Hungary

129 Signins

691 Page Views

• Views: 691
  • Message 1 of 221

Lenovo Legion Y530 Battery Issue

2019-09-03, 19:02 PM

Hello everyone, 

So a few days ago I was checking for updates in Lenovo Vantage, and I saw that there was a battery firmware update for my laptop. I tried to download and install it but it failed for some reason. I said ok to myself, not a big deal, it might work later.

But today when I turned on my laptop, I saw that the battery is not working at all. I checked in Vantage to see what is going on and it was a 100% charged and in good condition, however it still did not work. If I disconnect the adapter, the laptop shuts down immediately. I was looking for solutions, then I found that there is a new battery firmware update for my Legion Y530 that came out yesterday, 2nd September.

I downloaded it, tried to update the firmware but an error occured once again, and it couldn't complete the update. The error was: "The tool was unable to update the battery firmware due to an internal error." So I can't update it, neither through Lenovo Vantage, nor through this battery firmware update tool. I feel hopeless because I don't know what causes this issue, and the laptop worked just fine yesterday. Is it possible that my battery just died, and it doesn't work anymore? Or is it a software related issue or something?

Another strange thing is that I was playing for a short amount of time today and in the middle of it, suddenly the device just shut down completely, which has never happened before. Plus I ran a hardware scan in Lenovo Vantage and I got a PCI Express error as well. Since I am not an expert, I don't know if these problems are related or not, or what might cause them, but I have no clue what to do now.

That is why I'm writing to you right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Options

957 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

518 Signins

6591 Page Views

• Views: 6591
  • Message 2 of 221

Re: Lenovo Legion Y530 Battery Issue

2019-09-03, 20:05 PM
The battery may have happened to die at that time, but that's not likely.

It seems like a lot of firmware issues happened, best recommendation would be reinstalling Windows (back up your data! And make sure not to choose the reset option that allows for the saving of personal data).

If you don't want to plunge into that immediately:

1. Make sure you've already tried restarting

2. Open up the back panel and make sure that the battery is properly connected to the mother board (if it is, disconnect and then reconnect).

Let me know what happens.
Options

5 Posts

12-21-2018

Portugal

9 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 3 of 221

2019-09-03, 21:23 PM

Hello,

Same happened to me. Lenovo Vantage updates gave error on battery firmware, then after awhile the a pop-up of firmware tool appear telling its about to install an update same error, today i just found that only connected to AC the laptop works, and lenovo vantage shows battery as good and at 100%.

Some soft/firmware damage the battery, not anything else.

BR,

C

Options

22 Posts

09-03-2019

Hungary

129 Signins

691 Page Views

• Message 4 of 221

2019-09-03, 21:23 PM

First of all, thank you for your advice.

Windows reinstall would be a reasonable solution, but at this point, I don't want to do that immediately if there might be another possible way to fix it.

I was thinking about the fact too that the battery might not be connected properly, even though I find it quite unlikely, since I barely move the laptop, it just sits on the table. I mean, sometimes I use it without the power cable plugged in, and I just use the battery, and when it gets low, I reconnect the adapter. I don't know if that is proper usage or not.

A few things that I can see which may help is that on my taskbar, the battery icon is empty like it is at 0%, but when I hover over with my cursor, it says that 255% is available, which is obviously bad. Plus the Lenovo Vantage toolbar that shows the battery has a red X on it instead of the percentage. I don't know if this means that the battery is not plugged in correctly. Furthermore, the laptop's power up button is flashing white, and at the back, where the adapter connects, it flashes red quickly. These might give hints about the possible problem but I am clueless. Is it possible that the battery won't work until I have that new firmware installed? Or that is what causes the problem in the first place?

I would open up the back panel as well to check the battery, but since I'm not an expert, and it is quite hard to disconnect the battery (I tried it once, but I couldn't do it, I was afraid that I would do some harm) I don't want to cause even more trouble.

I hope this additional information can help to find a solution. I just still don't know if this is hardware or software related.

Options

957 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

518 Signins

6591 Page Views

• Message 5 of 221

2019-09-03, 21:27 PM
I still recommend opening it up. Even if properly connected, disconnect and reconnect it.

Plugging and unplugging the battery at 0:52 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHfPc9fOlI

It's a simple cable and you shouldn't have to touch the actual battery. Do be careful though and obviously don't do anything you're not comfortable with.

If the laptop is still in warranty, you can take it to a GeekSquad or send it to Lenovo to check out the issue for you.
Options

5 Posts

12-21-2018

Portugal

9 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 6 of 221

2019-09-03, 21:31 PM

Exactly the same simptoms. Opening the laptop and try to do something not good idea for me, laptop still in warranty and seems not a easy task with high risk of damage other components.

Re-installing windows seems as well a drastic solution and if its firmware of battery windows probably will not update it.

BR,

C

Options

957 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

518 Signins

6591 Page Views

• Message 7 of 221

2019-09-03, 21:36 PM
Firmware is a broad term. It won't touch the BIOS, but any battery-related firmware will be replaced.
Options

22 Posts

09-03-2019

Hungary

129 Signins

691 Page Views

• Message 8 of 221

2019-09-04, 10:55 AM

Yeah, I will definitely try to do something about it, but unfortunately, I work on my laptop, so I don't really have the time to check it at the moment. Hopefully, the issue will be resolved somehow.

Options

61 Posts

08-27-2019

Egypt

80 Signins

871 Page Views

• Views: 871
  • Message 9 of 221

2019-09-04, 13:38 PM

I saw a few people reporting this issue in the past couple of days, so it seems that lenovo screwed up on the firmware update somehow.

I'd recommend you try to send it for repair, if not possible you may have to wait till they have a fix unfortunately. 

Options

22 Posts

09-03-2019

Hungary

129 Signins

691 Page Views

• Message 10 of 221

2019-09-04, 22:24 PM

At least that would be somewhat positive, if we were to find out that Lenovo messed up something. However I suspect that it still might be that my battery is not working properly because I went into the BIOS, then I disconnected the power cable, and the laptop just shut down. From this, I am guessing that the issue might not be Windows or firmware related, but rather the battery is faulty, so a Windows reinstall would not be a solution. Do you guys think that might be the case? Or am I still missing something?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms