07-12-2017 12:11 AM
Since installing a Plextor M8Pe 128 GB m.2 PCI-E Gen3x4 SSD on the Y520, I have been experiencing random stuttering and freezes in both games and general usage. Even with light tasks, such as playing music, there are random freezes with cracking / popping sounds. Both the Y520 and the SSD appear to be healthy. The Y520 did have the motherboard and display replaced under warranty and the service centre now claims there is no hardware fault. The BIOS is set to UEFI and AHCI, as the Windows 10 setup was not detecting the SSD with the default Intel RST Premium setting. Any suggestions are welcome.
07-13-2017 08:56 AM
When you installed the SSD, how did you move the OS to it?
Are you on Windows creator update?
Can you please try switching off superfetch?
07-17-2017 08:22 AM
In this scenario I can think of a couple of reasons -
1) Windows installation is somewhat corrupted.
2) Antivirus or other installed app affecting the laptop performance.
3) SSD is not fully compatible.
Possible solutions -
1) Open CMD with Admin privileges and type following command -
See if there are any errors.
2) Download any other windows version (not Creator's), install it and see if there are stutters. Windows Creators update has been causing issues as far as I have seen (on some laptops).
3) Check the Event Log in the Administrative Tools to see if there is any application or windows service generating errors.
4) Check the Task Manager , performance in MSI Afterburner to see if there are any spikes in usage.
5) Disable third party monitoring software (if they are already ON) such as MSi Afterburner, Antivirus etc.
If nothing works, then last solution would be to -
6) Return this SSD and get something that has been known to work on Y520.