or so). so now i can hold a stable system with -0.145V at 35c idle when playing ( Monster hunter worlds ) i got down to 3.5Ghz > 3.8Ghz ussualy at max temp of 78C during loading etc but ussualy at 69C  

Partoutatix
Punch Card
Views: 1,748
Message 7 of 10

People don't get a thick and heavy gaming laptop with an i7 7700HQ to then turn off the turbo boost and run it 20% slower it at the base 2.8GHz or less. 

There's a detailed throttlestop guide here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Lower-Temperatures-Stop-Throttling-and-Increase-Battery-Life-Th...

Once undervolted the Y720's cooling should be able to keep the 7700HQ cool at turbo boost with decent ambient temps. It's possible that you will still see throttling/sustained performance drops unrelated to temperature limit/power limit. I found that disabling speed step and enabling speed shift (SST 64) fixed that.

I've had a similar issue with the GPU overshooting its boost clock and then overcompensating by going below its base clocks with sustained low performance. Conservatively flattening the GPU boost curve with afterbuner at a the base boost frequency at a low voltage  (825mv/1670MHz for instance) seemed to fix it.

Only thing I haven't found an easy software fix for is the overheating nvme SSD.

EDDjoemena
Punch Card
Views: 1,746
Message 8 of 10

Overheating NVME SSD eh i personaly havent had it go above 40C but then again im not constantly writing to it just using it for games sometimes. They do sell thin heatspreaders or thicker ones depending on the clearances wich should help a little bit maybe? i havent tested it myself so i cant really say. I've heard that these overheating is a common thing from people though.

maazsheikh97
Punch Card
Views: 1,713
Message 9 of 10

Well I put 2 bottle caps to lift my Y520 from behind and saw a 10-15 degrees improvement in temps. As it intakes air from below and Lenovo did a very pathetic job with the cooling system.

Lmdoge
Paper Tape
Views: 1,394
Message 10 of 10

I have nvidia840 and i7 and a extra ssd in lenovo edge 15 and Im going to buy an edge 2 with nvidia and i7 no ssd. Should I undervolt all the things? Also can i do this through BIOs after testing in throttlestop or not much diff

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors