Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dapegon
Paper Tape
Views: 2,628
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Legion Y520 and Thinkpad USB-C docking station

Good morning.

I have recently adquired a Y520 for personal use and and thinkpad usb-c docking station for connectivity purpouses. 

I had not problem with monitor, keyboard/mouse or ethernet ports, but I notice that the docking station does not supply power to the laptop, nor the power button switch it on/off.

I have tried to update both the docking firmware and the laptop driver, but I still have not found a solution. 

Is my goal possible? I am not sure if there is some kind of incompatibility between these devices or just a hardware issue (and so, I should ask for a replacement).

Regards.

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 2,604
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Legion Y520 and Thinkpad USB-C docking station

The Y520 does not support power delivery over usb type-c. So you will not be able to power the notebook through it.

The reason behind this is that USB Type-C power delivery is capped at 100W. The Legion Y520 and other powerful notebooks like the ThinkPad P series do not support getting powered by USB Type-C. They come with 135-170W power supplies. This is why they need a dedicated power solution.

I think the power button not working has to do with the same fact. As the notebook is not powered by the dock, the button on the dock cannot control if the notebook is on or off. 

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
AM_Y520
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,603
Message 3 of 6

Good morning

the USB-C on the Y520 doesn't support power features like charging the laptop, it's only for data transfer
dapegon
Paper Tape
Views: 2,583
Message 4 of 6

Ouch.... Ok, I see.

I really apreciate that info. It is sad, but that is the way it is.

Thank you very much, you save me a lot of time.

Regards.

Jansor89
Paper Tape
Views: 2,165
Message 5 of 6

Hi

Sorry for kinda off-topic, but what docking do you use for your Y520? Where did you find the drivers? I'm having issues using the USB-C on mine

Thanks

Jay

Kionstan
What's DOS?
Views: 1,203
Message 6 of 6

OK, I see, no power through USB-C in Y-520. But, could I use the laptop power supply and connecting the rest (monitor, mouse, Ethernet, etc.) using a conventional USB-C docking station?

Thanks and regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors