Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

06-01-2016

United States of America

22 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Legion 7i USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Docking Options

2021-04-08, 7:24 AM

I'm confused when it comes to how to use the ThunderBolt 3 port on my Lenovo Legion 7i. I want to be able to use it to connect to a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 dock (confused about the difference), but most of the docks I am looking at say they allow 85-100W of charging through the tb3 port. I know the Legion 7i does not support charging via USB-C, but if I connect it to the TB3 port, will I be accidentally damaging my motherboard or my laptop in general?

Or does anyone know of any docks that'll support a dual 4K@60hz display setup? I have everything connected to my laptop atm, but I want to be able to just use the dock instead to minimize wires connecting to the laptop as much as possible, so I can just close the screen and vertically mount it.

Options

2095 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

228 Signins

10741 Page Views

• Views: 10741
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Lenovo Legion 7i USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Docking Options

2021-04-08, 8:30 AM

Hi DuxInfernum,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

When connecting a dock to the UBS-C / TB3 port, you'll benefit from the bandwidth from the port if the device does not support being charged through it, as there is no handshake between the dock and the computer to allow it, and there will be no harm done to the computer.

However, the Legion 7 (Machine Type:  82N6, 81YU, 81YT) does not show any compatible docking stations on SmartFind. So I can not guarantee that any will work or be fully compatible with the device.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

22 Posts

06-01-2016

United States of America

22 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Lenovo Legion 7i USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Docking Options

2021-04-08, 21:30 PM

Hi Voithos,

Do you know how I can physically check compatibility with the device? Will I have to just buy a dock and test it out?

Thanks for the quick reply,

Dux

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms