Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivanrylka
Blue Screen Again
Views: 702
Message 11 of 18

Re: Legion Y740 - annoying fan control when gaming

Thanks for clarification!

Maybe swapping the second HDD for SSD would not only help with noise but also to cool down the entire thing which would bring even less fan usage? Any thought on that ? 

One more thing I'd like to know. Some internet reviews are mentioning disturbing high frekvensy noise/whistling in low fan speed graduing with fan speed. Did you experience that ? 

Also is any coil whine - whistling present ? 

(I am noise sensitive kind of customer, as you can see, unfortunately I still need strong configuration. ) 

bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 691
Message 12 of 18

Yeah, I understand completely, I'm that kind of customer too Smiley Happy

My unit has no coil whine, the GPU makes subtle clicking noises under very specific loads (some benchmarks) - almost unnoticeable. Never noticed this in a game or when idle. The HDD was the only part producing an annoying high pitched noise, which is why I replaced it.

The fans produce mostly regular noise, with a hint of a tone. The tone is not particularly high pitched and it's audible only in very quiet environments. However, there are two identical fans running in sync and their speed is matched with only so much accuracy, which means the tones can get ever so slightly out of sync and you may hear an effect similar to binaural beats. It's not too bad, but I'm a little concerned it may get worse with time. But this is a problem with laptops with two fans in general.

I know this may sound nitpicky, but whatever. If Macbooks can run with passive cooling under light load, a gaming laptop with huge heatpipes should too.

ivanrylka
Blue Screen Again
Views: 687
Message 13 of 18

So nothing like is mentioned here?

https://notebook.cz/clanky/recenze-notebook/2019/lenovo-legion-y740-15ich/chlazeni-v-klidu-i-zatezi

(if you are in SK you will probably understand the review, or google translate it)
bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 675
Message 14 of 18

Nope, definitely nothing like that. The reviewer may have had a faulty unit, who knows? I'd recommend checking out the laptop in a showroom, if possible. They had one in Alza, which is how I confirmed, that the noise levels are acceptable for me.
bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 191
Message 15 of 18

This has been fixed somewhat with the latest BIOS update AVCN20WW(V1.10). The bios notes say just this:

1.Improve user experience and fan cooling function.

In reality, Fn+Q now toggles between a quiet fan profile and a performance/aggressive/gaming fan profile (instead of spinning the fans at maximum speed). The quiet profile seems largely unchanged, except it seems to stop the fans more often at the expense of more heat.

The latter profile is more interesting for gaming. When the system heats up, the fans start spinning at a high RPM and keep at it until the system cools down considerably. This should help eliminate sudden fluctuations in fan speed when gaming.

There's no obvious way to tell which profile is active, except for reading the Embedded Controller value at 0x12 - 0 is normal, 1 is gaming mode.

Starhowl
Paper Tape
Views: 119
Message 16 of 18

Can you explain to us please on how to read out that status value? E.g. which program to use?

Edit: One alternative I just found is the Lenovo Vantage application. The fan profile button changes position with each pressing of Fn + Q.

bureido
Paper Tape
Views: 110
Message 17 of 18

I couldn't get Lenovo Vantage to work. It didn't show me any info regarding the fan profile. What does it say when you toggle the profiles?

I used https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc which doesn't work for this laptop, but it has a handy utility ec_probe, which allows you to tinker with EC registers. (Use at your own risk, yadda yadda.)

ec-probe.exe read 0x12 retrieves the current profile

ec-probe.exe write 0x12 0x01 sets the fan to gaming/performance mode

ec-probe.exe write 0x12 0x00 activates the quiet/CPU throttled mode

Starhowl
Paper Tape
Views: 107
Message 18 of 18

Thank you for your reply.

As I wrote: The button toggles according to each press of the key combination Fn + Q.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors