Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

06-08-2021

Turkey

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH' keyboard doesnt work

2021-06-08, 17:48 PM

Hello everyone before i start i would like to say i have been searching for this problem for weeks and i did find some solutions but they only work once after i restart my pc it stops working again.

so the whole thing started whilei was trying to set up virtualbox after i got everything working i closed my pc and when i opened it again my keyboard stopped working and it only works if do one of these solutions:

• reseting the windows
  • draining battery by unplugging the laptop and waiting for it to shut down
  • holding the power button for 30 seconds then opening it back up

oh and i when i deleted the kali linux my keyboard started to work but it stopped working after sometime. i even wiped my whole pc.

(sorry for my bad grammer i suck at english)

Options

4457 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

671 Signins

29345 Page Views

• Views: 29345
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH' keyboard doesnt work

2021-06-08, 20:09 PM

Hello @Cem_,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Kindly try uninstalling the keyboard drivers from the device manager.

Rebooting the machine after uninstalling the drivers should reinstall it automatically.

However I was also able to see this behavior with a few other machines that use virtual machines on the laptops.

This is due to the virtual machine/remote session not establishing control of the keyboard back to the machine once use of the virtual machine/remote session has ended.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

8 Posts

06-14-2021

Germany

8 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 3 of 7

2021-06-15, 12:28 PM

I had the same problem. Keyboard stopped working for no reason except the buttons for changing keyboard and display light. I sent it in for repair during warranty and they built in a completely new keyboard including the plastic cover around it. Dont know about the touchpad. I thought at first it was a software problem. Either they couldnt solve the software problem or it was indeed a hardware problem so they had to replace it.

Also they reset my pc, so I actually can't tell if it is a software or hardware issue.

Before sending it in I also tried the battery drainage thing and the driver uninstall but nothing worked.

Options

4457 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

671 Signins

29345 Page Views

• Views: 29345
  • Message 4 of 7

2021-06-15, 21:07 PM

Hello @hehexd420,

Thanks for sharing the solution you've tried on your machine.

I'm sure other members will find this information very useful.

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

48 Posts

06-10-2021

India

57 Signins

620 Page Views

• Views: 620
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-06-16, 17:37 PM

@ hehexd420 wrote:

I had the same problem. Keyboard stopped working for no reason except the buttons for changing keyboard and display light. I sent it in for repair during warranty and they built in a completely new keyboard including the plastic cover around it. Dont know about the touchpad. I thought at first it was a software problem. Either they couldnt solve the software problem or it was indeed a hardware problem so they had to replace it.

Also they reset my pc, so I actually can' tell if it is a software or hardware issue.

Before sending it in I also tried the battery drainage thing and the driver uninstall but nothing worked.

So many Y540 owners reporting exactly the same issue? How is this normal? How do so many people have exactly the same hardware failure? Mine failed after a firmware update. Others have reported this to to happen after a firmware update as well. Doesn't that mean it was a corrupt firmware flash that killed the keyboards? Who should be held responsible for all this mess? Lenovo support staff if you can read this, can you please get in touch with the developers and arrange the previous firmware for us to at least verify if it really is a hardware or a firmware issue? Getting out of the house for repairs is out of question in these times when the whole world is battling COVID-19. Living with a dead keyboard is still easier than being dead yourself and living in a graveyard.

Options

3628 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2555 Signins

40374 Page Views

• Views: 40374
  • Message 6 of 7

2021-06-16, 17:54 PM

Hey, sorry for the problem you are facing.

What I can recommend is that while Lenovo works on this problem, you can purchase an external keyboard and use it with the laptop. There are some issues that are not easily reproducible and while it may look like that your issue is the same as others, it may have differences.

Keyboard failure can be due to numerous reasons, such as , in your case the VM not releasing control and hence it looks like disabled. My keyboard (on another laptop) just failed and stopped working completely, it needed a replacement.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

48 Posts

06-10-2021

India

57 Signins

620 Page Views

• Views: 620
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-06-16, 21:37 PM

@ rockykoston wrote:

Hey, sorry for the problem you are facing.

What I can recommend is that while Lenovo works on this problem, you can purchase an external keyboard and use it with the laptop. There are some issues that are not easily reproducible and while it may look like that your issue is the same as others, it may have differences.

Keyboard failure can be due to numerous reasons, such as , in your case the VM not releasing control and hence it looks like disabled. My keyboard (on another laptop) just failed and stopped working completely, it needed a replacement.

Mine has 'device descriptor/enumeration failed'  error when the keyboard turns up dead upon booting. This is the same error many others have reported. This is the reason why the flash tool cannot find the device since it looks for a specific PID and VID which is not available once the device enumeration fails. What is strange here is that when you force restart, i.e. hold down the power button for about 20-30 seconds and reboot, the keyboard enumerates successfully and works as it should without errors as long as you do not restart the computer. The keyboard controller is ElanTech ITE 8910 which has been a problematic device according to some sources on the internet.  Attaching a screenshot about the keyboard controller from one of the Github Repos here if this can help the developers dig deeper.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms