Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HellBouy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,027
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Y520 GPU Power limit throttling

Hello,

i'm the owner of a Lenovo Y520 i5 7300HQ and 1060 6GO Max Q design.

I'm experiencing power throttling on the GPU => it does not consume more than 60w (average). That's mean that while gaming, when the frequency is at its maximum (1671 stock, or 1900 with OC), the GPU use will not exceed 50%. 

With a GPU stress test, when the GPU is forced at 100% use, the frequency is reduced to 1000mhz.

With this limitation, GPU's temperature does not exceed 60°c, which is pretty low for a laptop. 

For information, my CPU is undervolt (-0.13v) and not throttling (100%, 3.1ghz full time).

My bios version is 5XCN22WW from 02/23/2018.

Does someone know if this limit has been upgraded with new bios or if there is a way to avoid this limit ?

Thank you for your help !

LegionY
Serial Port
Views: 1,994
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y520 GPU Power limit throttling

lol we have the same problem but its not an issue to fix

i've posted the same question with a different subject

the Max-Q versions of pascal GPUs are always going to power throttle since that's the point of them. keeping them at a significantly lower TDP to ensure that they work in thin & lights with limited thermal headroom at the cost of performance. So the behaviour you're seeing isn't out of the ordinary.

It doesn't really matter what temperature it's running at, since the point of the Max-Q design is to limit power. It should never get to the point where it thermal throttles.

check out my posts:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Flashing-1060-vBIOS-onto-1060-Max-Q-Upgrade-GPU-INTO-REG...

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/apbmch/flashing_1060m_vbios_onto_1060m_maxq_upgrade_g...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mobile-pascal-tdp-tweaker-update-and-feedback-thread.806161/...

HellBouy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,986
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your answer.

Well, that's pretty annoying since the y520's design can handle more power, even more with undervolting...

What a shame !

Did you succeed in flashing unofficial bios to unlock the Max Q into a regular 1060 ?

LegionY
Serial Port
Views: 1,980
Message 4 of 9

Nope

i don't have a hardware programmer and i'm not expert enough on laptop motherboard things

also i'm not planning to messing with my laptop that results ended by a dead gpu Smiley Very Happy

the problem is even if everything be ok and we flash the video bios to bypass the powerlimit

we still dont know anything about VRM of the board itself

is it good enough to handle the increased TDP ? or it's not enough and it might cause the whole motherboard to die actually

i dont know the manufactorer of the gpu so i'm stucked at this point and not gonna take the risk for it.

actually when i thinking about it it's not really worth it cause its just increase about what ? 5%~10% more fps ?

not worth the risk for it

i've already achieved the same performance as regular 1060M with afterburner (i've compared it actually and after overclock it has the same fps but just with different core clocks and TDP (maybe just 1~3 less fps ?)

max-q still has the same performance as mobile even with this powerlimits (that shows how much this card is powerful even with this bunch of Limitations)

in other words its like a tiger in a cageSmiley Very Happy

HellBouy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,976
Message 5 of 9

Yeah... i agree. I'm most disappointed by the uncapacity of overclocking the CPU. Buying a very good laptop in 2018 and can't even play at BF V with 60 fps because of the processor. THANKS Intel !

Btw, thanks for you answer, i'll sleep well.
LegionY
Serial Port
Views: 1,972
Message 6 of 9

Wish you could buy the 7700hq one

i think the 7300 has a bottleneck or something with 1060

i've achieved more than 70fps on max on BF V

with -0.120  cpu undervolt and +200 gpu core clock

also DX12 should be on cause dx11 has some fps drops (60 to 45~48)

HellBouy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,960
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for tip, i'll try.
Anyway, i'll sell it this automn to buy a mini ITX solution as i'm moving yearly... Ryzen 2 and Navi, no more power supply issue Smiley Wink
LegionY
Serial Port
Views: 1,957
Message 8 of 9

Happy to help and good luck buddySmiley Wink

karan44435
Paper Tape
Views: 1,869
Message 9 of 9

I too have a same laptop thanks for posting the same