Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Filipeluk
Token Ring
Views: 20,041
Message 1 of 28

Legion Y720 randomly boots onto LCFC Debug Page

This is an issue that is quite annoying and I really haven't found anyone with the same problem on the same Laptop, not even a specific solution, so I'll post mine here:

Sometimes, most likely randomly, my Laptop boots up onto some weird "LCFC Debug Page", in which I have to press ESC in order to proceed with the normal Windows Boot. Just a quick note from one of my previous posts here: I took my Laptop to repair a screen problem which was indeed a CPU problem that now it's fixed, but the Laptop came from there with some problems like the Lenovo OneKey recovery button was missing. This LCFC Debug Page never showed up until after repair. There are other ways of seeing this page. Sometimes when I restart my Laptop, it gets stuck in an endless loop trying to boot itself, but then it shuts down after 3 seconds, and it keeps doing this repeatedly. On and Off until I do a force shutdown (that is, with luck...). After successfully shuting down the Laptop, the LCFC Debug Page appears. I don't even know how to bring this Page so I don't really know why is this happening. It's really annoying and sometimes infuriating.

Here are 2 images that I took in diferent times. They both show the same information, exept for the Post code.

24_1_2018.jpg24/1/20184_4_2018.jpg4/4/2018Note: depending from your region, the date format might be diferent. For me, its DD/MM/YY.)

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 19,891
Message 2 of 28

Re: Legion Y720 randomly boots onto LCFC Debug Page

Hello Filipluk,

That certainly isn't something I've seen before or read about elsewhere.  Which BIOS version are you on? Below is a link to  4GCN35WW which was released in March.  If you happen to be on that version could you try reinstalling it; doing so will probably require you changing the setting for BIOS Back Flash in the BIOS Configuration menu first.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/LEGION-SERIES/LEGION-Y720-15IKB/dow...

Please let us know what happens.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Filipeluk
Token Ring
Views: 19,885
Message 3 of 28

Yes that's the one I'm using but this problem happens since January, and since then I've updated my BIOS for about 2 times and this still happens.

Filipeluk
Token Ring
Views: 19,829
Message 4 of 28

Anyone?

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 19,808
Message 5 of 28

This is an output from a Power-On Self Test (POST) debugger. When the computer is starting, it uses these codes to report what it is doing. If it hangs during startup, then the last reported code narrows down the problem. Some of the more common POST codes can be looked up here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005500/boards-and-kits.html

The sequence has to be read from the right. 0x1D would be something like "determining memory size", and 0x25 - "memory configuration complete." So if it hanged up after 0x1D before reaching 0x25, you could strongly suspect faulty memory to be the culprit, although to be able to see these codes upon startup you'd typically have to use separate hardware: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POST_card

Unfortunately, the most interesting code here, 0x07, is in the vendor-specific range, and not publicly documented by Lenovo. However, 0xDn codes refer to boot device choice, so my guess would be that for some reason (sometimes?) the laptop can't find the device to boot from. I'm not sure if it should be considering that many boot devices upon startup in the first place.

I'd try the following:

1. Reflash the BIOS, which also resets all settings to their defaults - but it seems you've already tried that.

2. Make sure the boot device configuration in the BIOS is correct.

3. Unplug any storage devices (secondary internal drive, external USB devices, etc.) other than the boot drive.

4a. Check boot drive partition layout, EFI, BCD settings.

- or, the nuclear way -

4b. Remove all partitions from the boot drive and reinstall Windows with the default partition layout.

There seems to be very limited information publicly available about this "LCFC Debug Page" feature. Personally I'd love to know how to turn it on for normal startup.

Filipeluk
Token Ring
Views: 19,803
Message 6 of 28

Thanks for your answer. Basically I've done everything you've mencioned here (Default BIOS settings, boot configurations are good and in order, unpluged everything before booting and finally, I Reinstalled the Whole Windows Software after my Laptop went to repair throw that way, by removing / deleting all partitions and let Windows create it's own partitions to suit himself) . Since I posted this on the 3th of April, I haven't seen this page anymore. Seems to be random.

Just a quick reminder: this all happened after I send the Laptop to repair. I usually restore eveything that comes from a repair.

chinhchilla
802.11n
Views: 19,787
Message 7 of 28

I've had this issue with my Y520. Coincidentally, I've also had my laptop sent in for a motherboard replacement and they also replaced the CPU. I believe the LCFC page started happening after I began using a non-default charger. It happens very randomly. When I press the power button, the laptop begins to power on then shuts off after 1 second with a beep. When I try to turn it on again, the LCFC page appears and I have to press the ESC key, after which the laptop boots normally. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try!

NH_Gal
Paper Tape
Views: 19,304
Message 8 of 28

I Have this issue also in the last week on my Y700. I have not had any previous repairs and the screen is a little different as I have (wake_by_unknown) line. I hit the escape key and it boots normally. Don't seem to have any other issues at the moment. Not extremely proficient at tech stuff, bios is way over my head so not sure how I will fix it. 

MimisMoreira
Paper Tape
Views: 17,018
Message 9 of 28

I'm facing the same issue since the beginning of this week with my Y520. It showed the LCFC screen 4 times in 6 days. It hasn't been through any repair and the problem started completely out of nowhere. 

I don't know how am I supposed to fix this as the notebook comes up with lots of things in Swedish despite English being set as default language. Smiley Tongue

MimisMoreira
Paper Tape
Views: 17,013
Message 10 of 28

Did it for the 5th time right now. After WAKE_BY_POWER and WAKE_BY_UNKNOWN messages now I have a brand new WAKE_BY_PME_S3 as the wake source.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors