Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zabik
Fanfold Paper
Views: 798
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBA CPU stuck at 0.8GHz

There has been a similar post here but it did not help me or i did something wrong: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-CPU-stuck-at-800Mhz/m-p/3981061#M1428...

My specs are:
Windows 10
intel core i5-7300HQ @2.5Ghz
Ram 16GB
SSD 256 GB
Amd Radeon rx 560

bios version: 5JCN23WW

I bought this pc recently without windows. I got the key from oecm and activeted it myself. Than i installed the new bios from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ua/de/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-y520-15ikba/80...
I did not intsall each single driver manually from the list. 

I did try to run the bios update again for the case i made something wrond, as it was said in the post before, but it said that current bios is up to date.

Overall my CPU is stuck at 0.8Ghz and does not move from it. Though there was one moment after i tried to change something in bios, since most people in the internet assumed that 0.8 GHz is because of slow mode or C-states (and i do not know what those are and could not find them in my bios). 

So after I installed the bios update I went to the bios. But my bios looks rather empty and all i could do was change AHCI to something else. After i did so, my pc could not start because it did not find "the media". So i had to enter bios once again and turn AHCI back online. After several further restarts of pc my laptop did move from 0.8GHz. Though it was jumping between 1.0Ghz to 3.5GHz at fast rates.

Even with everything closed it would jump from 1.0GHz to 1.7GHz and backwards in 5 secs. During games it would jump between 2.0Ghz and 3.5 GHz also at high rates. I did not try to enable overclocking, i do not know how to do it. Though i was satisfied for first time, since my laptop was running at proper speeds.

And now it is stuck at 0.8 GHz once again. And i am not sure when it happened since i did not check it for a while.

So any further comments on this one? Maybe a software which would allow to set CPU speeds? Or any help on finding this "slow mode"?

Thanks in advance!

zabik
Fanfold Paper
Views: 762
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBA CPU stuck at 0.8GHz

Also forgot to mention that i have set the battery to the highest efficience. 

zabik
Fanfold Paper
Views: 734
Message 3 of 4

I have gathered more information.
It seems like my "magic tricks" with ahci switch in bios was not the saver. As it seems the 0.8 Ghz stuck is pure battery load related. I need further tests to do. But as it seems, if i load my battery to 100% and keep it charging, at some point laptop switches to the 3.5 Ghz regime and stays there even if I unplug my pc.

Though if i put my pc to the sleep mode at almost uncharged battery (25%) and than start it, it will be already stuck at 0.8GHz. 

So it is probably some mode to save battery run time. And as it may be usefull while on road, I would like to see the 3.5GHz the moment it is plugged in.

Any ideas?

SeverinCzech
Paper Tape
Views: 57
Message 4 of 4

Taking out the battery will do the trick too , just remove the cover and then locate the battery , and remove one of the cables from the battery , then connect the cable back and you're good (For a month or so , then it goes back to 0,80 ghz)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors