cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elghinnarisa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,890
Message 1 of 21

Legion y520 - Sleeps by itself even though it should not.

Hello!

I had my y520 for a few months now and I am very happy with it, except a very random issue that I have.

I have all sleep functions turned off, I do not have any use for them. But the laptop frequently enters sleepmode by itself.

In the Event Viewer, I can see the reason it states is "Battery Critical"  "Entering sleep - reason: Battery"

Now here is the problem, I seen this happen right before my eyes, even when I was using the laptop, plugged in with the cord. And, at 100% charge.
It keeps entering sleep, stating the battery level is critical. When it is not. 
This happens very frequently during nights, when I leave it on to transfer files or similar. Just to wake up with it being off.

And as I stated earlier, I was one day watching youtube and POFF, it turned off. Battery critical. Even though it was plugged in, at 100% charge the second I turned it on again.

Not really sure how to fix it.

dvcunning
What's DOS?
Views: 2,838
Message 2 of 21

Re: Legion y520 - Sleeps by itself even though it should not.

I have this problem too.  

I noticed my laptop was going into sleep prematurely. I verified my power settings aren't to blame.

My laptop is going into sleep mode after 2 minutes and 15 seconds of inactivity.  

This is a problem because it causes background tasks to disconnect from the network.

I flashed my bios to the latest version. This had no effect. 

WinniePoh
802.11n
Views: 2,830
Message 3 of 21

Could you set your critical battery event to Do Nothing? It's a workaround, but it isn't too bad of a workaround.

Current System - Lenovo Y520. Say thanks with a Kudo! 

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Elghinnarisa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,798
Message 4 of 21

I have had it sent on "Do nothing" for quite a while now, it still hasn't completly fixed the issue. I still wake up some days, with the machine turned off. With no useful events in Event Viewer.

Either way, it is a decent work around, but i dont think I should have to use such a work around.
After a using the laptop quite a bit the last few weeks, I have multiple times watched the battery guage jump from whatever it currently is on (normally 50-60% since I use the conserve batter life setting) down to 5% for 2-3 seconds, then up to where it used too be.
But, it also jumps the opposite way, it jumps from a lower value, up to 100% for a few seconds and then down again.

It's almost like... the laptop is unable to communicate with the battery for a while and just throws a random value, I don't know. But it's strange, and annoying.

Guru
Views: 2,772
Message 5 of 21

Try a power flee once -

1) Shutdown laptop and disconnect the power adapter

2) Press laptop power button for 45 seconds.

3) Reconnect the power adapter and start the laptop.

4) Test it out for some time.

If that does not fix it, then this could be a power adapter or battery issue. Try using the laptop ONLY on battery and see if the battery guage jumps around.

If yes,

then first try updating the ACPI firmware in control panel > device manager

or contact lenovo for a warranty case and get the battery / power adapter replaced.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Elghinnarisa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,750
Message 6 of 21

Excuse the crudity of the gif, I have some work related stuff on the screen that I cannot show. But this is exactly what happens,

4P8C0rW

I have yet to try the suggestions because I have not found the time, but since i capruted it on video I figured I would add it to the thread. The black-ish overlay that happens is windows warning about low battery.

And to add, at this point in time, I was not at the machine. It was sitting alone, on a table, doing nothing and had been for quite a while.

Elghinnarisa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,660
Message 7 of 21

So, short update.

I started dualbooting Debian a few weeks back and have the last 4 weeks had it running Debian. 
Since that, I have not had a single issue. So I am suspecting this is a windows related problem, since Debian doesn't have any issues at all. It doesn't sleep, battery level doesn't jump up or down, and no random critical battery warnings.

I have yet to boot up windows since then, but since the problem does not seem to exist in Debian, I would assume that it is Windows doing some of that fancy magic its so good at.

ennui101
Paper Tape
Views: 2,336
Message 8 of 21

The going into sleep (in the middle of typing an email was driving me nuts. I was about to return the machine despite the couple of full days I had spent customizing it when I came across this post. I followed the directions as to power off, etc. and 24 hours later it continues to work flawlessly. I wish I understood what I had done, but I'm not going to quibble over success.
AM_Y520
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,291
Message 9 of 21

please help me !! I'm facing the same problem but it happens almost 5 to 7 times a day !! it's driving me crazy ! I did everything possible but nothing solved the issue !!
please ! I want to know what's happening here ! it's hibernating in the middle of my important work ! I'm lucky that I'm working on an nVme drive so waking up is fast but still frustrating though !! my laptop is only 3 months old,always connected to external power,on conservation mode .. everything is up to date even the BIOS ..
AM_Y520
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,290
Message 10 of 21

please teach me how to read/use Event Viewer

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors