Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gelehrte
Punch Card
Views: 12,333
Message 11 of 239

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520 Keyboard

Have you checked if the iron sheet covering the SODIMM modules is properly set? That worked for me. Indeed, a hardware problem, but easy to fix. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Y520-Keyboard-buttons-are-pressed-when-nearby-sur...

kolol
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,312
Message 12 of 239

Hello, i bought a lenovo y520 and i want to know that problem appear all y520? because when the laptop arrived to me i had screen problem and i needed to send back, and i dont want to send back every month, THX

rockers115
Paper Tape
Views: 12,209
Message 13 of 239

Hi there, I had the same problem and went to the service center for a change. Seems like a lot of keyboards on this laptop happens. They changed my keyboard and it's been working fine. Prolly around 2 days.

jeabcpe
Paper Tape
Views: 12,089
Message 14 of 239

Hi,

I've found this keyboard issue too. I've fixed it for now by unplug the ac adaptor from laptop and then plug it in again.

mig6004
Punch Card
Views: 11,994
Message 15 of 239

Hi! I am experiencing the exact same issue with the exact same keys here, though it occurs very randomly... I have just found a possible solution posted by Gelehrte in this thread but am hesitant to open up my laptop, worrying it will void my warranty. Perhaps Lenovo support could shed some light on this?

@Gelehrte wrote:

I found the problem. It is not what you have described but still without your suggestion I wouldn't have fixed it. Many thanks.

The depiction of the screw from the maintenance guide (the picture you have posted) is inaccurate or at least confusing. The screw is actually behind a plastic cover, which prevents it from touching the keyboard cable. The issue was actually with the improperly installed iron sheet which covers the SODIMM modules. This created a not desirable contact between the iron sheet and the pins for the keyboard on the motherboard. Probably the iron sheet was not set correctly by the technician who installed an additional SODIMM module and a SSD module. The last one wasn't even secured with a screw. The below picture shows the improperly set iron sheet cover and then the proper position of the same. 

Improperly set iron sheet cover:

https://s28.postimg.org/45ga4emj1/2017-04-09_11.07.02.jpg

Properly set iron sheet cover:

https://s22.postimg.org/xysh8rdsh/2017-04-09_11.13.00.jpg

mig6004
Punch Card
Views: 11,902
Message 16 of 239

Unfortunately the solution above does not apply to my situation as the cover is about 2mm away from the keyboard connectors and pins and is not touching them. I cannot recall this issue appearing before updating to Windows 10 designer and updating the BIOS though. Unfortunately system restore was set to off by default...

20170428_210158.png

gro
What's DOS?
Views: 11,782
Message 17 of 239

Hey guys,

Any solutions? 

It's already the third Y520 i got in the last 3 months(and it's doing it again).

I'm tierd going all the time to the lab, getting a DOA and then a new laptop which lasts almost a month.

The call center actually told me to get a DOA and go to the shop to buy another brand LT.

MartinEM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,779
Message 18 of 239

@gro wrote:

Hey guys,

Any solutions? 

It's already the third Y520 i got in the last 3 months(and it's doing it again).

I'm tierd going all the time to the lab, getting a DOA and then a new laptop which lasts almost a month.

The call center actually told me to get a DOA and go to the shop to buy another brand LT.

My laptop's keyboard was changed by the Lenovo service center and it's working fine since then. It's probably better to send it for keyboard replacement rather than the hole laptop, as this seems to be a manufacturing issue. I had to wait for about 10 days, but the issue is not present anymore.

bl8master
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,763
Message 19 of 239

I have the same problem and I sent my laptop to service. Once I get it I will tell the results but as the others who did I guess it will be a deffected keyboard. 

mig6004
Punch Card
Views: 11,685
Message 20 of 239

Perhaps some helpful info trying to figure out the issue:

When the keys [e], [g], [h], [fn], [\] and perhaps a couple more are unresponsive, pressing [e], [g], [h] and [space] gives " bn" (ex. "") as a result. Pressing these keys when the keys are properly working does not give any strange results.

The thing keeping me from sending it in for repair under warranty is not having the laptop for 2 or 3 weeks... Need it every day.

I would appreciate it if Lenovo support would actually take a look at this issue and tell us what's going on.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors