Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 25 (13,836 Views)

Lenovo Y520 Keyboard buttons are pressed when nearby surface is pressed with a hand

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to understand if this issue I am having is normal for this model or if I am alone with it. Basically the issue is that when I am typing on the keyboard and sometimes press a bit harder with the right hand on certain area, random keys are being pressed. Also, holding the laptop with one hand on the impacted area causes the same issue.

Disregarding if this is typical for this model, is there a way to fix that?

ideapad-y520-gallery05.jpg

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 25 (13,697 Views)

Re: Lenovo Y520 Keyboard buttons are pressed when nearby surface is pressed with a hand

I think it has something to do with the keyboard itself, check out my youtube video, i can't press E,G,H unless i whack it really hard and from time to time it just doesn't work. Really disappointed, this set i'm using is only a few weeks old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgWUuySB504

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 3 of 25 (13,642 Views)

Re: Lenovo Y520 Keyboard buttons are pressed when nearby surface is pressed with a hand

Hey friendo, have u made any progress as to figuring out what caused this problem or a solution to fix it?

If you fixed it could u explain what u did? 

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to get this laptop as I have also had bad experiences with my old Lenovo y410p. 

Punch Card
Message 4 of 25 (13,637 Views)

[ Edited ]

No progress so far. I contacted Lenovo support in the country I am located but they could not refer me to a local repair center. Probably the warranty is not covered in this country but they couldn't even confirm that. You should note that this notebook is very sensitive. For example, if you remove the screws and still do not open it, some buttons will not work correctly. If I knew that, I would not have bought it. Not so long time ago I bought another Laptop for a friend and it came defective on arrival. We replaced it with a different brand. My Lenovo smartphone is now broken for second time for less than 1,5 years. This experience is enough for me to refrain buying any Lenovo device and it wouldn't matter how cool it would look.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 5 of 25 (13,606 Views)

[ Edited ]

Darn my previous post got deleted for embedding a picture above 100kb. Should have read the community rules. This time I have reduced the size of the embedded image and attached the full res picture. 

I'll get straight to the point this time. I found a probable cause for this keyboard problem. I did some research and looked for Lenovo keyboard problems, it turns out that metal on ribbon cables is really bad. If u look up Google for Lenovo y560 keyboard problems u can see that this was the issue with many users.

So what I did was download the manual for the y520, and carefully examine the pictures in there for the keyboard ribbon cable. Once I found the keyboard ribbon cable I immediately noticed something really peculiar.

There's a screw situated right underneath the edge of the keyboard ribbon cable. That screw looks as though it is causing the same symptom as your problem. It is on the right side of the palm rest, and maybe it protudes out just enough that when pressure is apllied the ribbon cable touches the screw.

Could u attempt to remove the cover carefully without breaking anything then remove this screw and see if it helps? I'm sorry if this doesn't help but I think this is worth a try. 

See that screw on the right edge of the ribbon cable?See that screw on the right edge of the ribbon cable?

Highlighted
Punch Card
Message 6 of 25 (13,574 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found the problem. It is not what you have described but still without your suggestion I wouldn't have fixed it. Many thanks.

The depiction of the screw from the maintenance guide (the picture you have posted) is inaccurate or at least confusing. The screw is actually behind a plastic cover, which prevents it from touching the keyboard cable. The issue was actually with the improperly installed iron sheet which covers the SODIMM modules. This created a not desirable contact between the iron sheet and the pins for the keyboard on the motherboard. Probably the iron sheet was not set correctly by the technician who installed an additional SODIMM module and a SSD module. The last one wasn't even secured with a screw. The below picture shows the improperly set iron sheet cover and then the proper position of the same. 

Improperly set iron sheet cover:

https://s28.postimg.org/45ga4emj1/2017-04-09_11.07.02.jpg

Properly set iron sheet cover:

https://s22.postimg.org/xysh8rdsh/2017-04-09_11.13.00.jpg

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 7 of 25 (13,566 Views)

Ok. Glad I could be of assistance to u. Kudos to u for figuring out the exact cause of the problem. But wow, it really boggles my mind as to what led Lenovo to think that it was a good idea to a use huge iron sheet in a spot that's most susceptible to interference.

Now that this problem is sorted out I think I will most certainly get myself a Y520 in the near future. Thanks a bunch.
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 25 (13,538 Views)

The pictures too small, blah lenovo forum, possible to make it bigger? What makes the iron sheet stay in place when you are moving the laptop around?

Punch Card
Message 9 of 25 (13,533 Views)

[ Edited ]

The iron sheet would not move once put in place correctly because there are four mechanisms for each edge of the sheet which secure it pretty good.

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 25 (12,822 Views)

Hello all

I opened account on forum just because of this problem because I have same issue with keyboard.

On startup letters E, G, H and Fn button doesnt seem to work. They come to life after few minutes... Have anybody except Gelehrte tried his fix and managed to fix it on their own?

Because I called my lenovo support in and they must file a case with Lenovo than wait for answer and bla bla procedures that long time and I cant afford having my laptop away for 1 day since it is my working laptop too.

If i open the laptop by myself, is there any sticker that come off inside that dissproves warranty? If not I want to do it myself and do it carefully in like 5 minutes of my time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion! Cheers!

Top kudoed Authors