Options

4 Posts

07-29-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Legion Y720: HDD Missing/Failure?

2018-07-29, 23:07 PM

I have had this Y720 for over a year and the HDD is acting strange. My GF plays the Sims on it and all games are on the HDD drive instead of the SSD. However, the HDD appears to "disconnect" from the motherboard/system completely and intermittently.

I noticed this when a game froze to the point where it had to be shut down. Upon boot, Origin did not find any file paths for game installations, which I thought was odd. I opened Windows Explorer and the drive is missing completely. It will show up minutes later, but it sometimes goes in and out.

I've run HDD health diagnostic software and it shows green across the board.  I removed the casing underneath and made sure the drive and its cables were secure. No real fix. This makes the drive regrettably unusable, especially if game data needs to be read from it repeatedly. I'm putting off purchasing another hard drive to see if there are any fixes out there. I've seen this come up in a thread once before, but the user only sent in the laptop for RMA/warranty, which I do not have any more for this machine. I don't know if it is the SATA cable connector or something more internal.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Options

12623 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7219 Signins

748169 Page Views

• Views: 748169
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Legion Y720: HDD Missing/Failure?

2018-07-30, 12:52 PM

Hi askubs94,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Ideally, it would be best to back up your files first.

I suggest you try another harddrive even if the diagnostics are all green since the issue is intermittent. Then isolating it via known good cable to try after.

Update us how it best for you.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

07-29-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2018-07-30, 17:46 PM

Okay, I will attempt that. I have a second 2.5 inch drive that I found that I will use. For the SATA cable, is it an OEM product that I will need to purchase in order to help isolate the issue?

Options

12623 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7219 Signins

748169 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2018-07-30, 18:00 PM

Hi askubs94,

Greetings.

You can also have the original hdd checked on another computer and see if it does the same freezing. 

The cable maybe OEM specifics so it would serve us better to check the drives first. 

Here is the article guide in looking for Lenovo part number and how to order if needed.

Regards

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

07-29-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2018-07-31, 17:50 PM

I swapped out the HDD with my older laptop one after formatting it. So far, so good - no stutter, but this problem didn't arise for over a year so I will still keep a close eye on it. 

Options

12623 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7219 Signins

748169 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2018-08-01, 15:58 PM

Hi askubs94,

Greetings.

Good that it now works with the old harddrive. You can test the integrity of the original drive on another machine too and confirm if any SMART test failure shows up without waiting for a year.

You may also consider upgrading to a solid state drive instead of the spinner platter that traditional harddrive have. They would have more lifetime and much durable since they would not have moving parts.

Update us how it goes.

Regards

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms