Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcusr
Serial Port
Views: 477
Message 1 of 3

Legion Y720 questions about Windows 10 install and m2 nvme cache

Hi, I just bought an Legion Y720 with only the 2Tb HDD, so I added an Samsung 960 EVO 256gb to be used as boot drive. 

At first, I was unable to install it because it wasn't recognized by the system, so I found out I had to change the controler on BIOS from IRST to AHCI and I was able to install the OS on it. So after that I installed the IRST software for cache, but it is unable to see my 960 EVO, it only see the HDD installed.

My question is, is it possible to cache the HDD using part of the 960 EVO? I want the HDD to be used to install games and I think cache could make it faster to load them.

I googled and found out about "Primocache" software, but if I could do it using IRST software would be great since it is free.

Guru
Views: 460
Message 2 of 3

Re: Legion Y720 questions about Windows 10 install and m2 nvme cache

When games run off of the HDD, they have a lot of the data loaded into RAM and hence they work faster. The only difference you may see in running a game off of a SSD vs a HDD is the load times, however, the load time difference is negligible in most cases.

I have been running several games off the HDD without modifications and they work really well.

The one game which has noticeably longer load times is Witcher 3, apart from that every game performs pretty similar. Online games may suffer if you install them on the HDD, so if you are going to play multiplayer make sure you put them on the SSD.

As for your question, I do not have an idea how well that would work.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
marcusr
Serial Port
Views: 411
Message 3 of 3

Re: Legion Y720 questions about Windows 10 install and m2 nvme cache

@rockykoston Thanks for the reply, I guess I will just install Witcher 3 on my Samsung 960 and other games on HDD.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors