Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 3,340
Message 1 of 18

Legion Y740 - annoying fan control when gaming

This laptop has a peculiar problem with the fans. They run either very slow (barely audible) or very fast (quite noisy) and there are no states in between.

When doing standard work, they're thankfully never noisy. However, when gaming (as is often the case with gaming laptops), the fans spin up to the fast speed and after a few minutes, when the components get cooled down by the fans, they spin down to the inaudible slow speed, then the components get hotter again and the cycle continues.

This is incredibly distracting, because the laptop switches from very noisy to very quiet every few minutes. The expected behavior would be to have the fans spin up gradually to just the right speed depending on the load and not oscillate between two very different speeds. Every laptop I've had, had normal gradual fan control and I never thought it could be otherwise, until I bought this one.

There is a long thread describing an almost identical problem with an older model Legion Y530 Fan Control where the users have gone as far as editing hidden options in BIOS, but even that did not fix the issue! So this is apparently a long standing problem with the embedded controller's firmware and its weirdly calibrated temperature tables and my question is...

Is there a hope of this ever getting fixed by Lenovo or should I return the laptop, while I still can?

Guru
Views: 3,255
Message 2 of 18

Re: Legion Y740 - annoying fan control when gaming

Have you tried this:

Right click the battery icon in the taskbar, go to power option, change plan settings (for your set powerplan), change advanced settings, go to processor power management, system cooling policy, and set it to "Active". This way, it isn't trying to slow down the fans whenever it can.

Let me know what happens.
bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 3,245
Message 3 of 18

I have. It seems to have no effect, unfortunately.
Guru
Views: 3,242
Message 4 of 18

Well, you can call up Lenovo support and see if they have anything to say about it. They'll likely ask to see it if they think it is an actual problem. But likely this isn't something that'll go away. You can try to ignore it, or use headphones while gaming (that way you wont hear it cycle).
bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 3,239
Message 5 of 18

I've emailed Lenovo support, still waiting for an answer. I was hoping the support staff browses these forums.

Using headphones as a fix would be excusable if this was a hardware limitation of a cheap laptop, but this is just lousy code on a €1900 laptop. And it's not too hard to fix by the right person, if the message ever gets to them.
Guru
Views: 3,237
Message 6 of 18

This may or may not work for you since it can be dependent on your computer, but here's a link to a video showing how to control your fan speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhf-vIlLoY

I'm sure Lenovo staff do browse the forum every now and then, but it's unlikely that they'll stop for any one particular issue.
bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 3,102
Message 7 of 18

Unfortunately, this is not working on a Y740.
wiinter
Paper Tape
Views: 2,676
Message 8 of 18

Man.. I bought the Y740 because the reviews said it was the quieter laptop of the batch that was reviewed. But I have this exact same problem. It's the oscillation between the two states that is distracting, not so much the loudness.  Though, it would be nice if it COULD be adjusted down to only the fan speed required to maintain ideal temps.. rather than it just being on full blast.

I've got a Y740 and a Y530 in the house that have the noisy fan issue. Interestingly, I have a P50 for work, that I slam all the time, that is not noisy at all.  The new Y740 replaces a Dell Alienware 13 R2 that was quiet as a mouse.  So it's quite jarring!  Anyway..  </rant>

ivanrylka
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,409
Message 9 of 18

Any success on this issue guys? 

I am judging Y740 - 15inch also because I read that it's quiet. And what I read here is disurbing.

I can confirm the experience with P50 and Quadro M2000M - it's super silent most of the time and even maximum fan noise is nothing...

I was hoping to get close to it .... 

Look at the attachment. It suppose to be even more silent in average then P50...  !!! Any explanation?

Thanks for opinions! 

Ivan

bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 2,372
Message 10 of 18

Not really. There's been some development on Y530, but that doesn't apply to Y740 - I tried myself.

As for the noise, it's one of the quietest gaming laptops. However, most modern gaming laptops (with GeForce 10xx or newer) are very loud when under load and I'd say this one is sligtly below the threshold of being really annoying. The other brands are even worse, as you can see from the notebookcheck.net chart. And yeah, there's the issue with fans oscillating between quiet and loud, when playing a game which doesn't max out on the load.

As for noise when idling, it's okay-ish. The noisiest part is definitely the 7200RPM HDD, which I swapped out for a quieter 5400RPM one and it helped dramatically. The fans don't start running immediately when you wake up the computer, but kick in after 5-10 minutes of use and keep spinning constantly. There's room for improvement, but it's not too bad and I'm afraid there are currently no quieter laptops with RTX cards, maybe except the Razer, which is only available in western Europe and the US.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors