cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpt_midnight
Paper Tape
Views: 2,681
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Legion Y530 fan noise and return?

Just had this laptop delivered to me three days ago and already having this fan noise issue, which can't be fixed on my end it seems.

Looked it up and it seems this issue is quite common for this model, many users had posted their issues on Lenovo forum and other websites, most of them have the same issues as mine: the fan spins up fast and loudly every few minutes even though with light tasks such as web browsing and using microsoft word, or even in idle. I wasn't even doing any multi tasks or gaming.

Following suggestions by some owners, I have changed system cooling policy to passive and disabled performance boost mode, and changed the maximum processor state to 90%, which slows down the core speed. And it seems to decrease how frequent the fan spins but after browsing the web or watching youtube for more than half to one hour it goes back at it again.

My model comes with I5 – 8300H and GTX 1050TI, 8GB 2400mhz ram and M.2 128GB ssd.

I've called the support and requested a return for a new replacement, and would like to ask anyone who had returned their Lenovo laptops before, how long until they send someone to pick your unit up and how long they need to process the return and send you a new one? I'm from Australia and need a new unit urgently for work and can't wait for more than one week. And do they send their replacements from China like their new units? That's where mine was shipped from and it took 2 weeks to arrive. The stuff talked to me on the phone indicated that I tell the guy who's gonna collect my faulty laptop that I need it urgently so they will likely to speed up the process, is that ture?

Anyone with past experiences with Lenovo returns please share your experience, many thanks.

ZMFong
Token Ring
Views: 2,646
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Legion Y530 fan noise and return?

These are what I did: Undervolt CPU, set lower turbo speed and higher SpeedShift in light loads. Works well for me. Mind you, ambient temp here is around 30C while the fan will kick in at around 55C. If you want, do a repaste (I did it).

I don't think a replacement will eliminate this issue since the fan control of Y530 isn't great in idle/light loads. Still, I prefer the fans to spin up in light loads for lower CPU temp instead of silent and cooking the CPU

Laptop enthusiast and recommender from LTT forum
I own a Legion Y530.
cpt_midnight
Paper Tape
Views: 2,636
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for replying, but doesn't undervolt slows down the processing speed and it it safe to meddle with the cpu in this way?  Cheers.

802.11n
Views: 2,611
Message 4 of 9

Nope ,That is not  the only way ,and that way is no a solution for a gaming laptop ,IF a gaming desktop - maybe,but for a Laptop - NOT.IF you really dont like the noise sound,Yes request a return ,that what I'm doing for now (waiting for reply by Lenovo Team)

I have try any best soft solution for this model ,it is hardware issue .IF you really don't like ,RETURN it by you right!
pubg.jpgIMG_20181007_033959.jpg
Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

Y530 1050TI 144hz 2666Mhz RAM 128 M.2 SSD

I am currently waiting for Lenovo's technical staff.Smiley Happy

Game:
MHW - problem with graphics
All suggestions from the technician have been tried. In last, I replaced my 1050Ti graphics card driver with my own method.
( And problem still exists, testing all the drivers from March to October)

PUBG: Crash and real-time RAM usage exceeds 90%
The game time is more than 500 hours. I first discovered that 8GB RAM is not enough for PUBG operation, but my other notebooks can run smoothly.

FFXV -A New GameSmiley Happy

The noise of the fan will only become more frequent and louder over time.

Android Roadmap
https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht101396
https://support.lenovo.com/

ZMFong
Token Ring
Views: 2,587
Message 5 of 9

@cpt_midnight wrote:

Thanks for replying, but doesn't undervolt slows down the processing speed and it it safe to meddle with the cpu in this way?  Cheers.

Nope

I own a Legion Y530.
Highlighted
cpt_midnight
Paper Tape
Views: 2,523
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for replying, it seems the issue in your laptop is even worse than mine.  I had requested a return and been told a team representive would email me in three days.

After reading your reply I tried to play Diablo III on my laptop, which is not a graphic demanding game, but the moment I opened the game the fan kicks in like crazy, and didn't stop for one second.  After 15 mins the noise is so loud I had to exit the game.  Took nearly 1 minute for the fan to slow/quiet down.

This is unacceptable, I didn't even have this issue on my old E570P which was an older model.  I just hope the new replacement Lenovo is going to send me doesn't has this issue or I'm going to have to return it again and get a refund.

cpt_midnight
Paper Tape
Views: 2,522
Message 7 of 9

So the fan issue was solved after you repaste the cpu, or is it just improved a bit?

I don't know how to open the back of a laptop and apply thermal paste on a cpu, and don't want to risk damaging anything which would violate the warranty.  If possible, could you make a video of the repasting process and upload it onto youtube?  That would help a lot of Y530 users.

Cheers.

karabatich
What's DOS?
Views: 1,464
Message 8 of 9

Hello All, 

idon't know if you found any solution for your problem, i faced the same issue with my Lenovo Y530.

after just 3 days of using it, it was strange that the fans suddenly blast noise for like 2-3 min even if the room is cool. 

INFACT it was just me tapping Fn+A buttons in the same time, which "apparently launch the turbo FAN mode".

So you just need to tape it again or also you can do that by typping Ctrl+Shift+1

For me this is the best - not tooo gamy - looking Laptop so far. (of course comparing to  the price/quality rate it gaves.

ZMFong
Token Ring
Views: 1,350
Message 9 of 9

@cpt_midnight wrote:

So the fan issue was solved after you repaste the cpu, or is it just improved a bit?

I don't know how to open the back of a laptop and apply thermal paste on a cpu, and don't want to risk damaging anything which would violate the warranty.  If possible, could you make a video of the repasting process and upload it onto youtube?  That would help a lot of Y530 users.

Cheers.

Yes CPU temp improved noticeably. However now I'm experiencing thermal paste drying out issue (cause still unknown)

I will consider doing a video but my skill sucks haha

I own a Legion Y530.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors