Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

10-25-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 1 of 7

[LegionY530] Laptop is evidently defective, what are my options given my situation?(long)

2018-10-26, 3:43 AM

I've never been so dissapointed in a product.

Before I got the Legion Y530, I spent a lot of time advocating for it. I would go to youtube reviews for this laptop and explain to people in the comments why it was such an amazing product and why it was the best choice for gaming laptops under 1k. One example: I'm "Dee". The comments got a lot of likes and I've likely convinced many people to buy this even if the review I commented on didn't exactly praise it.

But then I actually got the laptop. (Sept 14th or 13th)

Since day one I have been dealing with an exetremely upsetting amount of problems. I've probably spent more time waiting around and repairing this laptop than I have actually using it. At this point the old laptop that this brand new y530 is suppose to replace is actually more reliable.

Here's what my experience has been like so far:

- Straight out of the box, Couldn't update to current version of windows and everything was incredibly slow - Eventually fixed by reseting windows and then using bootable drive
- Couldn't boot from usb - I think I fixed this by going through the BIOS
- After finally updating windows, couldn't update graphics drivers no matter what - Eventually Fixed by editing .inf files to trick the installer and/or updating with digitally signed drivers disabled(something like that, it was a boot option)
- After getting everything updated, startup was still incredible slow - Eventually Fixed by updating BIOS
- Disk Usage at 100% with nothing running causing the laptop to be completely unusable - Eventually fixed by reseting windows and then running disk check
- Booting to black screen - Eventually fixed by realizing the laptop can't boot properly when already plugged in to a secondary monitor(It's not even that it booted to the other monitor, both screens were black)
- Auto Repair Loop - Eventually fixed by reseting windows again (by going through BIOS and using bootable drive)
- Random Blue Screen - I think I just ignored this since it started up afterwards
- Auto Repair Loop Again - Eventually fixed by learning that the laptop couldn't handle sleep mode. It would disable certain services when it went into sleep mode and then didn't know how to turn them back on..
so I "fixed" it by disabling Sleep mode.
- And more!...

I write "Eventually" because in between all of those issues are hours/days of looking up solutions, waiting around for things to install(drivers, windows, etc), restarting processes when things get stuck(reseting/updating windows), and trying things that didn't work.

This is just the most frustrating and dissapointing experience I've ever had with any kind of product. The only reason I didn't refund/replace right away is because I'm good  with computers so I figured it would take much more time to go through the replacement process than it would to fix the issues myself. I'm an engineering student and it's the middle of the semester so I had to take the option that minimized my time spent without a working laptop. 

Now, I'm facing an issue where my games keep crashing due to memory issues. I've already tried every single software related solution but nothing has made a difference(reset windows, clean install old drivers/new drivers/previously working drivers, change page file size, etc).

I finally give up on trying to fix it. Everytime I fix something, something else goes wrong. Even in "perfect conditions"(all drivers properly updated/windows updated/minimal usage).

I'm just so tired of having to repair a brand new laptop but I don't think I can replace it anymore since it's been over 30 days. So, I guess my question at this point is just:

What are my options regarding returns/refunds/repairs?
Is it too late to do anything that won't cost me more money? Am I forced to just suck it up and pay/wait for it to get repaired, or will I be able to return it still since it's obviously defective?

I apologize if this information is readily available somewhere. Feel free to just link me to it. Also, sorry for the long post, I'm just incredibly frustrated right now.

Specs:

Lenovo Legion Y530, 1050ti, 1TB HDD + 16GB Optane, i7-8750H, 16GB RAM

Options

118 Posts

09-14-2018

Malaysia

95 Signins

1712 Page Views

• Views: 1712
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: [LegionY530] Laptop is evidently defective, what are my options given my situation?(long)

2018-10-26, 18:23 PM

Half of your problems are due to slow hard drive, mate

Laptop enthusiast and recommender from LTT forum
I own a Legion Y530.
Options

3 Posts

10-25-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 3 of 7

Re: [LegionY530] Laptop is evidently defective, what are my options given my situation?(long)

2018-10-26, 19:01 PM

That's not true.

After fixing the problems, the laptop would run at a perfectly normal speed (until I ran into the next problem). There's a difference between a HDD and a 7200rpm HDD with Optane. Regardless, I understand that HDDs aren't as fast as SSDs even with optane. None of my issues are related to that. 

When I say things are running "slow" I don't just mean slower than an SSD, I mean it's significantly slower than normal. 

When I say "Disk Usage 100% causing the laptop to be unusable" I don't mean the HDD was too slow for me, I mean it took atleast 10 minutes for something like notepad to open and end up becoming unresponsive. 

Options

45 Posts

09-28-2018

United States of America

70 Signins

683 Page Views

• Views: 683
  • Message 4 of 7

2018-10-27, 1:18 AM

I've had lenovo lemon laptops before. It happens. If Lenovo won't replace it, then some credit cards will step in and refund you where the seller does not. 

So far my Y530 has blown away my price/performance expectations. 

Options

118 Posts

09-14-2018

Malaysia

95 Signins

1712 Page Views

• Views: 1712
  • Message 5 of 7

2018-10-27, 10:16 AM

wrote:

That's not true.

After fixing the problems, the laptop would run at a perfectly normal speed (until I ran into the next problem). There's a difference between a HDD and a 7200rpm HDD with Optane. Regardless, I understand that HDDs aren't as fast as SSDs even with optane. None of my issues are related to that. 

When I say things are running "slow" I don't just mean slower than an SSD, I mean it's significantly slower than normal. 

When I say "Disk Usage 100% causing the laptop to be unusable" I don't mean the HDD was too slow for me, I mean it took atleast 10 minutes for something like notepad to open and end up becoming unresponsive. 

I have this problem before with my Y520. After clean installing Windows, the user experience felt much better even with HDD.

And yes, everyone have the chance to get a lemon unit

Laptop enthusiast and recommender from LTT forum
I own a Legion Y530.
Options

964 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

522 Signins

6631 Page Views

• Views: 6631
  • Message 6 of 7

2018-10-30, 8:07 AM
Sometimes things just come out defective. Lenovo will likely replace it for you.
Options

3 Posts

04-13-2019

Philippines

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 7 of 7

2019-04-13, 11:34 AM

Sir,, got my brand new y530,, about 2days old.. I've been reading a lot.. Because boot time is to slow.  Specially the 1st day and before updating all... Everything else is ok. But my only concern is boot time (2min. And 22 secs. To be precise) shutting down takes 32secs.. Longer than my 5yrs old laptop.. Is this because of the hdd? Or is there other problem? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms