Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
admin0flife
Paper Tape
Views: 105
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Legion Legion Y520 - HDMI Downscales

Lenovo Legion Legion Y520  running windows 10

I am connected to a Sony TV by HDMI.  When I use the TV as the only display or as an extended display the image is downscaled to 720p.  If I clone the display from my laptop it will render full 1080p.

All of the settings I can find appear to be correct.  The laptop says that it is displaying 1920x1080.  I would like to get the TV to work as primary display.  I know it is not the TV.  It can display the cloned desktop and works properly for game consoles also using HDMI.  I have tried using different HDMI ports on the TV.

Lenovo Employee Keson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 60
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Legion Legion Y520 - HDMI Downscales

Hi admin0flife,

For new external Display device, on external mode, extend display cannot show 1080p, maybe it is a device compatibility problem. I think you can try to manually set the display resolution, hope below step can help you:

1. Open "Display settings" from right-click mouse menu on desktop.

2. click the entend display device on Display Setting.

3. Scall down and click drop-down menu of  "Display resolution" to select the appropriate resolution.

Screenshot (2).png1. Open "Display settings" from the right-click mouse menu on desktop.Screenshot (3).png2. click the entend display device on Display Setting.Screenshot (4).png3. Scall down and click the drop-down menu of "Display resolution" to select the appropriate resolution.

admin0flife
Paper Tape
Views: 46
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Legion Legion Y520 - HDMI Downscales

all windows settings are greyed out and I have to go into the intel graphics control panel to change resolution settings.

All intel graphics settings claim that it is set to 1920x1080

On closer inspection it appears that the image is getting re-scaled to 1600x900.

intel graphics have been updated

If the laptop display is the primary and it is cloned the TV displays the proper resolution.
if the tv is the primary it re-scales both screens to 1600x900.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors