Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-01-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 11

Lenovo L340 Gaming laptop power limit throttling

2020-07-01, 11:22 AM

Hi there, my lenovo L340 has been both power limit throttling and temperture throttling. I have used Intel xtu cpu stress test to whether it was power limit throttling or thermal throttling that keeps affecting my gaming performance, turns out it was both. The cpu stress test from Intel xtu showed that the thermal throttles occurs first and stops, then power limit throttles until the stress test is over. At the time I didn't know what is the cause of this, and went online for a solution. I heard some people said that undervolting the cpu would fix the problem, therefore I tried that by changing the core voltage offset in Intel XTU by -0.110 volts. I then tested to see whether the undervolt was stable by another stress test, I have noticed that the temperture throttling issue has been fixed as the thermal throttling section showed "No" throughout the cpu stress test, also the stress test showed no sign of instability as there was no blue screen of death, no crashes, so the undervolting was fine. However the power limit throttling is still occuring throughout the cpu stress test. I even tested it using the msi afterburner app while gaming, and it showed that my laptop is power limited. 

BTW all of this is tested using high performance mode and the power option is set to best performance while plugged in. Also other then undervolting my cpu by -0.110 volts, everything else is set to default. 

If anyone knows how to solve this issue of mine or has the same problem as me, please leave a comment down below. Here are my laptop specs: 

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-9300H Processor 2.4GHz (8M Cache, up to 4.1GHz)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5.
  • Storage: 256GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD.
  • Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400 mhz (1 x 8GB)
  • Operating System: Windows 10 (64bit)
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Views: 14361
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:Lenovo L340 Gaming laptop power limit throttling

2020-07-01, 12:57 PM

Hi there Stevenyau133

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Have you tried disabling Power Throttling through the use of Windows 10 Group Policy ? 

1. Right click the Windows Icon and select "Search" then
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Power Management -> Power Throttling Settings
  4. While here, double-click the Turn off Power Throttling policy.
  5. Now select the Enabled option.
  6. Hit the Apply, then the OK.

Windows 10 will stop limiting power on all apps, regardless of which power mode is configured on your device.

If you want to revert the changes, perform the same steps above, but on step no.5,  select the Not Configured option.

There are also some ways of disabling Power Throttling through Regedit, but it would be best looking that up yourself as it requires more thorough guides.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

4 Posts

07-01-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2020-07-01, 14:00 PM

Hey thanks for the help. I manage to disable the power limit throttling through registry, since my laptop is running on windows 10 home instead of pro. However, I have noticed that my CPU clockspeed is stuck at a stable 2.4Mhz while gaming the whole time. This is weird as the CPU runs around 3.97- 3.99 Mhz during the CPU stress test from Intel XTU and also while idle. So I was wondering whether there is a way of boosting the clock speed of the CPU to around 3.97- 3.99 Mhz while gaming. Here are screenshots of the clock speed that is taken while gaming and while idle. 

Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2020-07-01, 14:49 PM

Hello again.

Are you sure that is not the Mhz for the RAM that you have highlighted there ? I believe that shows RAM Mhz, not CPU Ghz.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

4 Posts

07-01-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2020-07-01, 15:14 PM

Yes, I am very sure that is the Mhz for the CPU clock speed. As I only enable RAM usage and CPU clock on the MSI afterburner monitoring feature.  

Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2020-07-01, 15:26 PM

Hi again.

Yeah, I completely blinxed when looking at the picture too. Says CPU,GPU,RAM etc on the left side. 

Hmm.. Maybe the computer doesn't need to utilize more then 2.4 playing that game then ? I can't really see any way of boosting it without using some soft of overclocking software.

Regards

Voithos

Options

4 Posts

07-01-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2020-07-01, 15:39 PM
Well, maybe you're right. I can't think of anything else that can be affecting the gaming performance, do you think it might be the single-channel ram that is causing the poor fps? I understand that my CPU and GPU might not be the absolute best, however, I've seen laptops with worse specs run that game better than mine. Also according to this website "https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri," my laptop specs is higher than the recommended requirements which does not make any sense since I get less than 60 fps most of the time with medium settings.
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2020-07-02, 10:23 AM

Well, the thing with duel channel and single channel RAM is that when you do not have two modules to begin with, the module will not run duel channel. You need at least two modules of the same type to run in duel channel mode.  Looking over the specs again, I would probably say that the 8gb of ram is what is setting you back here. Window's usually snags about 3-4gb depending on the computer specs and how much it is allowed to siphon from the hardware. That leaves quite little for games to work with.

Regards

Voithos

Options

2 Posts

11-30-2020

India

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 9 of 11

2020-11-30, 5:36 AM

Hi There 

I Also Bought This Laptop Couple Months Ago. And Started To Notice This. The Thing You Are Experiencing Is Thermal Throttling. So If You Are Playing Games That Demand More Cpu-Gpu Then You Bought The Wrong Laptop. This Laptop Does Not Have A Fan For Cpu. Its Poor Thermals And All This Makes It Throttles. This Laptop Is Not Meant For Gaming. Go For Acer Nitro, Asus Tuf Or Hp Pavillion. This Is Not The Laptop You Should Buy. 

When I Played Fortnite On Med To High Setting. My Fps Were 60 (Also This Laptop Has 60Hz Refresh Rate Which Is Not For Gaming) And Then It Fell To 15 Fps (Thermal Throttling) And After I Got To Know About These This I Was Dissapointed. 

Options

1 Posts

07-01-2021

Croatia

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 11

2021-07-01, 18:47 PM

Hi,

I have exactly the same laptop with the same problem as the original post.

I did what you said here but my cpu is still throttleing.

Is there anything else I can do to stop it?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms