01-19-2019

PH

11 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Legion y730 0% (Not Charging)

2019-01-19, 3:52 AM

So i bought a Lenovo legion y730 that I just got last month. I bought it from the states and my uncle brought it back home to the philippines. I've been playing with it a lot the first few days when i got it. Last week, I noticed that my battery wasn't charging up to 100%. Normally staying 'til 92% then it'd reach 95% after an hour or so of charging. So i searched some tips online saying that i'll have to drain the battery out, then charge it, then drain it again. I didn't exactly had the patience to do this without using the laptop, so i tweaked the settings to 'shut down' at critical and low battery levels, rather than hibernate. I also tweaked the battery percentages.

Moving on, under the current settings, my laptop would just immediately shut down at the 10% or 7% of battery. It wouldn't turn on unless I put my ac adapter with it. This happened a few times already and it didn't still charge until 100%, so i just continued doing this 'til yesterday. After draining the battery out last night, I just charged my laptop for around 4 to 5 hours and went to sleep. Today, i woke up with my laptop not charging my battery AT ALL! It's plugged in the adapter, but it's saying that my the battery is 'Not Charging'. I also noticed that when I plug in the adapter, the charging indicator (orange light) blinks 4 times and then a short pause before a stable orange light. Tried searching online for the things that i could do to fix it like
1) uninstalling the drivers under the battery category from 'Device Manager', (automatically shutting the laptop down and getting myself a new update once it got it boot up
2) updating the bios and loading the defaults (Can't fully update bios because my battery has to be at least 30%. But I'm stuck at 0%)
3) updating lenovo power management.
4) Opening it up, taking out the battery and booting it up again without the battery. I got to check out my power options and lenovo vantage and acknowledging that there is no battery attached. I then place back my battery, but still, my laptop still says 'Not Charging'.

Can somebody help me? I'm willing to find a replacement for this battery, but it's just hard to find a replacement (and it's gonna be expensive). I'm trying to figure out if this battery can be still of use. Thank you!

P.S. I'm pretty sure my IWS won't cover this, but so I'm willing to pay some extra. I doubt however that the lenovo services here in the philippines have a battery replacement for this model. As u can see in the picture below, it doesn't have the reset gauge button as well

For anyone wondering what my battery is. It is a L173PG2 3ICP6/54/90 4820mAh battery. Pictures below (I took a screenshot of the battery disassembled online, but this isn't my laptop. It just has same exact battery that I have when i took out mine)

Options

12428 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7164 Signins

745594 Page Views

• Views: 745594
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Legion y730 0% (Not Charging)

2019-01-21, 13:11 PM

Hi Sollanorific,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I would expect initially that the battery would not reach 100% due to the firmware that prevent this. It was meant to protect the machine and the battery from overcharging which is a common cause of shorten battery life (overcharging and battery draining).

Power drain in effect is meant not to fix battery issue per se but reset Windows calibration to be accurate. It is not to be done often (causing decrease battery life due to exhausted recharge cycles).

Go to the device manager and uninstall the battery driver (Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery). and turn off the machine. You can allow it to cool down a bit then have it plugged in with the charger without turning it on. 

Notice the battery led from solid amber and wait for more hours until those led change to solid white and unplug it. Turn on the machine to observe.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Update us how it goes.

Regards 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

01-19-2019

PH

11 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 3 of 5

2019-01-31, 14:42 PM

Good evening, mr. spidey!

My apologies for sending my response so late, but sadly the method u recommended me to do did not work even after several tries on different days. I did notice though, that my laptop does not go crazy after uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, however upon turning on the next day, my laptop initially starts slow and would take around 20 to 30 minutes before I get to use it normally again (other than the fact that the battery is appeared as "plugged in, not charging" as it was before.

Do you have any recommendations on how I can make it to work again? I'm looking forward to it, because it appears that a battery replacement here would already cost me around 120 US dollars, and it's kind of discouraging.

P.S. As it was before, whenever I plug in the adapter to the laptop, the orange light (at the back of the laptop for the adapter) blinks around 3 to 4 times following a pause and a fast blink. It then follows another pause, a longer one (around 5 seconds) and then lights up the orange light continuously.

Options

12428 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7164 Signins

745594 Page Views

• Views: 745594
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-01-31, 14:57 PM

Hi Sollanorific,

Greetings.

The driver refresh is for battery software issue but we are yet to consider probable hardware issue with it.

If the battery led did not change from blinking amber to white without turning on the machine and just plugging it for 3-4 hours, then there is likelyhood that we have a battery issue.

You can try contacting the local Lenovo service center for options other than sending it back to the US. International warranty for the model do have Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan that may be able to cover it. 

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

39 Posts

02-22-2020

US

27 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 5 of 5

Re:Lenovo Legion y730 0% (Not Charging)

2020-02-27, 19:44 PM
Does voltage decrease on battery power and voltage increase on power adapter charging? Please check in lenovo vantage battary section. Mine is 13.19V on power adapter charging mode and decrease to 10.6 on battery mode. Is it normal or any defect?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms