Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SardarGabbarSin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 320
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Legion Y520 15IKBN game HEAVY lag

Hello everyone it's my first time post here , so please bear with me in case I do mistakes . 

Here goes , So I've been using my laptop for a year now , never got troubled in any sort of FPS issues in game . 

A week ago when I started my laptop and opened the game (Assassin's creed Odyssey) , my usual in-game fps is about 35-45 on medium settings and now I've been getting the fps on same range but with 2-3 seconds fps drops consecutively and after 3 seconds everything goes fine until after 6 seconds it drops to 7 fps and below , it's just unbearable .

I did almost everything 

1: Reset Windows -> Updated drivers -> still nothing 

2: Thought it might be heat sink issue , applied thermal paste , didn't work 

3: Went to service dealer , got notherboard changed , didn't work but during the time they updated windows  10 with October patch v1809 along with GENERIC Lenovo drivers 

Surprisingly benchmarked the game without any power supply connected only to find out it is running just fine , and when I plugged in the power supply constant 2-3 second drops again. 

Did a reset on the windows 10 and updated with GENERIC drivers and now when I play Shaodw of the tomb raider , game is running fine without lag spikes but when I ran ACO Game is still having constant lag , Need I reming you , ACO game was running fine since a month until the week ago, just in case anyones asked about file integrity , I had it checked and games running with lag spikes . 

--> Downloaded CoreTemp and it's showing 100C on all 4 cores (i5-7300HQ @ 2.30GHz) while running ACO but I'm not sure why it's throttling when I even got motherboard changed and no idea what should I do now . 

Is this have to do with Power supply charger cable? Or CPU Frequency ? Or Voltage discharge ???

SPECS:

->16GB Ram

->i5-7300HQ @2.50 GHz

->GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5

DrStriezi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 303
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520 15IKBN game HEAVY lag

Hey, 

I have the same issues like you, except I am using a GTX 1060. 
But since the last NVIDIA update (yesterday/today) I am facing struggles with ALL games on my Laptop (Destiny 2, The Division, Ghost War, Diablo 3 and so on) on massive FPS drops. 

Does anyone else face the same issues? Is it maybe related to the latest NVIDIA driver update? I am trying to look for a solution since hours, but haven't found any yet. 

I'd be glad, if someone could help us out. 

thanks

SardarGabbarSin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 301
Message 3 of 10

Hey thanks for the reply , 

I dunno why but Generic drivers are working for me now (just a Temporary substitute anyway), besides CPU temps throttling and stuff , I could play Tomb raider and Rainbow six siege but it's just impossible with Assassin's creed Odyssey. It's just weird . Want to get help to know more of this issue . 

DrStriezi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 289
Message 4 of 10

yeah its weird. I have seen that some other people are facing the same issues. All with massive fps drops. 

I hope that someone from Lenovo support will fix this ASAP. 

Lapjenl70
What's DOS?
Views: 284
Message 5 of 10

It is related to the latest Nvidia driver update. I went back to the driver which was released on the 26th of November and games run fine again. Must be some issue in nvidia driver update. This is not a Lenovo issue. 

SardarGabbarSin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 271
Message 6 of 10

It is related to the latest Nvidia driver update. I went back to the driver which was released on the 26th of November and games run fine again. Must be some issue in nvidia driver update. This is not a Lenovo issue.

So you think thermal throttling is due to Nvidia drivers? I never thought of that.. But I've been having this considerable lag show since before like 26th even.. that makes me wonder what's the real problem is..😥

CrysiZ
Paper Tape
Views: 267
Message 7 of 10

He's saying that Nvidia relleased a driver that is faulty.Just reinstall the previous Nvidia drivers and you'll be fine.As far as temps go,i get around 80 Celsius w/o the extreme cooling,at full load.

SardarGabbarSin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 256
Message 8 of 10

@CrysiZ wrote:

He's saying that Nvidia relleased a driver that is faulty.Just reinstall the previous Nvidia drivers and you'll be fine.As far as temps go,i get around 80 Celsius w/o the extreme cooling,at full load.

Oh hey , I understood what you were both taking about and yes

My temps are roofing through 95C in stress test on Intel Extreme tuning Utility and it's the same report on Core temp so believing it's the heatsink issue or the components somewhere around it , just gave it to the service centre once again , Hoping they would solve it , and yes drivers were downgraded to the next previous version hoping it would solve but didn't , before handing it over to them . 

Y17Tozan
What's DOS?
Views: 241
Message 9 of 10

Same problem... Last nvidia update has a problem for lenovo series laptops. Call center agent said to me, all lenovo laptops have same problem like your problem. When I open PUBG, fps is between 10-25. I don't understand this problem.
SardarGabbarSin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 215
Message 10 of 10

So , contacted the authorised service centre  and found out that the thermal paste is at fault here . It was more than what was needed and help in thermal throttling raising CPU temps. Besides faulty NVIDIA recent latest drivers ofcourse . Apparently the authorised service centre guys messed up my laptop applying excessive thermal paste in the first place . Thank you all for your time Smiley Happy

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors