Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maxigor
Not applicable
Views: 3,539
Message 1 of 18

Legion y530 with GTX1060

Hi there here is a user of brand new y530 with gtx1060 version,  laptopis great but battery lifeis horrable...

so my question is to other users or support is it for you  normal that you have 75% brightness and opened word, WIFI on, and doing nothing than just reading in word and cant get ove 2.5h off battery life, for laptop that costs nearly 2000 $ in my country DISASTER!

and one other thing because of all this they put 170 W adapter that is half of waith of laptop like 1.1 kg?? so all together has 3.4 Kg to carry around!?

does any of you now for travel lighter edition or some comaptible one....

Many thanks for answers, feel free to comment on any of this concerns.

Igor, Croatia

sergioosh
Not applicable
Views: 3,522
Message 2 of 18

Re: Legion y530 with GTX1060

Hi Igor,

Legion series is a gaming laptop series. Most gaming laptops have poor battery life.

As a quick comparison I searched for other laptops with 1060 and checked the battery life on them.

First two I found was Dell G5 15 and MSI GV62. First lasted 2 hours and 32 minutes in battery test, the second around 2 hours.

Next one was Dell G7 15, and it did get better results managing to go over 5 hours, but it does use the Max-Q version of 1060, has a 4-cell battery (y530 has 3), and is slightly bigger.

All in all those results should not be surprising.

Regarding the power brick... If you would get a smaller one it wouldn't be enough to power the device.

I believe you could run it on a 135W power adapter, but be advised that it will not deliver enough power to the device while under heavy load.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
Maxigor
Not applicable
Views: 3,513
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for fast reply, I totally understand you and that it should be normal but working without load just word and WIFI ? Isn't that odd? 

Is there anybody that has this model  and care to share his stats here...

Thanks

sergioosh
Not applicable
Views: 3,508
Message 4 of 18

There's few things we can check and try to fix to make it better.

First of all what power plan are you using?

Another thing I'm thinking off is that your 1060 is being used where it should stay idle and let the integrated Intel GPU run the show.

Please follow the KB article below about the "activity icon" and see whether the Nvidia GPU is active while idling and no apps open.

If it's not, that's good. However, try opening a browser and maybe some flash content (e.g. youtube) to make sure nothing else doesn't trigger the Nvidia. I hope Word doesn't trigger it, but try that too.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops-Knowledge-Base/Utilizing-the-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics-of-...

I have the Y530 but with 1050Ti. I'll use it tomorrow at work and let you know how long it lasted.

Maxigor
Not applicable
Views: 3,502
Message 5 of 18

I used balance plan ...

Wil try this I will try this solution that you posted, and also waiting for your feedback here many thanks for your help.

Igor

sergioosh
Not applicable
Views: 3,463
Message 6 of 18

I've been using the laptop for almost 2 hours and still have 62% left.

Something's not right with your one.

My bet is still on Nvidia GPU being active and eating your battery up.

Maxigor
Not applicable
Views: 3,459
Message 7 of 18

I see, I tried putting this icon on taskbar, but it seems gtx is off all the time while on desktop, word, 

What are your specs all the same or? 

I7, 16Gb RAM, ?

Could it be the screen it's 144hz 300 nist version.? 

What are you settings for brightness? Battery Plan?wifi? so I can compare...

Thanks

sergioosh
Not applicable
Views: 3,450
Message 8 of 18

For the most part the same.
i7, 16GB
I used to have 128GB nvme SSD + 1TB HDD but I reaplaced it with 256 Samsung nvme SSD and a 2TB HDD.
I have the 60Hz screen.

Also using balanced plan. Brigthness at 50%. Wifi on and using the ac9560 (2x2) adapter.

In the end the difference between the 2 of them should not double the power usage. Something must be wrong...
Maxigor
Not applicable
Views: 3,445
Message 9 of 18

s couldt agree more, problem is that its a fresh laptop and no reviews on interet about it off any kind even nothingon youtube... for your model I see around 4, 4.5 h of usage that seem to fit your testemony.

do you maybe know any of review for battery life for this 1060 model?

Mahomie
Not applicable
Views: 3,428
Message 10 of 18

@Maxigor wrote:

s couldt agree more, problem is that its a fresh laptop and no reviews on interet about it off any kind even nothingon youtube... for your model I see around 4, 4.5 h of usage that seem to fit your testemony.

do you maybe know any of review for battery life for this 1060 model?

If you are not gaming on battery you can disable turbo boost with throttlestop. It helped my laptop with battery life. Before that mine battery were lasting about 1h 30min~ doing absolutely nothing and now it lasts much longer. 

LENOVO Legion Y530. I7-8750h, Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti, 16GB ram 2666MHz. SSD(128GB), HDD 1TB(7200RPM)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors