cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
degimkenan
Punch Card
Views: 1,497
Message 1 of 12

Lenovo Legion Y520:Randomly Freezing and Authorized Service Couldn't Fix It After Two Attempts

Hi,

I've been using this laptop since summer of 2017 and it worked perfectly in first couple of months. After about January 2018 it started to freeze randomly.

The laptop freezes and I have no idea what causes it(Sometimes works perfectly for hours, sometimes only 10 minutes, sometimes it even freezes in booting screen and even in bios settings) and when it freezes there is nothing to do but to press the power button long enough to force shutdown. After every solution I knew and researched on the software, I figured there must be a hardware problem so I brought it to the authorized service located in Istanbul, Turkey. They repaired it in 2 days reporting they fixed an issue on the motherboard. When I tested if it would freeze again, I saw that they didn't fix the problem, it was still freezing randomly.

I took the laptop to the service again about a week ago and they tried to repair by changing SSD and HDD with new ones. Today I got the chance to use the laptop and it still freezes. It froze once while I was trying to install Windows 10 so I had to re-install and after that it froze again some minutes ago.

What should I do? I think the service is incapable of fixing the issue and I don't think I can fix this either.

Best Regards,

Kenan Degim

degimkenan
Punch Card
Views: 1,396
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520:Randomly Freezing and Authorized Service Couldn't Fix It After Two Attempts

Hello again,

I recently found out that the laptop freezes only when it is plugged to the charger.

I didn't realize it since I almost never used it on its battery but I am pretty sure now that it does not freeze when it's running on the battery.

I hope this information means valuable for the solution

Thanks!

artior
What's DOS?
Views: 1,325
Message 3 of 12

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520:Randomly Freezing and Authorized Service Couldn't Fix It After Two Attempts

I have a same problem. Laptop freezes when AC adapter is connected. I found two solutions, that aren't solving the problem itself, but only the actual situation, leaving things running. The first action I found useful is to close the lid and then open the lid, which unfreezes. The second, less comfortable, is disconnect tha AC adapter, and connect again, time of running on battery doesn't seem to matter. I found, that HDD is working during freezed state, but processes like reactions on user actions via inputs are realized just after it unfreezes. My thought is, that it may be something wrong with power management. I think, it is software based problem, while more (post author and me :-)) of Lenovo Y530 users report this issue. Maybe something needs to change in actual version of power management driver, but those are only thoughts of an average user. Thank You forwardly to put some solution here, or eventually an information, if it will be solved with new driver versions. By the way, I'm still very satisfied with workflow on Y530, that is saving me valuable minutes. Those tiny bugs can't change.

degimkenan
Punch Card
Views: 1,282
Message 4 of 12

Those solutions did not work in my case unfortunately, nothing seems to unfreeze my system.

Is power management something related to Windows 10 only? Because I even tried Linux on my system too and it was still freezing.(Once the laptop has frozen when I was installing Windows 10 after the service changed SSD and HDD of the PC which did not help the problem at all)

Thanks a lot for sharing possible solutions with me!
pitprok
Paper Tape
Views: 1,236
Message 5 of 12

Same problem here, unfreezes when closing the lid or unplugging the power cord

degimkenan
Punch Card
Views: 1,188
Message 6 of 12

Does it unfreeze immediately after you unplug the power cord or close-reopen the lid?
pitprok
Paper Tape
Views: 1,174
Message 7 of 12

Yes, immediately

Aybars_m
Paper Tape
Views: 920
Message 8 of 12

Is this problem fixed ?

degimkenan
Punch Card
Views: 916
Message 9 of 12

Nope, it's not fixed. Couldn't even find a temporary solution.

artior
What's DOS?
Views: 915
Message 10 of 12

I think, that it isn't fixed, trying to find the solution somewhere. My machine is still freezing sometimes, and sometimes more often during a day. For me, the symptom can be passed out by simply closing and reopening the lid almost immediately. My thoughts about the cause of freeze is focused to the graphic card, maybe the software part only (drivers). Some say, it's freezing when nVidia drivers are pending to update, so updating the drivers every time the new version is available is maybe the fix of symptom. Some say it's Chrome causing it. Still nowhere on net the cause of freeze is revealed and no solution or fix is found on my side. Hope it will be ok soon. It's annoying a little bit. :-) Still it's better, when that lid close open exercise works as solution, some say, they must even put to sleep and wake it up. Or disconnect adapter and reconnect, tough work :-) I can be lucky :-)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors