cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geøstigma
Punch Card
Views: 1,207
Message 1 of 5

Legion Y720 extremely high RAM usage on startup!

I don't have any programs running and my RAM usage is between 35% - 45%, usually closer to the upper limit. The laptop has 16 Gigabytes and I have a Desktop of pretty much the same configuration and system that only uses like 10-15 percent of  the max RAM.

I don't know what's going on and I don't have any demending programs installed, my system is up to date and I can't seem to pinpoint what's been eating my memory.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,198
Message 2 of 5

Re: Legion Y720 extremely high RAM usage on startup!

You should be able to tell what Process(s) are using the RAM by opening Task Manager (making sure that More Details is selected in the lower left) and then from the Process Tab, sorting the running process by memory usage by clicking on the Memory Column header (name) at the top.

Once you know the process(s) that are using the RAM, report back if you still need assistance.     It may be Superfetch, and AV program, or even Windows Update, but Task Manager will show you the culprit. 

Best of Luck,

geøstigma
Punch Card
Views: 1,189
Message 3 of 5

Hey!

Thanks for the reply but I already did that. I know my way around the PC to some extent so I've already tried all of the basic solutions like disabling services and programs, killing processes that I'm not sure what they are and similar.

Is there a way to submit a report of all active processes?

I could screenshot them but I honestly don't think anyone would be able to tell anything from that as I have a Desktop that has roughly the same number of processes yet uses much less RAM.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,169
Message 4 of 5

Yes, you can output a list of running process and their memory usages using the steps below while you are experiencing high memory usage.

• Open a Command Prompt (Admin)    - Left-click Start, type “command,” and you’ll see “Command Prompt” listed as the main search result. Right-click that result and choose “Run as administrator.”
  • In the Command Prompt (Admin) window, type (or copy and paste) the following command and press Enter

tasklist /FO csv > "%userprofile%\desktop\tasks.csv

The command will create a file on your desktop called tasks.csv, which you can then zip up (required by Lenovo Forum) and attach to your reply.   

If you want to see the results in the file, you can open it with Excel, or any other spreadsheet program.    You can also view with notepad, but 

Take care,

geøstigma
Punch Card
Views: 1,133
Message 5 of 5

This will come in handy in the  future. Thanks.

Surprisingly enough, the memory usage levels have significantly dropped for some reason, probably because I disabled and blocked Superfetch from re-running itself.

I will leave it for now to see if the problem returns.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors