03-21-2016

Omaha, NE

4 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 11

Lenovo IdeaPad Y700 15-ISK - Sleep mode problem

2016-03-21, 1:47 AM

I just bought the Lenovo Ideapad y700 15ISK and I'm having an issue with the screen waking up from sleep mode, and now I'm starting to think it may be something more. 

I shut my laptop (which I have set to go to sleep, obviously), and proceeded to go to bed. Woke up and opened my laptop, screen was blank/black with no cursor. I thought this was just a minor hang at first, and let it sit for 10 minutes while I tended to other things, came back and it was still blank/black. Since then, these are the things I have tried: 

1. Did a hard reset. Held the button for a good 15 seconds to be on the safe side, same issue. 
   - Keyboard responded at this time; I could turn on/off the keyboard backlight, numkey, power light and battery light are all on and fan/HDD seem to be running. 

2. Let it sit after the hard reset for about 30 minutes and nothing changed. 
3. Hard reset again, this time attempting to boot into safe mode, but nothing happened. Used the shift+F8 method. 

4. At this point I would have taken out the battery, unplugged the AC adapter, hit the power button for about 5 seconds and then put the battery back, however it's an interal battery, so I currently have two phones plugged into it to try and drain the battery. 

5. Have plugged it in to the second monitor, and nothing showed up there with any of the reboots, either. 

It's also worth noting that after the failed boot in number three, it got reset again (I called a tech) but now the keyboard is unresponsive. Power button light is on, keyboard is not responding, battery light and power light are both on and the laptop doesn't seem to be making any other noises at this time. Still blank/black screen. 

As far as anything installed or updated has gone: 

1. Came pre-loaded with Windows 10. I updated that the first night I had it (it's been about 4 days now). 

2. I updated the NVIDIA drivers as well. 
3. Have a turtlebeach headset but as far as I know nothing needed to be installed/updated for that, or my controller, mouse or keyboard (again, as far as I know, I didn't notice anything installing or updating when these were attached, however I could be wrong)

4. Steam and 5 of my games have been installed and run in between 4 days ago and now, with no issue. Also have Discord and OBS installed, as I run a twitch channel.

5. Uninstalled McAfee and have Bitdefender installed. 

I don't have anything else installed, haven't had the time between keeping up with streaming + getting used to the new laptop. I'm really upset because I spent good money to finally get myself a laptop that can keep up with me and now it seems that sleep mode or windows 10 (or both) are keeping me from actually using it. 

I am new to Lenovo products, I switched from Toshiba and I'm attached to this one already, does anyone have any fixes for this? 

Solved! See the solution
Options

2442 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3391 Signins

41995 Page Views

• Views: 41995
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y700 15-ISK - Sleep mode problem

2016-03-21, 2:41 AM

Press the 'Novo' button on your computer until a recovery mode comes up. Then you should be able to perform a reset on the computer. If that doesn't work, I think it may be that the hard drive died. Contact Lenovo support, they can help you with that. 

http://support.lenovo.com

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

3 Posts

03-21-2016

Omaha, NE

4 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 3 of 11

2016-03-21, 3:23 AM

Unfortunately this didn't work, which makes me really sad! Also took me a bit of searching to find the button!

So at this rate it's possible it's a hard drive issue, and it could have happened ag the factory, so is this covered under the standard Lenovo warranty? I have an extended warranty through NFM but they won't touch the laptop until the standard factory warranty is up. 5 days in and this happens, totally unexpected. 

Options

2442 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3391 Signins

41995 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2016-03-21, 3:37 AM

Yes, it's covered under Lenovo warranty. Just call them, chat them, or schedule a call back and they'll take care of the issue. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

10 Posts

01-23-2016

Canada, Calgary

19 Signins

247 Page Views

• Views: 247
  • Message 5 of 11

2016-03-21, 16:42 PM

I also had the same problem with my Y700.  I send my laptop to the depot repair. It has been around 7 weeks and it is still waiting for some parts to be replaced.

Options

2445 Posts

03-09-2012

CA

5597 Signins

25336 Page Views

• Views: 25336
  • Message 6 of 11

2016-03-21, 16:46 PM
Oh wow, 7 weeks not days! LOL
Sorry thats bad bad, one would think you're in the middle of the Sahara or Amazon's service center.

I would be calling and escalating that with a manager.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Options

10 Posts

01-23-2016

Canada, Calgary

19 Signins

247 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2016-03-21, 16:50 PM

Sounds like  a good idea. I only contacted the online service and maybe I should give a phone call.........

Options

2445 Posts

03-09-2012

CA

5597 Signins

25336 Page Views

• Views: 25336
  • Message 8 of 11

2016-03-21, 16:52 PM
Ha ha, I'd want to know where is being looked at. It shouldn't take more that a week to be back or on route back.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Options

2442 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3391 Signins

41995 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2016-03-21, 19:16 PM
7 weeks?! Ask for a Lenovo case manager to handle your case, they'll help you out if there is a part shortage or something.

Regards,
Eric Xu

Options

10 Posts

01-23-2016

Canada, Calgary

19 Signins

247 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2016-03-22, 16:49 PM

Thank you guys for reply. Funny thing is my laptop just arrived when we posted. They didn't send me the email about the shipment due to the weekend time. I contacted the cunstomer service and they arranged a case manager last week.

So, don't use sleep mode anymore, Y700 users.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete