Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deano12
Punch Card
Views: 930
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Y520 recommended runtime on charger without getting tired

hello guys what is the recommended max run time of lenovo y520 on charger without getting tired thanks in advance Smiley Very Happy

Guru
Views: 893
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Y520 recommended runtime on charger without getting tired

As far as my experience goes, there should be no issue if you keep running your laptop connected to charger.

If you do think that you will permanently connect your laptop to charger and use it stationary then there is an option in Lenovo Settings.

Go to Battery (under Lenovo Settings Program) and select Conservation Mode.

This should charge your battery to only 60% and keep its life longer.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Deano12
Punch Card
Views: 883
Message 3 of 7

i just wanted to know the recomended hours of opening without closing on charger Smiley Very Happy

@rockykoston wrote:

As far as my experience goes, there should be no issue if you keep running your laptop connected to charger.

If you do think that you will permanently connect your laptop to charger and use it stationary then there is an option in Lenovo Settings.

Go to Battery (under Lenovo Settings Program) and select Conservation Mode.

This should charge your battery to only 60% and keep its life longer.

i just wanted to know the recommended hours of opening the laptop on charger without closing if use it for 12 hours coz i bring  the laptop at work so i use it so long  is it fine or not recommended??
??

Guru
Views: 877
Message 4 of 7

Sorry man, I did not understand that.

Are you using the laptop on charger?

Are you using it in battery and asking about battery life?

Are you asking if using the laptop on charger will damage it?

Are you asking using the laptop on battery will damage it?

Or

Are you asking if the laptop can last for 12 hours on battery?

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Deano12
Punch Card
Views: 849
Message 5 of 7

iam using the laptop on charger and i am asking how many max hours can the laptop handle working without any problem  or damage happen to it that's my question

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 827
Message 6 of 7

There is no such limit. There's the concept of mean time between failures (MTBF) for individual components, but the numbers are very high. You should be able to run it all the time without problems, as long as the operating conditions are fine.

Laptops are engineered to last at least 24-36 months without developing major issues. This is calculated at planned usage of 4-8 hours per day. If you use it twice as much, you could expect to halve its lifetime, although this is a very conservative guess. In reality, it will be longer much longer than that before anything breaks (unless you're unlucky).

AC adapters in particular are rather reliable, their lifetime usually exceeds that of the laptop itself. If they break it's typically from power surge or overheating. Most common problems are with the DC (laptop) plug, which gets damaged or loose. So what matters here is how often you plug it in and out (also for the DC jack on the motherboard, which is an even more common point of failure). 

Every time a battery is charged or discharged, its capacity gets shorter. Constant charging and discharging puts strain on them. Batteries are typically (very roughly) engineered to sustain 500-1,000 full charge/discharge cycles or at least two years of use before the capacity decreases to around 50% of the original design value. On the other hand, this is what they're bought for; and they also start losing capacity as soon as they are manufactured, even if not used.

Most other components should in principle be OK to work all the time as long as adequate cooling is provided. If you keep running the laptop for long hours, you might have to replace the fan(s) at some point, or at least clean them; particularly if they're used in a dusty environment. Lifetime decreases and failure rate increases as the operating temperature gets higher.

One exception is the HDD, which I would expect to fail early if you use it a lot (less so if it's just a secondary drive and you let it spindle down when not in use). It would be best to use an SSD for primary storage in such a scenario.

Guru
Views: 808
Message 7 of 7

Hi there,

I think your question was clearly answered in my first post and now has been elaborated on as well.

Please close the thread once you are satisfied.

Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors