Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanBoechat
Paper Tape
Views: 3,329
Message 1 of 10

Legion Y720 keyboard suddenly stopped working

Hi.

As the title says, I was using the notebook normally when the keyboard suddenly stopped working. It also doesn't work in the BIOS.

I know the following methods probably wouldn't work, but just to be sure, I've already tried restoring the system, disconnecting the battery, reinstalling drivers and updating the BIOS (it was already the latest one).

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

tommytran46
Paper Tape
Views: 3,264
Message 2 of 10

Re: Legion Y720 keyboard suddenly stopped working

I have the same problem...I can't even login. Please fix this issue asap.

Guru
Views: 3,233
Message 3 of 10

Hello, try this: Power on the laptop, and then press the power button for about 30seconds. The laptop will shut down but keep holding the button for 30 seconds. This will discharge any static that may interfere with the keyboard

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

DanBoechat
Paper Tape
Views: 3,226
Message 4 of 10

Doesn't work.
Guru
Views: 3,223
Message 5 of 10

Ok then, you should send it in a Lenovo service center for inspection

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

tommytran46
Paper Tape
Views: 3,204
Message 6 of 10

I am very happy to say I have found a solution. After calling Lenovo support and them telling me my keyboard is defective even after remotely using my laptop (I obviously knew that wasn't the issue), and also going to geek squad frustrated that there seemed to be no answers. I finally did some research myself. 

I went to Command Prompt as an administrator and entered this in:

dism /online /remove-package /packagenameSmiley Tongueackage_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

Upon the completion of removing the package, I entered in Y (with my onscreen keyboard since the built-in keyboard isn't functional) and when the computer restarted...all was well!!!

Personal tip: after this upsetting issue, I turned off automatic windows updates.

If that does not work, maybe another option will.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-f...

**EDIT: the smiley face represents a "colon" and a "p"

DanBoechat
Paper Tape
Views: 3,195
Message 7 of 10

I don't have my notebook with me at this moment, but I'm skeptical if this solution would work with me.

This seems to be a Windows problem, and as I've said before, my keyboard doesn't work even in BIOS.

Anyway, thanks!
sivash_l
Punch Card
Views: 3,129
Message 8 of 10

Hi.

I am having the same problem. there was a window update for symantic touchpad, then after that the keyboard and usb mouse stop working. It is such a P.I.T.A. I can't work!

There is no option for touchpad in bios menu either. I rolled back the Symantec driver and same S**t!!

The problem is i work on that computer and right now, it got me like a dead duck!

Someone Help!!

sivash_l
Punch Card
Views: 3,124
Message 9 of 10

tommytran46.

It worked!!

The command prompt instructions worked! Windows gotta get it's act together.

Thanks

Shazovo
Paper Tape
Views: 3,067
Message 10 of 10

I had this issue before, though with mine only certain keys ('k', 'l', 'a' ect.) wouldn't work. I had to use an external keyboard.. I fixed the issue after updating the BIOS, plain sailing for weeks after that. But a few days ago the issue returned!! I haven't tried updating the BIOS again yet, but I'm pretty annoyed that this problem has re-occured, back to the USB keyboard. And I've only had this laptop for 5 months...

The cmd thing unfortunately didn't work for me...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors