RO

17 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 1 of 18

Legion Y740 electrical buzzing noise

2019-06-16, 20:03 PM

Dear Community,

This is my first post here and I hope it does not go sideways. Good to meet you all. 

Regarding my post: I was not able to find a similar problem to mine on the internet and neither here. I saw some posts for the y520 but it appeared that there was a different issue with some buzzing noise from the speakers.

Context: I recently bought a Lenovo Legion y740 15 inch with a 2070 maxQ GPU and I've been doing different kind of tests and played some different kind of games until now on it. The initial instalation was done with the drivers that were provided in the laptop. Windows is up to date, drivers are up to date from lenovo website.

The problem is that there is a buzzing noise in certain situations in only certain games. It is like an electrical buzzing noise which is kind of creepy. It sounds like a it is going to short circuit soon.

It appears as it doesnt matter if it is plugged in or not, it does not come from the speakers, the sound is there even if there is no peripheral plugged into it. So I can take out the possibility of a faulty port from the laptop or peripheral connector. Sometimes I can hear some buzzing noise in my headphones as well, like a small part of the hiss that is happening there is transmited up the headphones, but it's bearly audible.

Since I play mostly World of Tanks, I managed to see that in this game I always have the noise when I am in the lobby of the game (in the garage). It is in my understanding that the game is using Ray Tracing tech in the garage and to test that I have lowered the graphics quality of the game to medium and most of the "fancy stuff" deactivated. There was no more hissing sound. About in-game, I did not really noticed it. To be fair the fans are cranking up as well and it would be harder to hear it.

I am attaching a video that I took with my phone and you can hear quite well the noise. I am pressing ALT+TAB so you can notice the difference between Desktop and In Game mode.

Buzzing noise video - Legion y740

What I could deduce until now is that it could be a GPU issue? If it was a software issue there should not be a physical audible sound, right? To me it really sounds like there is some connector in the laptop that is not connected/stiched properly, might it be a hardware issue?

I  am really unsure of it. Did any of you had a similar issue or know more about this, I would appreciate it a lot!

Cheers!

P.S. GPU driver version: NVIDIA Studio Driver version 430.86

Options

11489 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7016 Signins

739684 Page Views

• Views: 739684
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: Legion Y740 electrical buzzing noise

2019-06-17, 21:36 PM

Hi DanG31,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The details you provide sure helps us isolate the buzzing sound from audio/ speaker issue against hissing noise conducted internally (probably GPU components) as source.

Best recommendation I can advise is to have it reported to tech support so they can check it internally and provide in warranty service for your machine.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

6 Posts

08-02-2019

FI

10 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 3 of 18

2019-08-02, 23:21 PM

Hey, I'm having the exact same thing happening on my Y540, did you get any update ?

Options

4 Posts

08-08-2017

RO

17 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2019-08-05, 16:59 PM

Hey! I got no solution yet, I did not follow this anymore since I am very busy with my thesis now. Also I kinda dropped it for now because this problem is not really affecting the performance, at least for now.

But I will go to customer support soon and I will post here the conclusion I will get from Lenovo. Do the same if you plan to get in touch with CS as well.

Cheers!

Options

6 Posts

08-02-2019

FI

10 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2019-08-05, 17:01 PM

Hey, thanks for the answer.

I indeed contacted Lenovo and am sending my laptop to their workshop tomorrow, hopefully it's nothing too bad.

Good luck with yours !

Options

4 Posts

08-08-2017

RO

17 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2019-08-05, 17:27 PM

Really? What did they say about this issue? Do they acknowledge it or just say it's normal noise?

Btw... Did you make any reference to my post?

Options

6 Posts

08-02-2019

FI

10 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2019-08-05, 17:41 PM

No I haven't sorry, I thought you would have been done with it already.

I opened a ticket at first explaining more or less the same things you have here, then they answered this morning asking to either try with another charger, or I could send it to the workshop.

I contacted them on the Lenovo chat as I don't have another charger and they asked me:

- if that happens when unplugged (nope, even when I set all settings on performance when on battery)

- try other sockets on the walls (no extension cords)

Then he told me that I could go to the seller to get it tested or send it to their worshop (what I am doing as I bought it on Lenovo website).

They never said it was "normal", but honestly it's not a normal laptop sound and is way too specific to be normal.

Options

4 Posts

08-08-2017

RO

17 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2019-08-05, 17:56 PM

No worries, I was just curious what they would say.

But indeed, they asked you about some basic scenarios. I really hope it's nothing serious, however I bought it from a retailer, not directly from Lenovo so lets see how these guys will respond to it.

BTW... Where did you hear the noise? In a specific software / game scenarios? Or is it continuous?

Options

6 Posts

08-02-2019

FI

10 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2019-08-05, 18:04 PM

I think you can still send it to the workshop, they said the seller as well as it would be easier (the workshop is in Germany and I'm in Finland, that will take approximately 2-3 weeks)

When I play only, like during a game of League of legends, or the most is in guild wars, as soon as I drop off the loading screen and into the game, starts quite loud and then a bit less but can hear it when I put my ear against the keyboard. (I actually forgot to mention that it happens when I play on ultra settings but not when I play in the lowest).

The sounds seems to come from the right half of the laptop, like under the num. pad.

So yeah my guess was like yours, something with the GPU.

Options

6 Posts

08-02-2019

FI

10 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2019-08-14, 12:13 PM

Hey, just to let you know, I got a status update on my repair today, they diagnosed it was caused by failing component(s) they will replace.

Cheers.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete