Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UndercoverBossk
Paper Tape
Views: 879
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Legion Y530 stuck in recovery loop after battery drain

Hello, 

I have had the following happen to 2 different Lenovo Legion Y530 laptops in the last week.

For the first laptop it was accidentally allowed to run down to zero.

For the second laptop it was intentially run down to zero to try to recreate this problem.  Unfortunately it succeeded.

Here are the steps:

Laptop runs down to zero and shuts off.  When plugged in, on power on, states laptop was not powered down normally and then brings up Recovery screen (blue screen).  Claims missing or errors in iaStorAC.sys.  The first laptop problem claimed HAL.dll was missing or corrupt.

From the blue screen, most options lead back to this recovery screen.  Only the BIOS options goes elsewhere. 

From the novo button, I've tried:

- System Recovery - appears to work but returns to Recovery screen.

- Restore from Restore point (after booting from USB) - claims it works (after some hd repair) and then returns to Recovery screen.

- From command line, repairing the boot config data (ran into permission errors on some commands) - no success.

I called Lenovo support and after verifying that the harddrive was still recognized by the bios, had me attempt System Recovery from the novo menu.  When that failed, claimed it was a hardware issue and needed to be sent in for repair.  Seems unlikely it would be the same hardware problem on 2 separate laptops.  It seems related to the power down corrupting the boot files.

From the recent reviews at Bestbuy, this seems to be a recent problem with this machine.  Perhaps a windows update, or bios update on this laptop?   It seems to be related to the power down.

More details on the laptop:

Lenovo - Legion Y530 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - 1TB 7200 Hard Drive.

Also has the Intel Optane 16GB memory to aid the HDD (might this be the problem?)

We really love this laptop, even after only 1 week, and would like to find a solution before needing to return it to BB.

Any ideas on what to try next?  Thanks. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 853
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Legion Y530 stuck in recovery loop after battery drain

Hey UndercoverBossk,

Thanks so much for posting your specs! That really helps.

Indeed, I am leaning towards it being an issue with the Optane module. I was going to ask if you had a SSHD, because similar corruption is feasible.

Unfortunately, my build does not have Optane, so I'm blindly guessing here. Can you have a look in the BIOS and see if the below settings are visible? https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht504146

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
UndercoverBossk
Paper Tape
Views: 842
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for responding.  Yes I have the setting that allows me to turn off the Optane memory.   I started down that path but the warning on it taking hours made me hestitate.   Might turning it off break me out of the loop, or is the damage done in this OS install.   I feel like I am doing the right things but something is not resetting the bit to stop the system from thinking there is still an error.

I was able to rebuild the BCD but it did not help escape the Recovery loop.  Still complains about the same file missing/corrupted.

UndercoverBossk
Paper Tape
Views: 795
Message 4 of 6

So at the moment I am thinking I will turn off Optane memory.  I am hoping this will allow me to do a System Restore from the Novo menu.   And then turn Optane back on.   Anyone think this will help?

What is the difference between turning off Optane in the BIOS and simply switching from RST to AHCI?

I also noticed a BIOS update from early August, but the description doesn't include anything on Optane.  The laptop was manufactured in late July 2018.

UndercoverBossk
Paper Tape
Views: 811
Message 5 of 6

My current plan is to turn off Optane memory through the BIOS and attempt a System Recovery.

If that works I will apply a recent BIOS update and reenable Optane.   Anyone have any experience in disabling Optane on a pre-configured laptop?   Hopefully disabling Optane doesn't require a install of Win10.

What is the different between disabling Optane and simply switching from RST to AHCI?   From what I read, disabling might clear the association with the mechanical harddrive.   Might simply switching to AHCI and attempting a System Recovery work?

UndercoverBossk
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 6 of 6

Any final words of warning before I disble Optane tomorrow?   

The best buy reviews are full of similar issues of the laptop failing after <week.  Wonder if it's a bad batch sent to best buy or if the Optane configuration is only common in the BB version of the Legion.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors