Options

3 Posts

01-12-2021

RU

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 6

Legion y540-15 cooler problem (and more)

2021-01-12, 19:51 PM

So, first of all, my pc is new (bought it 7 days ago) and recently, well, today i noticed that the left cooler doesnt seem to work. Even when some sort of game is on. The right one is spinning  like crazy but the left one spins for a second and then suddenly stops. He also makes some sort of crackling sound which i was not noticing before.

Besides that, i cant even launch Lenovo Utility app. Its just doesnt open. I have all the latest drivers and updates installed except the BIOS update, which doesnt want to be auto-installed for some reason.

Options

899 Posts

04-23-2019

US

436 Signins

14107 Page Views

• Views: 14107
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Legion y540-15 cooler problem (and more)

2021-01-12, 20:20 PM

Hi @rusler86,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Are you using the machine in a well ventilated area and on a surface that does not block the fans?

I would suggest checking if there are any foreign elements such as dust blocking the fans or vents.

Can you provide the MTM of the machine so I can also provide more device specific information and troubleshooting steps you can take?

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

26 Posts

12-28-2020

CA

16 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 3 of 6

2021-01-12, 20:22 PM

I am assuming your laptop is Legion Y540-15IRH.

If your laptop placed upward (facing up as normal), the left fan is the CPU side and the right fan is the GPU side.

If the fan (one side) is not spinning or responding, it is most likely hardware failure which required to be replaced.  If it is under warranty, contact your Lenovo service center for repair.

The Lenovo Utility app is just the OSD (on screen display) in regards to laptop function keys aspect (mostly).  Once it is open (one time), it will run in the background and will run with Windows startup.  There is no panel or screen to access with it.

You can use the Lenovo website to do an online scan of your hardware.  It can detect most (important) hardware failures.  You can also save the report afterward and submit to Lenovo service center for review as well.

This is a community forum and I am just an user like yourself.  Hope this help.

You should obtain technical support from Lenovo service center as the main resources.

Options

3 Posts

01-12-2021

RU

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-01-12, 20:34 PM

To be fair i was placing it on the floor which at the time was pretty dusty. As i said the fan itself starts to spin for around a second then comes offline again. I'm not sure whether it is hardware failure or just the dust, but it looks like i will have to use service center either way.

Options

3 Posts

01-12-2021

RU

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-01-12, 20:37 PM
Im not sure what do u mean by 'responding' since i dont have the means to check how well it responds to the software alerts. As i said, it does work just for a short period of time, for around 5 spins and then goes offline. The cycle of on/off continues throughout the time thats the laptop is on.
Options

26 Posts

12-28-2020

CA

16 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-01-12, 21:09 PM

If you have placed the laptop on the floor, and the floor was dusty, there is a high chance some dust is caught inside the fan.  The worst case scenario is some hairs got snagged into the fan's motor.  You should never use the laptop if there is anything underneath it or blocking the vents.

Based on your description of the fan spinning, it seems abnormal for any fan to spin "on" and "off" while the other fan is spinning.  The fans usually (if not always) spin together at the same time (also get shut off as the same time as well).  So if one is not rotating the same as the other, there is something wrong with hardware NOT software.

You can try to vacuum any debris or dust from both fans and vents.

1) turn off the laptop, and unplug any wiring

2) flip the laptop over (upside down)

3) vacuum the back opening where air gets suck into the case

4) vacuum the side vents and back vents (and its areas)

5) optional: if it does not void your warranty at your location, and you feel comfortable to perform, you can un-screw the 11 screws and pry open the back covering (you can Google for videos on how to open up Legion Y530 / Y540); then you can review the areas surrounding the fans and heatsink areas, vacuum (carefully) as needed

If the above maintenance (which by the way, is normal procedure if you live or use the laptop in dusty environment) does not resolve the issue, you better get it replace as soon as possible with the Lenovo service center.  If you continue to run or stress the processor (either CPU or GPU) while there is no cooling solution, you are damaging your laptop and its components.

This is a community forum and I am an user like yourself.  Hope this help.

You should obtain technical support through Lenovo service center as the main resources.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms