Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeverPerfect
Paper Tape
Views: 363
Message 1 of 5

Legion Y740-17ICHg laptop [technical charging issue]

I'm aware this is a built in feature to preserve the battery, however I'm still searching for any possible way to disable this feature. Here's the issue, the laptop is plugged in not charging (over 95%), i'm trying to play game, if i unplug and plug it in, it's still not charging, the laptop will essentially freeze the battery percentage between 95-99%. When I turn in on, the laptop is always at 100% because i leave it charging, this has become a constant problem for me because the games I play wont run on battery power without lagging, how can i fix this without unplugging the charger and waiting for the battery to drain 5%, it's just so annoying to have to do that every time I use my laptop... terrible feature for a gaming laptop.

Guru
Views: 336
Message 2 of 5

Re: Legion Y740-17ICHg laptop [technical charging issue]

It's a good feature to have so that your battery doesn't die early. However, it shouldn't be interfering with gaming like that. As long as it recognizes that the charger is plugged in, it wont switch over to battery profiles/settings.

Go into device manager and try out some different battery drivers. Has it always been like this or is this a recent issue?
NeverPerfect
Paper Tape
Views: 312
Message 3 of 5

It has always been like that. The problem is that every time I turn it on, its above 95% from the last session. I always power it down and then unplug it at 100% after a session, so when I turn it on it always shows plugged in not charging at 98% for example. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't hold the battery hostage between 95 and 100%. What I mean is no matter what you do it won't drop below 95% and won't ever begin to charge if you try to play a game (which is why I want to disable the feature all together) , its essentially frozen at 98% and you could play games forever with lag and it will never recognize you're trying to play a game and start charging the battery. All you get the plugged in not charging message and a GPU that is struggling off battery power. The laptop is nice, but having to unplug it every time you turn it on and wait for the battery to drain 5% before you can start gaming on a laptop made for gaming is a big issue for me. What battery drivers do you recommend I try? Do you think I could send my laptop back to Lenovo for removal of this battery saving mechanism if there is no way to disable it? Thanks

Guru
Views: 309
Message 4 of 5

You can simply go to the battery icon in Device Manager and let it either search for new drivers or you can pick a random one from a list.

You can also try disabling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" driver that's in the same place.

You can always call up Lenovo about this issue. If they can't help you over the phone, they may let you send it to them so they can take a look at it.

This isn't an issue that's supposed to happen, so some driver or software is acting up. Let me know what happens.
alf100
Punch Card
Views: 245
Message 5 of 5

I still didn't understand the problem. So did you experience lag when you unplug the charger or plug the charger? I always plugged-in my laptop when gaming and never experience any lag. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors