Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

09-18-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 21 of 42

Re:Lenovo Legion 7 Random freezes.

2021-10-11, 19:46 PM

Yes, mine was a clean install right off the Microsoft website BUT did not require media, additional drivers or software, although I installed NVIDIA after the fact to use their drivers. All I can say is it has worked famously since. The freezing was unbearable and the system was new enough that I was okay with a fresh install.

Options

10 Posts

06-06-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 22 of 42

2021-10-12, 1:32 AM

I already use Win 10 Pro. That's the first thing I did after getting the laptop as I need it for my work (to enable BitLocker encryption). So, it's not that.

Maybe it's an issue with hardware acceleration in Chrome? I'll try that next and see if it helps. It's a PITA though, as that'll affect browsing performance.

Has anyone faced this issue while using anything other than Chrome or Chrome-based browsers (e.g. Brave)?

Options

15 Posts

10-11-2021

Malaysia

9 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 23 of 42

2021-10-12, 1:37 AM

@ SalRav wrote:

I already use Win 10 Pro. That's the first thing I did after getting the laptop as I need it for my work (to enable BitLocker encryption). So, it's not that.

Maybe it's an issue with hardware acceleration in Chrome? I'll try that next and see if it helps. It's a PITA though, as that'll affect browsing performance.

Has anyone faced this issue while using anything other than Chrome or Chrome-based browsers (e.g. Brave)?

I'm having the exact same issue on both Firefox and Chrome.

It also froze 3 times without any browsers running.

I also have bluetooth disabled after reading about it earlier. Doesn't help either.

Options

10 Posts

09-18-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 24 of 42

2021-10-12, 2:36 AM

I feel for you my friend. Assume it's ok to flex here... spent around $2.5K for Legion 7 16ACHg6, Ryzen 9, 32gb RAM, 2TB HD, Nvidia 3080 and I never knew when a mouse click would be my last. 2 weeks in I shouldn't have to deal with that. Did you do a clean install? I read that in a post so that's why I tried it. Also update to the latest BIOS, etc. Let us know how you make out. Sadly, you're in good company and I don't see any admins chiming in to help.

Options

10 Posts

09-18-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 25 of 42

One last thing...?! Re:Lenovo Legion 7 Random freezes.

2021-10-12, 2:41 AM

One final thing that just occurred to me that's different. Ever since I upgraded to Win Pro (and stopped freezing) I work exclusively off of my external monitor and close the lid on my laptop. Previously I used my laptop for dual screens, but for some reason I stopped that the same day and work with the lid closed. If you're using an external monitor try it... what the heck?!

Options

15 Posts

10-11-2021

Malaysia

9 Signins

205 Page Views

• Message 26 of 42

2021-10-12, 3:26 AM

@ Polkatodd wrote:

I feel for you my friend. Assume it's ok to flex here... spent around $2.5K for Legion 7 16ACHg6, Ryzen 9, 32gb RAM, 2TB HD, Nvidia 3080 and I never knew when a mouse click would be my last. 2 weeks in I shouldn't have to deal with that. Did you do a clean install? I read that in a post so that's why I tried it. Also update to the latest BIOS, etc. Let us know how you make out. Sadly, you're in good company and I don't see any admins chiming in to help.

My 16ITHg6 came factory-loaded with BIOS version h1cn33ww, which seems to be the latest BIOS from the driver downloads page for 16ITHg6 (and 16ACHg6). Unless Windows 10 decided to sneakily install the BIOS update without informing me, in which case, *groan*.

I have tried reimage-ing the entire drive (I created one right after OOBE before any updates were applied, with the entire device offline). This one seemed stable but the moment Windows 10 forces updates (silently in the background after connecting to the Internet) it reverted to freezing like before.

I called Legion Support and the tech remoted into my laptop and updated the graphics and chipset drivers. It still froze. I was then asked to "Reset This PC" (choosing the option to not keep any files). This gave me the OOBE screen again, prompting me to recreate my user account. Same problems (maybe worse?) except this time the updates came preapplied and the Nvidia driver has been mysteriously updated from 466.42 (the factory default and the recommended update installed by the tech)  to 466.61. Event Viewer also reported more errors than before, with a previously unseen "Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found" error (the Nvidia graphics driver). Apparently people have reported this causing freezes before, but my laptop already had freezing problems before this was introduced.

I have not tried a clean install yet. By this do you mean using the Windows Creation tool to create a bootable usb and then use it to install Windows 10 from scratch? Then install all the drivers manually and install Vantage?

I also haven't tried DDU-ing away the current drivers and reinstalling the Lenovo recommended ones in a Safe Mode environment. Should I try that first?

Currently the tech is recommending an SSD replacement, and if that doesn't resolve the issue, a motherboard replacement (which I think also swaps out the CPU and dGPU). I really want to rule out software issues completely first because I don't quite like the idea of them replacing the SSD and the motherboard/CPU/dGPU (repasting the heatsink/vapor chamber ensemble in the process) only to find out the issue still persists.

@ Polkatodd wrote:

One final thing that just occurred to me that's different. Ever since I upgraded to Win Pro (and stopped freezing) I work exclusively off of my external monitor and close the lid on my laptop. Previously I used my laptop for dual screens, but for some reason I stopped that the same day and work with the lid closed. If you're using an external monitor try it... what the heck?!

I don't have any external monitors.

Options

15 Posts

10-11-2021

Malaysia

9 Signins

205 Page Views

• Message 27 of 42

2021-10-12, 8:47 AM

Okay... think I might have accidentally stumbled across the solution. Or maybe a band-aid at least.

Previously when Windows updated its own thing on my first, brand new OOBE experience, the Nvidia graphics driver version remained at 466.42. But it started freezing even back then. This was probably Windows messing up the update.

When the tech reinstalled the drivers (to 466.42) and then suggested me to "Reset the PC" to return the laptop to its factory state, the Nvidia graphics driver mysteriously changed to 466.81, despite the laptop not being connected throughout the reset process.

It was at the back of my mind, but I didn't quite pay attention to this until my lappy froze again and I noticed "Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found" error messages before the freeze. With this in mind I DDU'd all the Intel and Nvidia drivers under safe mode. Reinstalled using Lenovo's drivers downloaded from the support page. All with the Internet turned off.. Turned on Internet, and guess what? Windows 10 decides to silently download and install a Nvidia - Display - 27.21.14.6681 update! Even when I explicitly told it not to update drivers!

I immediately paused updates, downloaded wushowhide, and then used it to hide the offending update. Laptop now seems stable. Currently testing to see if it freezes again.

If this actually works:

1) "Resetting this PC" is a lie. It does not truly reset a device to its original factory state. If there are some updates applied Windows may randomly decide to retain them even after a full Reset back to the OOBE login. This isn't like the OneKeyRecovery or recovery disks/USBs of old; the Win10 recovery partition is not stable and can be changed whenever Windows feels like it.

2)  The Nvidia - Display - 27.21.14.6681 update is what causing all the freezes. It also persists across Windows resets.

3) Windows is a piece of crap that forces hardware-breaking driver updates even when EXPLICITLY told not to.

4) Tech guys remoting into your laptop trying to apply driver updates is more or less pointless for cases like this because there's an active Internet connection and Windows will revert any changes they make anyway.

5) There may be an underlying hardware issue causing this if 27.21.14.6681 doesn't cause similar problems on other people's new laptops. Or maybe Windows just goofed up big time and decided to force the update on me but not other people.

(Maybe that's why installing Windows Pro work because Microsoft is more careful then. Or maybe reinstalling forces Windows to reevaluate your laptop's hardware and software environment and pushes you down a different patch-update path.)

Anyway, my Windows installation is now a big mess from all the freeze and hard restarts. Multiple errors keep popping up on the Event Viewer, there is some minor stuttering here and there, and Windows Store is stuck on an infinite loop trying to download Direct X updates. Battery life is like 1hour40mins on Quiet power profile and 60Hz screen and just idling. LatencyMon is reporting DPC spikes over 1.5ms. DDU also removed the Nvidia Control Panel and the one installed by the Windows Store is really laggy. But at least the system no longer constantly freezes every hour or so.

If this is stable for 2-3 days I'm going to reimage the entire system drive (AGAIN!) and then block the offending update there before continuing. THEN I can finally start testing my workstation programs and games.

I sincerely hope all the freezing and graphics card driver muckup hasn't cause any damage to my system. Especially the graphics card itself.

Options

5 Posts

10-13-2021

Germany

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 28 of 42

2021-10-13, 21:08 PM

Hi guys,

exactly the same behavier with my brandnew Legion 7 16ITHg6 (with Intel i9 11980HK + GTX 3080). It is just a random freeze while gaming... it's so frustrating.

I already tried Cogsmith tip downgrading the NVIDIA driver and block the windows update, but unfortunately this doesn't solve the problem.

I also have the Windows Pro version from stock installed. Until yet, I havn't tried an external monitor - will give this a try next days.

Options

2 Posts

10-13-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 29 of 42

2021-10-13, 21:13 PM

I have the same model - 16ACHg6, and as of October 13, 2021 I am having the freezing issue as well. 

Normal temps, hybrid mode off, light browsing. Complete hard freeze. I noticed that the audio continues (I was in a Zoom session), but everything else is frozen, even the mouse cursor. I'm using an external monitor via HDMI connection. 

GKCN44WW BIOS

AMD 5900HX

RTX 3080

32GB RAM - 2x16GB Samsung DDR4-3200

Arctis Pro Wireless headset

Lenovo please help us. 

Options

10 Posts

06-06-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 30 of 42

2021-10-13, 22:49 PM

The issue still persists. **bleep** Lenovo, do something about it. Even if it's related to other hardware vendors, work with them to make a fix available ASAP.

This is your flagship model. Make it a priority.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)